Backcountry Sharpening Stone

TheCougar

WKR
I’m looking for a potential replacement for my backcountry sharpening tool. I’ve been using a Fallkniven DC4 (2.2oz) as my sharpening stone in my kit. I like it, but wish it was capable of refining the edge a bit more (1000 grit seems to be my favorite for a quick edge touch up). There is no specification for the DC4s grit, but the ceramic side feels like it’s around 600 grit. If it had a 600grit side and a 1000 grit side, that would be perfect.

Are there any recommended options out there for a lightweight (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Work Sharp Field Sharpener. It's double the weight, but has everything you need to get your tools scary sharp.

Shraggs

WKR
All my knives are convex but my system will work for any edge.

Made my own leather strop using the short paint stick with leather glued on both sides and strips of 500, 1000 and 1500 grit paper. Compound already rubbed into leather , black and white. And a spyderco white flat ceramic stone measures 1x4”. Whole kit weights 2.5 oz

Lawnboi

WKR
Sandpaper.

I have the same stone I keep in the truck. But I will only carry sand paper. It weighs nothing. One piece of 1000 grit gets me about to where I want to be, if I even end up needing it.

The paint stick strop idea sounds good.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Sandpaper.

I have the same stone I keep in the truck. But I will only carry sand paper. It weighs nothing. One piece of 1000 grit gets me about to where I want to be, if I even end up needing it.

The paint stick strop idea sounds good.
What do you put the sandpaper on as a flat surface when sharpening?

Lawnboi

WKR
What do you put the sandpaper on as a flat surface when sharpening?
Whatever I have handy.

Last year it was a chunk of cardboard. Folded up map works good too

This year I might try the paint stick.

Usually any touching up iv had to do is at the truck. But I do carry a little more on camping trips where I’ll be making fire often

Beendare

WKR
Along the ;lines of what Old Navy uses.....I use the lighter pocket model in Fine HERE

I don't have any use for a coarse or med stone...only fine or very fine for touch ups.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used to carry a DMT, but found that the Havalon is lighter and smaller and has many blades that I can use without sharpening in the field. And my S30V fixed blade knife will easily make it through a couple animals before needing resharpening, so the sharpening devices stay home now.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, my knives are such good steel I don't need to touch them up in the field...but I do use the DMT for BH's

I'm not a fan of that throw away crap...my guide buddy uses those Havalons....he had to use 10 blades on the two elk we killed last fall....and cut himself when the animal shifted on the very steep side slope and one blade snapped.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks for all the ideas! I typically do use a havalon, but I also carry a s30v benchmade knife with me. I love using the havalon - I can do an elk with one blade as long as I don’t get careless. I still carry my sharpening stone whenever o am packing a fixed blade knife, however.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Along the ;lines of what Old Navy uses.....I use the lighter pocket model in Fine HERE

I don't have any use for a coarse or med stone...only fine or very fine for touch ups.

I’m with you on the grit... fine and extra fine are perfect for touching up in the field.

Lawnboi

WKR
I got a paint stick strop put together this weekend. Looks like it will work slick.

I also impulse bought a DMT diamond hone that’s shaped like a credit card designed to be put in a wallet. Pretty light and decent size

Last edited:

mcdonder

FNG
DMT makes a set of small diamond stones with plastic handles that I like a lot. Very lightweight and low profile and nearly indestructible

i keep the work sharp field sharpener in the truck and carry the work sharp pocket sharpener in my pack.