Backcountry side arm

jchal3

FNG
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between .357 mag, 44 SPL, and 44 mag.

Need something for bears and hogs and such, but I'd like to have a birdshot option for pesky snakes.

Thanks for your input

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

ChukarUp

FNG
I used to carry a S&W Model 60 revolver in .357 mag. Small and reliable. Wish I still had that one. It's a little light for the magnums but you can practice shooting it with 38's, and carry with the 357's. Good luck.

BuckSnort

WKR
44 mag, the recoil is not as snappy as a 357 and you can shoot 44 special out of it when you really want mild recoil...

I'll be carrying a Glock G20 10mm with Double Tap ammo on this years elk hunt. First year elk hunting, so I'm definitely a noobie. But after a bunch of research, this is the caliber I selected.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

charvey9

WKR
I carry a S&W 329PD in .44 Mag with a 4" barrel. Its their ultralight version, with scandium frame and titanium cylinder. Lighter than a .357 with more punch. I shoot Buffalo Bore 305gr core cast bullets, which will put the hurt on anything. It bucks, but not designed to be a gun you shoot all day every day at the range. It is a great backcountry carry option.

I used to occasionally backpack a Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo. I carried it in a El Paso Saddlery leather Tanker Holster, which sits securely on your chest above the waist belt between shoulder straps. Perfect setup for hiking, fly fishing, etc.

I usually leave it at home now, because I've had multiple close encounters with coyotes and bears (3 different black bears) in Colorado. Coyotes just lope away and every bear I've encountered has huffed at me a couple times before running at full speed into the forest. I don't backpack in heavily impacted "tourist" areas where problem bears might be encountered. If I lived in Montana or similar - wolves and grizzly - I might think differently.

Still, it's fun every now and then.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I used to occasionally backpack a Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast ammo. I carried it in a El Paso Saddlery leather Tanker Holster, which sits securely on your chest above the waist belt between shoulder straps. Perfect setup for hiking, fly fishing, etc.

I usually leave it at home now, because I've had multiple close encounters with coyotes and bears (3 different black bears) in Colorado. Coyotes just lope away and every bear I've encountered has huffed at me a couple times before running at full speed into the forest. I don't backpack in heavily impacted "tourist" areas where problem bears might be encountered. If I lived in Montana or similar - wolves and grizzly - I might think differently.

Still, it's fun every now and then.

This reminded me of an encounter we had last year. Me and one of my hunting friends where side hilling it to our hunt spot before first light last year. I was ahead of him and we where walking along. He taps on the shoulder I turn around to look at him and zoom goes a 250 pound black bear zooming by us 15 yards below us on the side of the hill. It was pretty crazy but showed me how quickly those bears get the heck out of the way of people here in Colorado. The bear probably didn't even see us till the last second which made him bolt past us below.

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards the 44 mag, but I don't know if the carry weight is worth it.

I'm actually going to just bring my carry pistol this year, SW m&p shield performance model in 40sw. With the trigger work, I can't believe how accurate I am with this thing. I had a stand off last year at dark with a mountain lion last year, which was not cool. So, going to carry this and have a knife as a back up.

CCH

WKR
After some time spent with compact .357s, DA .44s and even a Blackhawk .41 mag, I have settled on a Glock 20SF. Very good compromise of light weight, controllability and power.

TEmbry

WKR
I carry a Glock 10mm with double tap ammo as well. I'm comfortable with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charvey9

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning towards the 44 mag, but I don't know if the carry weight is worth it.

Main reason why I carry a 329PD.

S&W 329PD .44 Mag - 25.2 Ounces

Glock 40 10mm - 28.2 Ounces

Ruger SP101 .357 - 27 Ounces

Taurus Tracker .357 - 28 Ounces

OP
J

jchal3

FNG
Yeah, that 329pd is pretty sweet, but it's also close to the highest price one I've seen.

CCH

WKR
329s are very nice, but repeat shots are much slower and more challenging. For lightweight and first shot power, they are pretty impressive.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I opted for a Glock 20 10mm, shooting a hot load.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Peter K

Lil-Rokslider
Check out a Smith & Wesson 69. A little heavier than a 329, but that helps with recoil and is a couple hundred cheaper. I got one 3 months ago and love it!