Backcountry Sleeping Bags

What sleeping bags are people using for backcountry hunts? Currently, I have a Big Agnes Lost Dog 15 and really like it. Just curious what everyone else is using. If I were to get another bag for colder temps, would you go 0 degree or -10+?

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
Western Mountaineering 15 and 5. I sleep a heck of a lot better when I have a sleeping bag rated at least 15 degrees lower than the actual temps. It's the difference between waking up every 30minutes to readjust vs just cozy as hell and sleeping like a rock.

oldman

FNG
Wiggy's out of Grand Junction...several styles and temp ranges...the very best I have ever used.

bozeman

WKR
Western Mountaineering.....Kifaru Slick Bag.....different uses......just learn from me freezing to death before I bought these.....DONT SKIMP on a sleeping back.....can make for a miserable night.

Bl704

WKR
Western Mountaineering.....Kifaru Slick Bag.....different uses......just learn from me freezing to death before I bought these.....DONT SKIMP on a sleeping back.....can make for a miserable night.
Assumed you are using slick for pnw/damp needs and the wm for dryer conditions.

Decker9

WKR
Iv used WM antelope, the slick bag and taiga works. The Kifaru got sold right away, couldn’t warm up to the center zip, plus lack of loft/comfort. Love my WM bag, but honestly my newest taiga works at half the cost, is right on par with my WM for quality and true rating. If I was to do it all again, I’d 100% go with taiga.

zscott

FNG
I have an enlightened equipment enigma quilt (30 degree) that I use during the early and mid season. I could extend that into the later season if I sleep in my insulation layers but prefer to just take a bag at that point. I have a couple since we are a family of 5 but I typically use a Rab neutrino 10 degree bag for late season.

In my opinion you wont see much of a difference between a 0 and a 15 degree bag. A 15 can get you down to zero pretty quick with some warmer clothes or a liner/bivy. I'd get a bag rated at -10 or so to have more versatility in your gear arsenal.

Bl704

WKR
I live in the PNW and use a Western Mountaineering Badger for everything
I could see the case for one or both based on my shelter, weather and location /circumstances (e.g. Remote AK fly in, the slick... A solid shelter and /or could hike out of in an oh sh*t event WM).

I had a tarp rig with a treated down bag that got soaked hiking in the Appalachians in rain for a couple days. Hypothermia, is not on my do over list

WM Antelope for me for the last 7 years. Actually I still have an old 5 degree 900 fill north face I bought 30+ years ago as well. Its a great back but a pound heavier than thw WM.

WM Sycamore (25F) for early and Southern use. Overstuffed WM Sequoia (5F) for lste/Western. In extreme cold I also bring a MLD 38 quilt as an extra layer.

BronkoRob

FNG
Ive been doing alright with my Nemo 15 degree bag and a fleece liner if i need. pretty nice bag, but I went with Nemo until I can afford a western mountaineering or feathered friends bags. Ive got a few alpine mountaineering buddies who have been using various feathered friends and western mountaineering bags for decades and swear by them.

They also beat into me sleeping bag care. Down bags arent something you just keep in a stuff sack compressed for years and dont ever clean for decades. poor care will effect the how the bag performs.

If you went with feathered friends or western mountaineering, odds are you could get a 0 degree bag for the same weight or lighter then your big agnes. if your good with the weight of your current bag and you really are in the 0-15 degree range, might as well go as low as you can without adding more weight.

What sleeping bags are people using for backcountry hunts? Currently, I have a Big Agnes Lost Dog 15 and really like it. Just curious what everyone else is using. If I were to get another bag for colder temps, would you go 0 degree or -10+?
Did you end up picking a bag? I also have the lost dog 15 and I love it for how roomy it is and I really like the way it attaches to the pad. I want to get a warmer, down bag but that is still as roomy as the big Agnes and also attaches to the pad in some way.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk