Backcountry Snacks - Nut Allergy Edition

Silver

FNG
So I learned something this fall - even at 32 years old it is possible to develop allergies to nuts (halfway through a loop hike is a bad time to discover this - helicopters get involved). So far peanuts are the most pronounced, but it is seeming like tree nuts/almonds are not far behind. My backcountry snack bag has always been heavy on trail mix, bars and a jar of peanut butter, so I'm really going to have to re-think this...

For those with allergies, what goes into your snack bag? I'm looking for home made and bought options (I've dehydrated my own meals for years, but usually buy snacks - not opposed to changing that). Most of my trips are backpack in for 5-8 days, so the more calorie dense the better.

Cheers

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Search “Logan Bread”

You will come up with a few different recipes. This way you cut out whatever you’re allergic to or don’t like.... I have made this several times for hunting trips and have tweaked the recipe to what I like. My hunting partners and I have taken turns making it and it’s always turned out good. It’s like cutting a brownie, you decide how big of pieces you want to cut.

Same boat here. No nuts while camping. Plus no eggs and very limited chicken!

Lots of venison jerky, honey stingers, and M&Ms. A good full breakfast of oatmeal. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are fine for me. Corn "nuts" (hominy). Licorice. Plenty of tuna and maybe one chicken foil packet. BIG dehydrated meal for supper.