Backcountry Solo; How Many Days? Backcountry Partners; How Many Days?

How many days at a time do you guys stay in the backcountry when hunting elk?

I’ve done it different ways. I’ve been out as long as 11 I believe and I’ve done all the way down to overnighters and several hunts in between that. I’ve also split time between backcountry and truck camp 5 days at a time. I’ve been 3 miles in typically and hunted probably another 3 or 4 miles in extending my effective range so to speak. The only difference in weight, is the amount of food. And water if it’s a dry unit like the Gila. That is why I have a 1 size fits all pack. It tightens down to a great daypack as well.

how bout you guys?

Gapmaster

WKR
I kinda let the unit and the hunt dictate that. But if I’m just going in on say 10-12 day hunt, I’ll throw a max of 5 nights/6 day food in my pack. If I haven’t connected after that many days I’ve probably ran every critter out of the country. Been a few times I came out, refueled and straight back in. But I’m usually moving if I come out empty handed. Of course been a few times I loaded to the max for 6+ days just to hump it all back out the next day cause it was a bust.
I’m a glutton for punishment I guess.

Solo, the longest for me is usually 2-3 nights. That's not always the original plan but by then I've typically either made a kill or decided that due to lack of Elk/Sign in the area that packing up and moving elsewhere to repeat the process is necessary.

With partners the backcountry stay is usually either a bit shorter or a bit longer, maybe by a night or two on either end. It's typically harder for multiple people to agree on packing up camp and starting fresh in an entirely new area after just a few days. Conversely, there have been times when someone is not prepared mentally or physically, or forgets a critical item, thus ending the trip early.

I’m limited on what I can haul by owning a 3500 pack. That means I leave camp and have to hike out after five or so to replenish. I hunt solo so don’t think having someone else there would make a difference.

3 days max. I love staying in the back-country at night, but actually think the tide has turned unless you're not hunting wolf country. Far less elk and far far far more people in deep compared to even 5-6 years ago. The glory days are gone for most of the west. Even though it's not as fun, get comfortable hiking for hours and hours in the dark so you can do more day hunts and stay mobile. Unless your top goal is the experience, not to harvest. I know, I hate it too.

PLucas

FNG
3 days max. I love staying in the back-country at night, but actually think the tide has turned unless you're not hunting wolf country. Far less elk and far far far more people in deep compared to even 5-6 years ago. The glory days are gone for most of the west. Even though it's not as fun, get comfortable hiking for hours and hours in the dark so you can do more day hunts and stay mobile. Unless your top goal is the experience, not to harvest. I know, I hate it too.
This is sad to hear from a newish hunter planning his first trip west.

Gerbdog

WKR
I would not despair, elk hunting is what you make of it, there are still elk out here, you as the hunter will just need to adjust to the hunting pressure. I agree that there are a lot of people out here hunting but the elk arent packing up and crossing the ocean, they're just moving to where they feel safe, that will be up to you to figure out. The hiking / camping / beat dead tired experience of elk hunting will always be there, so will the excitement of the bugle in the morning before hunting hours and getting a response and seeing elk, assuming you can find where the elk are hiding and assuming you can make a call they wanna respond to. I haven seen the stats from 2020 yet but i assume the success rate remains basically the same as it has for a long long time....

on topic, i've gone solo for as much as 9 days back country and made a decision not to do that again, i have also done this with hunting partners and it makes the experience much better. Some folks are built for that kind of solitude but i am not one of them, at least not for that kind of time period. Last year i was just doing day hunts from the truck but i had put in scouting trips previously in the summer so i found some good hunting ground that was day huntable. The plans all change whether the elk are there or not

squirrel

WKR
38 days was my longest solo adventure but it was for goats w/bow. Never been over 30 for elk, most well under 15 as they tend to vacate and in chasing after them why not come out and shower and re-supply. Most of my adventures now don't count as solo as I have my woolly support crew along and my dog.

Don't let it discourage you. The people it's super sad for are those of us that have been bow hunting elk for over 20 years. My point was just that, in the current climate, being mobile is usually of more value than sinking a lot of time into a single area. Unless you get really lucky with where you go.

I would invest my time in an area with lower wolf impacts. You'll get much more natural bugling action and elk that are much more likely to stay in the same basin longer.

Reminds me of a basin that had about 9 different bulls going off as I was hiking out in the dark. Come back next morning, some joker set his tent up at the top mouth of the canyon for the thermals to carry his scent through the whole valley. Wolves were much less of a problem than other people ime.

I shake my head everytime I see some YouTube star setting up their camp on a ridgeline. No wonder they always spot game a couple basins away since they've blown out their immediate area before ever setting up the tripod. Learn to hike in the dark every morning regardless of spike camping or day hunting. A camp way down in the timber isn't sexy, but it's more effective.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I was spending 4 days and 3 nights out last season about 3-4 miles deep. Was coming out to resupply on food, but primarily to spend some time fishing with my dad. Made the trip better to spend some quality time verses leaving him at basecamp by himself the whole time. Was definitely worth missing out on one day of hunting to get rested up and make some memories.

Huntnnw

WKR
somehow decades of hunting and I rarely run into hunters.. do more research or hike into places others wont.