Backcountry stock help

Pgohil

WKR
Strongly considering horses for my next deep woods Elk adventure in September 2020. I have plenty of experience Backcountry hunting and camping but none with horses. I've ridden horses on and off most of my life.

Taking care of them is my biggest concern especially when subjected the grizzlies and big cats. Been reading a lot of the posts here on this subform I'm getting a lot of good ideas and knowledge.Can anyone point me to a reference book , website, etc to learn more about caring for horses in the backcountry?

Thanks!

PGohil
WV

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Not to many years ago, I was in your boat... and I was green as can be. (Still probably am 😂) One thing looking back, I have no idea why I was so nervous about it. I’ve been on multiple pack in trips alone w/ my mules in grizz country and I’ve never had an issue. You have nothing to worry about with cats imo.

The best book I have read on the matter is Horses, Hitches and Rocky Trails, “The Packers Bible” by Joe Black. Although a lot of it wasn’t really applicable to my situation as I don’t get into the big pack strings, etc. and I personally come from the school of thought less is more, and I can be damn effective using lightweight backpacking gear w/ one pack animal and my saddle mule. But there is some good info in there!

Good luck man, I’d jump in head first and I wouldn’t look back. Best decision I have made.

Get on Facebook and look up packing rocks on mules & horses- packers, hunters, campers, stockusers. The name was changing to rocks as a joke but then can’t switch it back for 30 days but it’s adminned by the gentleman that owns royal fine guide school in wyoming. Lot of new, ametuer and seasoned packers on it always willing to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Thanks for the information and resources folks.

PGohil
WV

EastMont

FNG
Get on Facebook and look up packing rocks on mules & horses- packers, hunters, campers, stockusers. The name was changing to rocks as a joke but then can’t switch it back for 30 days but it’s adminned by the gentleman that owns royal fine guide school in wyoming. Lot of new, ametuer and seasoned packers on it always willing to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That facebook group is a amazing resource.

Packing with burros by Dave Daney is good as well if your interested in small statured animals.

I don't worry about lions or wolves.

Griz? This is my second year packing into griz country. Haven't had any problems yet, but we did have one come within about 400yards of camp. he could have cared less.

My problem with grizzlies is I don't know how worried to be around them. I'm sure its my nievness/ignorance. But I don't fret to much about it.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I'm learning a lot. A second thought that I have is twofold.

1) renting animals vs paying someone for a drop camp we select

2) or backpacking in, and paying a packer to haul meat if successful.

Thoughts?

Thanks

EastMont

FNG
Those are probably the best options if your looking to get the most hunting in and you can get in by foot. No animal caring time in the morning and evenings. A packer on call and a delorme in-reach is the cheapest and easiest option. A $600 pack out is well worth it.

What area will you be hunting?
I lease horses every year , it's a very reasonable cost compared to owning the stock.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
We are hoping to draw Montana with 2 points each. Haven't picked a unit yet. Will be western Montana most likely.

The more I read and understand the requirements the more I'm looking into either A) hiring someone to pack us in and out, or B hiking as deep as we want, and then pay a packer to bring out meat if successful.

I'm learning a lot. A second thought that I have is twofold.

1) renting animals vs paying someone for a drop camp we select

2) or backpacking in, and paying a packer to haul meat if successful.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Stock takes a lot of time and commitment not only when you're hunting but every other day of the year too. They're not like a four wheeler that can be parked for 9 months and run the same. They need conditioning training and consistent use to stay at the same level. The more use the better they get. It can be a burden and blessing at the same time. I wouldn't do it with out them, it's half the fun for me.

Werty

WKR
Time is how you learn to deal with livestock, find someone who has livestock. Ask them for help.

Brooks

WKR
The most important thing about back country packing and hunting I can tell you is, sure you need some know how but to me the very most important part of being in the back/high county with horses is hands down having good horses !!! Good horses will make it easy, green horses will make it a challenge, a big challenge !! Get some good horses and go for it.

The most important thing about back country packing and hunting I can tell you is, sure you need some know how but to me the very most important part of being in the back/high county with horses is hands down having good horses !!! Good horses will make it easy, green horses will make it a challenge, a big challenge !! Get some good horses and go for it.

I'll second those thoughts. It's really rewarding and satisfying though when you turn a green horse into an all around mountain horse that safely packs and rides.

One word of advice that my buddy and I have learned, when you have the inevitable wreck in the mountains, trying to stop it is a fool's errand. Just let it happen, pick up the pieces when it's all done, and keep on going!

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I am 100% in agreeance with everything said. Coming from the East, renting is the only option that I see feasible. With that being said, riding and caring for stock in the backcountry there is a way different then doing so here here. And I know there are tons of people that do it regularly I don't think it would work out well for us. We have limited time and resources in which to hunt and try to fill our tags. Properly caring for stock would definitely take away from that.

Going forward we are looking at hiking in deeper with camp on her back and having a packer available to bring meat out.