Backcountry T3x Stock

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a T3x in 6.5c and was wondering what guys were running for a lightweight stock. I prefer something with a vertical grip, but that usually means a big clunky tactical style. Any suggestions?

Sadler

WKR
Check out Mesa precision or Alterra arms. Those two seem to be the go to’s for aftermarket tikka stocks

Yeah hard to beat the factory stock with the vertical grip. Definitely won’t find $600 worth of improvement over it with any aftermarket option. I own an Alterra stock on a custom gun and wouldn’t spend the money replacing a Tikka stock with one.

Fatcamp

WKR
I put a vertical grip and some stickers on my factory stock. You never know what's gonna happen when I'm around.

OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I’m planning on getting the vertical grip for it. Wasn’t sure if there was anything that was significantly lighter and/or more comfortable. I should probably just spend the money on ammo and shoot it more. Thanks!

ericwh

WKR
The "soft touch" or whatever version of the vertical grip is pretty nice IMO. Better than the standard version.

Motown

WKR
Yeah, I’m planning on getting the vertical grip for it. Wasn’t sure if there was anything that was significantly lighter and/or more comfortable. I should probably just spend the money on ammo and shoot it more. Thanks!
I agree with this statement 100%. I own quite a few tikkas and over the years I always felt the need to tinker with things and try different stocks. For some reason I always come back to the factory t3x stocks and I am done spending $600 each time when really all that you are doing is maybe saving an extras 4-5 ounces on an already light rifle and it does not to improve accuracy. Take that extra $600-$700 and use it to upgrade to better optics, or like you said buy more ammo.

Are the aftermarket stocks really any lighter? Having looked into this some I found the Wildcat Composites stock was lighter, everything else the same or heavier.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think most are going to an aftermarket stock in search of something other than losing weight. That’s why I have changed out my tikka stocks.

OP
Zackw

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you tried the tikka beavertail forearm? Just wondering how solid it is & if it’s worth it. I figure that if I’m gonna get it, I might as well order them both at the same time & save on shipping.

B93DEBB5-4C1D-48DA-B9F5-7933A1B72F51.jpeg
Mesa Precision Altitude had more stiffness over the factory if you are loading a bipod right worried about flex. I’m pretty happy with mine. The factory stock is the best plastic stock I’ve used, but there is still some flex in the forend.

Have any of you tried the tikka beavertail forearm? Just wondering how solid it is & if it’s worth it. I figure that if I’m gonna get it, I might as well order them both at the same time & save on shipping.

I haven’t tried this version, I liked the version on my old t3 varmint though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my 6.5 Manbun sporter weight and took it out of the factory T3X stock and put it in an older T3 Varmint stock. The wider fore-end and cheek piece were a definite asset in terms of shooting over packs, bags, etc.

FwqmoS1.jpg

BXGb2B8.jpg

Plus there were no contact points on the barrel, since the stock was designed for a Varmint barrel, and I had a 24" sporter barrel.

BCy3Hul.jpg

The sporter barrel in a Varmint stock seems to be a perfect combo, based on using both styles of stocks.
pKZo1ZO.jpg

I have another T3, with a 6mm Rem Lilja barrel screwed onto it, in a T3 Varmint stock that I have had for years and it is super easy to shoot well.

The beavertail forearm would be the same basic concept, so I would say "Yes", absolutely.