Backcountry Treats

Hondo

WKR
Dried sausage (pork & venison) and no-bake peanut butter balls. Cliff bars when I fail to make peanut butter balls.

This may be on another thread, but what is everyone's favorite backcountry treat (food or drink)? Something you really look forward to having, and only have at a certain time, or maybe only pack one per day to keep it special.
I guess I'm not a foodie at all because I have lived for weeks on the same 3 or 4 things every day, and never felt like I was missing anything. LOL

But if I had to pick something, it would be my coffee. I'm not gonna lie - a Starbuck's Via and hot cup of water at the right time really perks me up.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Reeses fast break.
Those things are unbelievable. We don't get em in Canada so whenever I head down across the border I get a king size from the gas station, and usually one or two other varieties we don't get up here, and quickly end up with a stomach ache. I'm a Reese's fanatic, and the fast breaks are my favourite.

For backcountry treats, there's a copycat espresso cacao RX bar recipe I've made a few times that's delicious, and a dehydrated coconut bacon recipe I got from a Heathers Choice book that's phenomenal. Peanut and peanut butter m&ms are top shelf as well.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on sour patch ! Hardest week ever to have a 2 pound bag in back country and try not get into it until there is a kill !

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
Nature valley oats n honey granola bar topped with Apple sauce from a single serve packet.... thank me later

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Come on guys!!...about noon if you pull out a 8.4oz redbull.
Life instantly just got better.
That's usually wut I look forward to most...

Nutty bars, and oatmeal creme pies are a daily staple on a rotating basis.
Also at the half way point of the hunt we always have a mountain house raspberry crumble. I won't eat one at home, because I don't want to ruin how amazing they are on day 5 by realising they are only average!

HoneyDew

WKR
Dried sausage (pork & venison) and no-bake peanut butter balls. Cliff bars when I fail to make peanut butter balls.
Care to elaborate on the no bake peanut butter balls. Anything special or any google recipe will do?

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I hate to admit this but Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies and a cup of good dark coffee never tasted better than watching the sun come up.

Hondo

WKR
Care to elaborate on the no bake peanut butter balls. Anything special or any google recipe will do?

I started from a googled recipe which is basically a 2 to 1 mixture of rolled oats to peanut butter. From there you can add whatever you want. I vary the additional ingredients but lately have been adding bee pollen, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds and dried cherries. I can generally add up to 1 unit of additional items to the base mix, so for example, 2 cups of rolled oats, 1 cup of peanut butter and 1 cup of the add-ins. After mixing them together, I form balls and place them on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and refrigerate overnight. Then I wrap each one in plastic wrap and freeze them inside a zip-lock bag ready to grab when I need them.

HoneyDew

WKR
I started from a googled recipe which is basically a 2 to 1 mixture of rolled oats to peanut butter. From there you can add whatever you want. I vary the additional ingredients but lately have been adding bee pollen, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds and dried cherries. I can generally add up to 1 unit of additional items to the base mix, so for example, 2 cups of rolled oats, 1 cup of peanut butter and 1 cup of the add-ins. After mixing them together, I form balls and place them on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and refrigerate overnight. Then I wrap each one in plastic wrap and freeze them inside a zip-lock bag ready to grab when I need them.
Appreciate the clarification. I imagine they thaw pretty quick. Do they turn to mush once thawed or do they hold their own? Is this a day1-3 snack or you can eat them all week?