Backcountry tree stand?

Anyone have any experience with using any sort of ultralight treestands? I haven’t used a treestand since about 2006 and back then I was using ladder stands and gorilla stands because I could drive dang near to the tree and weight obviously didn’t matter.
My thinking was next year I’d pack in a stand (5 1/2 miles) and set it up a few weeks before rifle season opens when I’m pulling trail cameras.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Might get more response in the whitetail forum. Be sure to specify if you will leave it up versus hang it/tear down every hunt. There is an entire industry around “mobile treestand hunting” with ultralight saddles and stands and carbon fiber sticks and one-sticking, etc to confuse you about what the best options are…but there are plenty of options at least.
Check out the lightweight stand/sticks setups from millenium, novix, hunting beast, lone wolf custom, tethrd, timber ninja, eastern woods outdoor, etc. If you’re just packing in the stand and sticks before the season and leaving it, you don’t even need an ultralight, you could pack in a full size stand and a couple of sticks and be under 20 pounds, and carry it all like a backpack. An ultralight stand is going to be pretty small, so if you’re the type who’s going to sit in it for a long time, it might feel snug, but will save you 5 to 10 pounds off a larger stand. Ultralight sticks you can get down to 1 pound per stick—might not want to leave those hanging in the woods all season though. If theft will be an issue, you could consider removing the bottom stick or two and pack that in and out with you each hunt.
I do hunt that way during our archery season, but given how much elbow room there is in that type of situation I prefer to move the set around and set up for each hunt. A saddle is lighter for that and way less cumbersome to carry around.

Last edited:

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I run a tree saddle. sub 5lb total weight all in whole kit fits in two cargo pant pockets. Or the lid on a daypack.

Beendare

WKR
I’ve used my saddle on some long off trail spots in the mountains where hauling a treestand would be a pain.

In most cases of a mile or so over easy ground, I prefer a hang on.

reckonill

FNG
I use to carry a LW Assault but now its a saddle and a Big B.O.B. if I'm going light

Luked

WKR
Tree Saddle and a 1 stick setup is what I would be looking at doing if I were you.
Look up some of the videos on You Tube about 1 sticking.
The Platform I use for my saddle set up here at home is pretty good and weighs a few pounds.