Backcountry Tripod Review: Slik 624 vs the Promaster XC525c, by Brock Akers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide Moderator Brock Akers puts two very popular backcountry tripods head-to-head (no pun intended).

See how they functioned, which one might be right for you, and if there was a clear winner.

(thanks to 1-Shot Gear and S&S Archery for supplying the tripods.)

Backcountry Tripods: Slik 624 vs Promaster XC525C

Last edited:

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Slik the weight should be 29oz. Wonder why there's such a large discrepancy in weight. 6.5oz is a huge difference.
Is that the old slik with the twist locks? I had the new version with the flick locks. Definitely heavier.

Is that the old slik with the twist locks? I had the new version with the flick locks. Definitely heavier.

Looks to be the twist lock, but that's all they have on their website. Same goes for the 1shotgear site. I know I would be pretty mad if I spent that much money on a lightweight tripod that ended up almost a half pound heavier.

Would your preference change if the Slik had twist locks and actually came in lighter?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would your preference change if the Slik had twist locks and actually came in lighter?

Probably not. The quality is phenomenal on the promaster.

Not saying the slik is bad by any means. It's still a great tripod.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The quality is phenomenal on the promaster.

Maybe I got a bad one, but I had some issues with my Promaster. A couple of the twist locks stripped out and wouldn't tighten, and had an issue where the head attaches. Now I have the Slik 634CF.

By chance have you ever tried the Sirui T-25X?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I got a bad one, but I had some issues with my Promaster. A couple of the twist locks stripped out and wouldn't tighten, and had an issue where the head attaches. Now I have the Slik 634CF.

By chance have you ever tried the Sirui T-25X?

That's too bad about your promaster. Must have been a lemon.

That Sirui T-25X looks absolutely identical to the promaster... weird.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
5miles, you and me been spoiled by those old Toyota trucks- everything else mechanical pales in comparison!

sneaky

"DADDY"
If only Toyota would build a tripod we would be set Robby

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
5miles, you and me been spoiled by those old Toyota trucks- everything else mechanical pales in comparison!

You've got that right. I was just talking to a guy yesterday about trucks. And my 27 year old Toyota is still as tight as the day I bought it, no squeaks, no rattles, and no leaks. I drove a 2010 Chevy with 40k miles on it and the entire truck rattled so bad I was ready to drive it off a cliff.

The reason I asked about the Sirui is that I have the Sirui K-10x ball head on my Slik, and it appears to be very well made.....very smooth and tight tolerances. I'd be interested in the T-25X if it's the same quality. Much more compact than my Slik.

russ_outdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my Slik 624 yesterday from Rob. Great tripod. Mine comes in at 29 ounces. The one in the review is a different model that weighs more and does not have the twist lock legs. It's my understanding only S and S Archery carries this model. My use to this point is limited, but it is light, stable and has enough height to use with a spotter or binoculars when seated at a standard chair height. I've got an Outdoorsman micro head on top and I'm very happy with the setup. Thanks Rob for the quick shipping and making this model available.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just got my Slik 624 yesterday from Rob. Great tripod. Mine comes in at 29 ounces. The one in the review is a different model that weighs more and does not have the twist lock legs. It's my understanding only S and S Archery carries this model. My use to this point is limited, but it is light, stable and has enough height to use with a spotter or binoculars when seated at a standard chair height. I've got an Outdoorsman micro head on top and I'm very happy with the setup. Thanks Rob for the quick shipping and making this model available.
Thanks!

aggieland

WKR
Bumping this thread.... I currently have a silk 624 and really like it. But I'm wanting something I can use standing with binoculars. Using the outdoorsmans pistol head. Can you guys suggest what would work best? The promaster or a larger size silk? Might sell or trade mine for something taller. Thanks for any info!!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bumping this thread.... I currently have a silk 624 and really like it. But I'm wanting something I can use standing with binoculars. Using the outdoorsmans pistol head. Can you guys suggest what would work best? The promaster or a larger size silk? Might sell or trade mine for something taller. Thanks for any info!!
I use my promaster to glass standing up more often then I thought I would. Especially if I've been glassing all day, it's nice to take a break from sitting and actually stand up. I only have experience with the promaster though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk