Backcountry turkey hunt

TomM

FNG
Been kicking around the idea of doing a backpacking turkey hunt in western NC one spring. Would be a great way to get out and maybe do some trout fishing as well. I know from my hikes that deer numbers are way less than in ag areas but not so sure on Turks. Plan would be to simply run-n-gun type tactics, or call and move until you could locate birds.

Anyone done something similar? See many other hunters? Etc.

griffinit

Lil-Rokslider
Yes but out West, just head for turkeyish areas. Hike and call/spot and stalk all day. Pretty fun usually pick up a few sheds a long the way. My best/closest turkey encounters are on these type of hunts because usually I run into a lone tom out cruising.

Pow

FNG
I'm sure they exist, but I'm always trying to find spots for this in Colorado too and so far the day hunting spots are way better. Half the fun for hunting for me is the camping and backpacking.

Yep, here in western Colorado this is how I like to hunt them. They move a lot during our spring season, I find, along with the snow melt. That depends on the spring we have. Like griffinitt said, Hike & call, get an answer then the duel is on. Set up camp near by. Run & gun doesn't work with these guys, they will out run you and fly across creeks and rivers or up n down steep cliffs. Elk with wings!

Fun for sure, didn't go last year, planning already. Oh yeah sheds a bonus

Here's a hen running out of my camp spot.

5KOw4y2h.jpg

Last edited:
OP
T

TomM

FNG
By run and gun I mean call and move, repeat until one hollers back to you. Then move in a bit and setup. Not try to stalk one.

I hear you guys on the hiking and other activites. I usually find myself hiking around in the spring with a light spinning outfit after brook trout and thought why not hunt some birds. I would think the further off the beaten path, the less call shy they would be. Just no idea on what the populations are like. When I’m trout fishing the backcountry I am usually near a stream, so don’t hear any gobbling usually.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I live up in Boone, NC, the Pisgah isn't far from me. I'm an avid waterfowl hunter (not around here), but turkeys never did much for me ... With that said, they're all over the place here. I see them at least 2 times a week just driving around. I'm sure there would be some in the Pisgah where you can do some back country hunts.

OP
T

TomM

FNG
I live up in Boone, NC, the Pisgah isn't far from me. I'm an avid waterfowl hunter (not around here), but turkeys never did much for me ... With that said, they're all over the place here. I see them at least 2 times a week just driving around. I'm sure there would be some in the Pisgah where you can do some back country hunts.

Awesome, thanks! Probably not going to happen this spring, but for sure next. Already have a FL and PA tag to work on this Spring. Given my poor hearing and calling, that will be enough challenge. Hopefully do some trout fishing in the Pisgah here in a couple months.

I hunt in the Pisgah every year. I pack in about 3 miles and hunt. I have had pretty good luck up there. I haven't killed something every year but I have had action. Just don't always do my part completely. Last year I had a bird come in behind me quiet. The year before that I got a bird the first day and had birds going the second day. Just couldn't connect. I got excited and I think I over called.

Anyway this year I have a bit of a dilemma. I deer hunted a new spot and really liked the woods. I camped for 4 days and never saw another guy. That being said I don't have a clue about birds in there. There is water, food, and good roosting trees but that doesn't always translate into birds. Sooooo, do I try a new spot for my backpack hunt or go to the old tried and true. Decisions ,decisions.

hobbes

WKR
I hunt in the Pisgah every year. I pack in about 3 miles and hunt. I have had pretty good luck up there. I haven't killed something every year but I have had action. Just don't always do my part completely. Last year I had a bird come in behind me quiet. The year before that I got a bird the first day and had birds going the second day. Just couldn't connect. I got excited and I think I over called.

Anyway this year I have a bit of a dilemma. I deer hunted a new spot and really liked the woods. I camped for 4 days and never saw another guy. That being said I don't have a clue about birds in there. There is water, food, and good roosting trees but that doesn't always translate into birds. Sooooo, do I try a new spot for my backpack hunt or go to the old tried and true. Decisions ,decisions.

Scout it before season and see if there are birds there. Good luck.

Scout it before season and see if there are birds there. Good luck.
I hope to but with 2 jobs, 2 kids playing soccer, and a Kayak I got for Christmas to fish out of the spring schedule may be pretty full. I'll try to make something work though. I may just plan on a shorter back pack trip to the new place and a short backpack trip to the old. Split my efforts between the 2 spots and see how it goes. Worst case scenario I try the new spot and spend a couple quiet days in the woods. still not a bad proposition.

OP
T

TomM

FNG

Do you run into many other Hunter? This exactly what I plan to do, except maybe make a 5-6 mile loop in about 2.5-3 days.

Do you run into many other Hunter? This exactly what I plan to do, except maybe make a 5-6 mile loop in about 2.5-3 days.

Not a lot. By the time I get there to head in it's usually mid morning. I may run into a guy coming out as I'm heading in. Once I get to where I'm going though I'm usually alone.