Backcountry Vehicle Advice

hobbes

WKR
I should be clear, I'm not trying to discourage you from hunting with the Highlander. You definitely can. There are Subarus all over Colorado that are hitting every trail head. I just thought you should consider where you'll put a pile of elk meat before that time comes.

OP
S

shadow24

FNG
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but can he put that much cooler in a Toyota Highlander?
Well, that was the plan, but now that you said that, gonna have to test the fit with all my other planned gear. Rear seats fold down but that real estate is gonna go quick…

Wrench

WKR
My first came home in the trunk of a 1978 subaru. Run whatcha brung!

I'd advise chains, winch/come-a-long/ chainfall and some rigging even if you had a rig locked on both ends. Chit happens.

Wrench

WKR
Fwiw, a boned elk isn't very much real-estate. It rarely takes up more than 100ish quarts.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Chains, come along, traction mats. +1 if you have a chainsaw. Should be plenty to get you out of a bind. Chains are a must w/ snow on those steep windy roads. Main thing is be smart, no sense pushing it. I scratched the hell out of my truck and had to back up in reverse ~half a mile when we got to a washed out spot on the "road" I couldn't get through

Maybe bring a spare to your spare, or a tire plug kit and portable compressor. Throw in a couple tools for changing a tire on rough terrain? With all the Subaru wagons I see at trail heads in Washington I think you’ll be fine.

Run what you got. Don't push it. Be prepared for stuff to go wrong.
1. Chains / Recovery Rope / Tow Strap & Make sure you know how to tie & have tested that ahead of time
2. Traction Mats
3. Come along or tractor jack
4. Shovel ( Full size is better when you get high centered )
5. Jack plate...something to give more surface area because factory jack will sink into mud or snow
6. Tire Patch kit...I think I've sold mine at a trail head now three or four times in CO to backpackers with flats
7. Compressor
8. Bailing wire ( having ripped off a muffler and had to strap it back in place )
9. Ball Hitch for someone else to give a rip on
10. Saw or Chainsaw - have had a few times where trees have blown over since I went in and there was only one way out.

The problem will be when the slip and slide starts when snow comes and it starts to melt into a gumbo. There are places in wyoming I will drive my 2WD car no issues because the road is well drained...but if you ask me to go into the missouri river breaks after a mild rain storm hell no...I don't want to be stuck in that gumbo. Really dependent on the road and how late into the year I hate to say. The funny part it is not usually the road that gets me stuck...it's pulling off on the side of a FS road and I cannot get enough traction afterwards to get back onto it!

I hate carrying this stuff but either I or someone else I have pulled out has needed everything on the list ( multiple times ).

If you are solo and having to recover a vehicle using chains across a road having something to put in the road some someone tearing through on a quad does not take themselves out is kind of the right thing to do. That sometimes does not go well.

OP
S

shadow24

FNG
If you pack everything listed in this thread, you'll be dragging bottom. You can't fit all that in a Highlander and still get yourself into the vehicle :)

These folks had it figured out:
View attachment 305329

View attachment 305330
Haha! And I thought Kentuckians/Tennesseans had a rep for hauling out deer in “necessary” ways. Yeah I’ll have to be careful with packing too much gear.

OP
S

shadow24

FNG
Run what you got. Don't push it. Be prepared for stuff to go wrong.
1. Chains / Recovery Rope / Tow Strap & Make sure you know how to tie & have tested that ahead of time
2. Traction Mats
3. Come along or tractor jack
4. Shovel ( Full size is better when you get high centered )
5. Jack plate...something to give more surface area because factory jack will sink into mud or snow
6. Tire Patch kit...I think I've sold mine at a trail head now three or four times in CO to backpackers with flats
7. Compressor
8. Bailing wire ( having ripped off a muffler and had to strap it back in place )
9. Ball Hitch for someone else to give a rip on
10. Saw or Chainsaw - have had a few times where trees have blown over since I went in and there was only one way out.

The problem will be when the slip and slide starts when snow comes and it starts to melt into a gumbo. There are places in wyoming I will drive my 2WD car no issues because the road is well drained...but if you ask me to go into the missouri river breaks after a mild rain storm hell no...I don't want to be stuck in that gumbo. Really dependent on the road and how late into the year I hate to say. The funny part it is not usually the road that gets me stuck...it's pulling off on the side of a FS road and I cannot get enough traction afterwards to get back onto it!

I hate carrying this stuff but either I or someone else I have pulled out has needed everything on the list ( multiple times ).

If you are solo and having to recover a vehicle using chains across a road having something to put in the road some someone tearing through on a quad does not take themselves out is kind of the right thing to do. That sometimes does not go well.
Bailing wire and a flag/marker for chains across the road are some good ones I hadn’t thought about. Thanks!

OP
S

shadow24

FNG
My first came home in the trunk of a 1978 subaru. Run whatcha brung!

I'd advise chains, winch/come-a-long/ chainfall and some rigging even if you had a rig locked on both ends. Chit happens.
That’s great! Would’ve loved to seen that!

Wags

WKR
There are some great tips and advice in this thread. Take the proper precautions, use common sense, watch the weather and stay within those limits and you'll be fine.

Maverick1

WKR
Hello everybody. I’m needing a bit of a reality check before I go tearing into the mountain roads in September. I currently drive a front wheel drive Highlander. I’ll be putting new tires on at any time, regardless if I make the trip or not.
My question is, am I being overly confident in thinking I can reasonably access a good portion of the roads in central CO areas, not the crazy deep, rough ones, but enough to get to some areas away from the more main access roads? I’ve spent a lot of time out there, but not purposely driving the dirt roads in a vehicle like mine. As Rain Man said, “I’m an excellent driver,” but I would also be semi-smart enough to not push it too much and risk getting stuck. I’m not in a position to upgrade to a truck more suited for that just yet in life. So, is this just a pipe-dream that maybe shouldn’t be risked? I’ve done a lot of off-roading in KY, but my public school education tells me that KY does not equal CO.
Thanks for any advice fellas. I’ve learned so much already from all of you out there that are willing to share knowledge.
OP - you will be fine. I fit a boned out bull elk, cow elk, and bear inside my Highlander - - - on one hunting trip. (Actually, I have done this a couple of times). So, yes, it can be done. (I would suggest getting a hitch-mounted cargo carrier though.).

Fatcamp

WKR
You can fit three 150 quart coolers in a Highlander.

Ya, my 2001 4runner can carry everything inside to do what OP is asking. Still, a cartop carrier and hitch hauler make things much easier. If we use those we just set up the back as a sleeping area.

KIMG3283.JPG

OP
S

shadow24

FNG
I truly appreciate everybody’s input up to this point. To be honest, y’all probably saved my trip. Last week, I had given up on it because of my concern for the vehicle. I decided to consult the professionals of Rokslide as a last resort, and now the intimidation factor is much less. I can’t thank you all enough, and I wish I could at least shake each one’s hand. I’m stoked about my expensive backpacking trip. If I get to release an arrow, all the more better. Among other reasons, I’m doing this for my 40th. I’ve got 3 weeks to play with out there, thanks to the blessing of a good job. So, I’ll be taking my time, and taking it all in. I hope to run into you all along the way. Nonetheless, I wish each and every one of you the best of luck. I’ll be praying for your best kill ever. Thank you.

OP
S

shadow24

FNG
There are some great tips and advice in this thread. Take the proper precautions, use common sense, watch the weather and stay within those limits and you'll be fine.
You got that right. I really wasn’t expecting so many responses to this. This forum is outstanding. And yes, common sense and watching weather is pretty much my everyday plan.

OP
S

shadow24

FNG
OP - you will be fine. I fit a boned out bull elk, cow elk, and bear inside my Highlander - - - on one hunting trip. (Actually, I have done this a couple of times). So, yes, it can be done. (I would suggest getting a hitch-mounted cargo carrier though.).
Hitched-mounted cargo carrier, what?! I know where to borrow one of these easily and didn’t even think about that! This just keeps getting better. Not that I’d have a bull, cow, AND a bear. But never know! You the man!

StillBald

FNG
Hitched-mounted cargo carrier, what?! I know where to borrow one of these easily and didn’t even think about that! This just keeps getting better. Not that I’d have a bull, cow, AND a bear. But never know! You the man!
Hitch carrier is $50 at Harbor Freight.

Edit: $50 to $90 depending on what you get. Good enough to do the job, cheap enough not to cry if you bash it on some rocks.