Backcountry Vs. Townie

Poser

WKR
Early in July, I covered about 40 miles and ~16,000 feet of elevation in the “backcountry” on a general area scouting trip. Probably spent 30 hours glassing. Saw 5 mule deer.

991982cbbafbfc959e9530aeacd9fcde.jpg

67210c659e24555308cb23981d9f9c94.jpg

Let’s compare that to a typical commute to the gym:

ecffa1d929d2336dccbb238c2e695108.jpg

b58cc34cbb20c2f2e1316ab566530743.jpg

ec217f1f5ebe70579c5e1bdf7f65e5b4.jpg

It’s absurd.

Last edited:
Guess everyone is right when they say you don’t need to go 5+ miles to find them....

I also bet the townies have not been asked for permission to hunt heir land like the owners around public land have, you might have some luck getting permission in town. Those garden shrubs might make a good blind. One of the big clothing companies might want to invest some time into a “Yard Camo”

Guess everyone is right when they say you don’t need to go 5+ miles to find them....

I also bet the townies have not been asked for permission to hunt heir land like the owners around public land have, you might have some luck getting permission in town. Those garden shrubs might make a good blind. One of the big clothing companies might want to invest some time into a “Yard Camo”

Just dress as a garden gnome. Easy.

OP
P

Poser

WKR

Technically, you can hunt these deer on a lot of land immediately surrounding town, just a couple of blocks from where these pics were taken. I wouldn’t recommend it, but you could legally do it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We saw 100+ deer week before last while scouting and most of those were bucks and above timberline. But here's one of my townie bucks in the back yard.
100_4277.JPG

Rob5589

WKR
I follow random guys on IG that post pics of big bucks laying next to barns, houses, etc. I was in Klamath OR and saw several front yards with bucks just laying around. One was hanging out in the shade while the homeowner was doing yard work.

I've had the exact same experience over the last few weeks. 7 days backpacked in, I've seen mobs of elk but only one group of four bucks. Came home from the longest of those trips and there were three bucks in the field in front of my house. I was able to pick up a doe tag for my property though, that should ease the sting of humiliation a bit.

pdun24

FNG
This happens with whitetails in Southern neighborhoods too. I used to set up for a hunt and get skunked then have 3 deer in the front yard when I got home. Can mess with your head a little!

Drives me crazy every year. I go out deep into the woods to find bucks, get skunked, then come back into town and see them in my neighborhood. Infuriating haha