Backcountry watch

I am in the market for a new watch to use while in the backcountry and for everyday use. I used to own a Suunto core around 7 years ago and sold it a few years after. I notice most modern sports GPS watches have rechargeable batteries, I am really wanting to stay away from a rechargeable watch. From my research it seems if I go with something with an internal battery it will not have GPS capabilities. I am honestly ok with this and would be satisfied with something with altimeter, barometer, compass, sunrise/sunset data and of course multiple time functions. I have no experience with anything else beside the Suunto core. Can anyone recommend a replaceable internal cell battery sport watch with these functions.
Thanks

I know you want a watch with a replaceable battery . But my Garmin Instinct has everything your looking for. I had a core and won’t go back. Battery life on it is 3weeks if gps if off. This allows compass and everything else to work. No touch screen and just plan tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hathcock

FNG
I wear a Casio gw9400 rangeman daily and I love it. It’s solar power. The battery/capacitor (not a standard coin cell) can be replaced but it’s good for ten years. It checks all the boxes you listed.

TravisIN

WKR
I bought a garnin instinct and love it. Definitely worth a look.

arnie

FNG
Got a Garmin Fenix 3 HR when they went on sale due to the release of the 5. It’s an amazing watch, I’ve been able to stretch three days of full hiking on it with one charge.

3a8b8169a41cd8646a2905d7c308bca5.jpg
a2f4a1e0ac18b02accf2b603321fcefc.jpg
fb0db4029ebe30db38e57e0a1027c032.jpg

Has full gps too, but I’m currently in a hospital, so it wont work inside.

I like my Instinct a lot but really really like my Fenix 5x. Having the mapping when I’m in the mtns is great. Dropping pins and seeing where they are in relationship to where I’m currently standing has been super handy.

OP
E
Thanks for all the replies, seems most guys are preferring options from Garmin vs Suunto. Would everyone here say the fenix and instinct series are better than the traverse alpha?

muddydogs

WKR
Problem with what you want in a watch is the watch eats power and a replaceable battery watch with the functions you are looking for just wouldn't last very long and thats why there either rechargeable or solar powered. If you want just a watch then get a Timex Iron Man and you won't have to worry about the battery for 5 plus years.

I also have the Garmin Instinct and get 10 or so days on a charge and it takes very little power from my charge pack to get it back to a full charge when its dead.

DBARDSLEY

FNG
I ha e the garmin Fenix 5 yes it's a rechargable but last two weeks on it running it as just a watch etc. I haven't had to use Google maps just yet as having and actual handheld gps and hard maps tend to be fine. However Sunnto watches have quite a few I was wanting if not the garmin. The traverse alpha is sweet and will most definitely do anything you want or need. Also gshock now makes a rechargable watch in the field...it has a ceramic back on it and all you do is lay that bad boy face down in the sun...super cool design and only one like it...but you need the coin to buy one.

About a month ago I picked up the Sunnto traverse Alpha, I am really impressed and happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about the Suunto Core made you want to give it up? It seems to check all the boxes you described. ABC, replaceable battery, with sunrise/sunset and multiple time functions.

Have both a Garmin instinct and a Casio Protrek PRW3100. I love the Garmin, lasts about 2 weeks on a charge. I wanted to love the Protrek for the ABC, solar charge, multiple time zones, easy timer/stopwatch, etc. but the band was never comfy on my wrist. I have a Casio Gshock also that isnt a Protrek model that fits wonderfully but doesn't have ABC capabilities.