Backcountry water purifier recommendations

Low_Sky

New to water gathering.... i like the idea of the playtpus gravity system. Im just wondering is it necessary to use a purifying pen of some kind or will the filter catch anything i need to worry about?
It’s a filter. Drink away, no pen required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Love my platypus big evo but buddy had platypus gravity and it clogged on us with water that wasn't that bad and then ran real slow despite multiple cleaning. We used the bag and hooked up my sawyer as a gravity filter and it worked great. Set it up at camp and carried enough water each day for the hunt.
It does take some maintenance to keep gravity filters working at their best. Backflush after every bag filtered (just pick up the clean bag and run it in reverse until clean water flows into the dirty bag, just a few seconds).
To address the filter speed, when you start the system running, backflush it as soon as you have enough water in the clean bag, and repeat until all the air bubbles are worked out of the hose and filter. Air in the system really slows it down.

fwafwow

Hey guys in the market for a water purifier, been eyeing the katadyn pocket micro filter interested to know any insite you guys have on that one and other purifiers you recommend. Also from what I heard filters can be a problem if they freeze it can comprise the system. Seeing how most of my hunts are late season with temps in the 20s to 30s how do you guys deal with that problem? Relatively new to Backcountry gear any info appreciated thanks
The Sawyer squeeze worked well for my buddy and me, even with some nasty water (although we needed to backflush). I used Aqua tabs for this batch because we were particularly concerned about the water being stagnant, but every other time the Sawyer alone was aweseome.20190922_150637.jpg

Bigred

It does take some maintenance to keep gravity filters working at their best. Backflush after every bag filtered (just pick up the clean bag and run it in reverse until clean water flows into the dirty bag, just a few seconds).
To address the filter speed, when you start the system running, backflush it as soon as you have enough water in the clean bag, and repeat until all the air bubbles are worked out of the hose and filter. Air in the system really slows it down.

Thanks! Im thinking of going with the 2 liter set up. Ill have enough storage for 8 liters and that should give me enough to get water every other day. Going on a 7 day hunt. Water is easy to come by where im headed.