Backcountry water purifier recommendations

Hey guys in the market for a water purifier, been eyeing the katadyn pocket micro filter interested to know any insite you guys have on that one and other purifiers you recommend. Also from what I heard filters can be a problem if they freeze it can comprise the system. Seeing how most of my hunts are late season with temps in the 20s to 30s how do you guys deal with that problem? Relatively new to Backcountry gear any info appreciated thanks

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have any experience with the Katadyn pocket micro. I use a Sawyer squeeze system, and if it is going to be cold I just shake the water out of the filter before putting it into a ziploc, and then stick it into my sleeping bag with me at night to keep it from freezing. So far it has worked for me, knock on wood.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Platypus gravityworks, doesnt get any easier than this. Like mentioned above, put g
Filter in sleeping bag to keep it from freezing.

I always carry the steripen as a back up.

I have a katadyn hiker that works great to but it stays at home now that i have the platypus.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I run a Katadyn Hiker Pro and the Sawyer squeeze. I prefer the Sawyer for cold weather because it's tiny and I keep it in the breast pocket of my puffy. Double bag it so it doesn't leak on me. I've used the Katadyn for over a decade and only replaced the filter once. Just keeps going! The Sawyer does need to be back flushed frequently when filtering dirty water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
good feedback from the guys above. I have used the playpus gravity works and its great. I have ended up using auqmira drops(not tablets) and they are great. No parts to break or freeze

rfra

FNG
I used to run a Sawyer, nice and lite but got tired of the bag/squeeze/repeat process. Switched to a Katadyn Hiker Pro and much prefer it and find it more convenient to use. Interested in a SteriPen but every set of retailer reviews I read show a high number of failures.

LandYacht

WKR
I’ve run both the Sawyer and a true purifier and also prefer my purifier. The purifier that I use is a First Need and it is heavier than the Sawyer by a good amount. Can’t remember what the Sawyer weighs, it’s been on my shelf for 5 years now. The First Need is 16 ounces.

The benefit is that I can get water off of rocks or out of little holes that the Sawyer would never have a chance at. Not having to drop elevation to get to a water source is well worth the extra weight.

I look at it as saved energy for water collection vs energy used carrying around an extra 3/4 of a pound.

I can also filter water directly into my water bladder hose or a screw top bottle. Much more convenient than having to remove my bladder from my pack and “aim”’a squeeze bag into the opening of my bladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckwise9

FNG
If on weight constraints Sawyer mini (2oz) and platypus 3L reservoir (3.8oz). If not then gravityworks 2L complete kit.

diyhntr

FNG
I have used a Katadyn hiker for years and have never replaced the filter. I’ve never had it freeze but have always kept it wrapped in my pack when it’s cold.

Copy and pasted my reply from another water filter thread:

I use a Sawyer Squeeze (NOT MINI) with QDs installed on the outlet of the filter and in my Platypus hose near the bite valve. The filter screws directly to the dirty bag and gravity feeds into my "clean" 3L Platypus "Hoser" bag that is in my pack or straight to a bottle. Very cheap, versatile and compact set up.

The Sawyer Squeeze is much faster and will last longer between flushing than the mini.

The best dirty water bags I've found are 1 gallon ice tea bags I get from Taco Casa fast food restaurant. They are basically free and weigh only 1oz, so I can carry a couple and grab 2-3 gallons on the way to camp if I want a bunch of water. They have the same thread spec as the Platypus bags and the Sawyer filter and most water bottles or coke bottles. You could use any dirty bag though.

You can backflush by squeezing the clean bag or a water bottle connected to the outlet of the filter and sending clean water back through the filter.

I typically carry the Sawyer squeeze with male QD on outlet, extra rubber washer for filter inlet, 3L platypus hoser with QD inline, 2-3 one gallon dirty bags, and a 1L plastic vinegar bottle with a Smartwater flip top. (The vinegar bottle is very Light & sturdy and is the same dimensions as a Nalgine [fits bottle pocket] and has the same threads as the rest of the system. It works great for back flushing [with Smaterwater flip top] and I can mix powdered drinks without dirtying up my platypus bladder.)

EDIT: If the filter is wet and freezes it will no longer work. If you shake it out and keep it warm its not a problem, but something to consider if you frequently hunt in subfreezing temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am too lazy to run any more mechanical filters and I've never tried a gravity filter. Several years ago I started packing Aqua Mira but then I got tired of drinking chlorine flavored water. Ultimately I switched to a Steripen and Nalgene setup with Aquatabs as a backup. So far, I don't miss the chemicals or time spent filtering and I don't have any concerns about freezing. However, most of the places I hunt have plenty of clean water and I do not have a need to filter turbid water.

WTFJohn

WKR
I had a gravity filter, when it died I switched to a Steripen Adventurer. It decided to die on me (I have heard the Adventurer is notorious for this), I went to a Steripen Ultra afterwards and have not had any issues. I still carry tabs as backup, but I tend to hunt areas with relatively clean water.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Platypus gravityworks, doesnt get any easier than this. Like mentioned above, put g
Filter in sleeping bag to keep it from freezing.

I always carry the steripen as a back up.

I have a katadyn hiker that works great to but it stays at home now that i have the platypus.

IMO this system is the best. Hunted last year with 4 guys who all used different water purification devices and the combination of the steripen and platypus gravity filter were far and away the best options.

The steripen for quick nalgene fill-ups and the grav for overnight/break filtering to stock up.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the sawyer squeeze. I can fill my bladder just as fast as my brother does with his katadyn. We don't carry a back up, just figure if one goes bad for some reason we can share. In many years of hunting we have never had a problem with either.

Bigred

FNG
New to water gathering.... i like the idea of the playtpus gravity system. Im just wondering is it necessary to use a purifying pen of some kind or will the filter catch anything i need to worry about?

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Love my platypus big evo but buddy had platypus gravity and it clogged on us with water that wasn't that bad and then ran real slow despite multiple cleaning. We used the bag and hooked up my sawyer as a gravity filter and it worked great. Set it up at camp and carried enough water each day for the hunt.