Backcountry water purifier recommendations

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
New to water gathering.... i like the idea of the playtpus gravity system. Im just wondering is it necessary to use a purifying pen of some kind or will the filter catch anything i need to worry about?

It’s a filter. Drink away, no pen required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Love my platypus big evo but buddy had platypus gravity and it clogged on us with water that wasn't that bad and then ran real slow despite multiple cleaning. We used the bag and hooked up my sawyer as a gravity filter and it worked great. Set it up at camp and carried enough water each day for the hunt.

It does take some maintenance to keep gravity filters working at their best. Backflush after every bag filtered (just pick up the clean bag and run it in reverse until clean water flows into the dirty bag, just a few seconds).
To address the filter speed, when you start the system running, backflush it as soon as you have enough water in the clean bag, and repeat until all the air bubbles are worked out of the hose and filter. Air in the system really slows it down.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey guys in the market for a water purifier, been eyeing the katadyn pocket micro filter interested to know any insite you guys have on that one and other purifiers you recommend. Also from what I heard filters can be a problem if they freeze it can comprise the system. Seeing how most of my hunts are late season with temps in the 20s to 30s how do you guys deal with that problem? Relatively new to Backcountry gear any info appreciated thanks
The Sawyer squeeze worked well for my buddy and me, even with some nasty water (although we needed to backflush). I used Aqua tabs for this batch because we were particularly concerned about the water being stagnant, but every other time the Sawyer alone was aweseome.20190922_150637.jpg

Bigred

FNG
It does take some maintenance to keep gravity filters working at their best. Backflush after every bag filtered (just pick up the clean bag and run it in reverse until clean water flows into the dirty bag, just a few seconds).
To address the filter speed, when you start the system running, backflush it as soon as you have enough water in the clean bag, and repeat until all the air bubbles are worked out of the hose and filter. Air in the system really slows it down.

Thanks! Im thinking of going with the 2 liter set up. Ill have enough storage for 8 liters and that should give me enough to get water every other day. Going on a 7 day hunt. Water is easy to come by where im headed.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the sawyer squeeze. Light, simple and inexpensive. Our local Walmart carries them for $25-$30ish.

I have used the same Sawyer Mini for about 2 years now and have drank from some very questionable water sources up here in the ND Badlands. That being said I'm still alive and the filter works well.

I use the same methods described above with 2 platypus bags to create a gravity fed system. I run a quick detach system on my primary bladder that never leaves my bag and then just strap the dirty water bag to the load crib on my ExoPack. Once I stop for the night I pour whatever water I plan on using for dinner/breakfast into a Nalgene and use the gravity fed system to refill my pack while I set up camp and cook. The inline quick detach is really nice saves me from having to pull my bladder in and out of my pack.

Attachments

• 20200516_082459.jpg
    20200516_082459.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 54
Thank you for asking the question. I'm trying to pick and choose gear for my 1st backcountry hunt this August. Lots of helpful information and recommendations.

We pump dirty water out of small springs that bears wallow in daily. Every pump we have used has failed in one way or another after a few days pumping it. They clog up/build pressure and leak or crack. The only pump that has worked reliably has been the katadyn Pocket, its slow, but it works.

Finch

WKR
I'm kinda on the fence about what to do. My katadyn hiker pro filter has evidently clogged and filtering water has now become a choir. The replacement filters are $50. I saw a katadyn micro filter on sale today for $50 at Sportsmans Warehouse but I passed. Thinking about going to the Sawyer squeeze system.

Couple questions.

Normally, when I'm in need of water I lay my pack on the ground and connect the quick disconnect from my water bladder to my katadyn hiker pro and pump away. Will I be able to do this with a Sawyer squeeze? Essentially, quick connect my Sawyer squeeze to my bladder tube and fill up on the fly? Or does that take too long with the Sawyer? Is that why people do the gravity method?

UtahJimmy

WKR
I'm kinda on the fence about what to do. My katadyn hiker pro filter has evidently clogged and filtering water has now become a choir. The replacement filters are $50. I saw a katadyn micro filter on sale today for $50 at Sportsmans Warehouse but I passed. Thinking about going to the Sawyer squeeze system.

Couple questions.

Normally, when I'm in need of water I lay my pack on the ground and connect the quick disconnect from my water bladder to my katadyn hiker pro and pump away. Will I be able to do this with a Sawyer squeeze? Essentially, quick connect my Sawyer squeeze to my bladder tube and fill up on the fly? Or does that take too long with the Sawyer? Is that why people do the gravity method?
I was in the same boat 2 years ago. Replacements are more than a whole Sawyer system. Got the Sawyer squeeze and have been super pleased.

I have the QD on my hose so I don't need to remove bladder. Super easy to refill. If mobile, I'll usually fill dirty bag and hang while I do something else; check trail cam, grab a snack, etc. It's nice when bugs are bad too as you don't need to stay at the source pumping, can walk and filter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I carry a pump, liter and 1/2 nalgene and a 4 liter msr drom bag. I carry the bag around empty and only fill it for camp use. I’ve seen too many bladders dripping out of packs to ever carry one full. To each their own but not for me. Freezing isn’t an issue if you just take an extra 10 seconds to pump your pump dry after use. And of course always carry tabs or iodine.

Finch

WKR
I was in the same boat 2 years ago. Replacements are more than a whole Sawyer system. Got the Sawyer squeeze and have been super pleased.

I have the QD on my hose so I don't need to remove bladder. Super easy to refill. If mobile, I'll usually fill dirty bag and hang while I do something else; check trail cam, grab a snack, etc. It's nice when bugs are bad too as you don't need to stay at the source pumping, can walk and filter.

Silly question but will the filtered water completely fill your bladder in your pack during the hanging method? Is your bladder still in your pack when you talk about doing other things? I guess I'm getting hung up on the fact that it's not being forced in like a pump. I could see this being a really slow process....like really slow but maybe not.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Savage99

WKR
Silly question but will the filtered water completely fill your bladder in your pack during the hanging method? Is your bladder still in your pack when you talk about doing other things? I guess I'm getting hung up on the fact that it's not being forced in like a pump. I could see this being a really slow process....like really slow but maybe not.

I used my squeeze last year to do just that. Although I never did check the bladder in the pack. I used the quick connect and bought extra tubing from the hardware store to connect the bladder to the squeeze to a big 2gal dirty water bag. After all the extra parts and rigging and costs, I wish I would have bought a platypus gravity. My partner had one and his process was seamless and by the end of the trip my filter had slowed considerably. I did back wash it out when I got home and it worked much better on the next trip.

UtahJimmy

WKR

Yes, as long as the bladder has room to expand it will.
Yes, bladder stays in the pack.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Your title says purifier. Most of the options mentioned are just filters and not purifiers. Either is probably fine for the US Rockies. If you really want a purifier then the First Need or MSR Guardian are the only choices I know of. The MSR is expensive and has a fair amount of bad reviews. The First Need is a good choice.