Backcountry Whitetail Hunting in the Midwest

I do it in NY and PA.

You have to modify your approach a bit based on the land. I cowboy camp on a piece of private I hunt upstate and move around depending on what part I want to hunt. You can’t camp on a lot of state game land here in PA so it takes a bit of planning. In NY the public stuff is heavily forested so low deer density due to limited browse. If you hit it when the acorns drop it can be good.

Rich M

WKR
We do what is in front of us. I think the main thing is to do what will make you happy - if it is a backpack or boat in trip you want, then do it.

We used to do backcountry trips in Maine - have run 20 miles or more from the nearest boat ramp/road to camp site. Doesn't mean you'll see more but it definitely adds to the adventure.

Gobbler36

WKR
The east offers some great backcountry hunts that honestly at times can be better than outwest because it’s not the new fad for everyone to go do a backcountry whitetail or turkey hunt, just gotta study up and know where to look and be a little crafty about how you are accessing these areas

Tim B.

FNG
So what sleep system are you guys running in the midwest, we have alot more humidity than out west, I know its makes a big difference

Thanks
Tim

OP
G
^
I have pretty much used this method on every Mid-Missouri piece of public ground over the last 10 years with lots of success. Word to the wise, don’t try to cross even a side chute of the Missouri River in a canoe when there is ice, even if it is your favorite island.

I’ve had my eye on a couple islands in the Columbia’ish area. There are some big deer and tons of public land around the river that I feel gets overlooked in favor of duck hunting.

Yes sir! I live and hunt here in the Southern Apps of WNC. Backpack in for turkeys and will be doing a few whitetail/blackbear hunts this fall and winter on public land. It is my preferred method with me and my group of buddies.
Might be using my west tactics in regards to camping this year. Deer here are some of the lowest numbers in the country on public ground, but they are making a comeback. I usually set up a base/spike camp for turkeys and whitetails, but this year I may have camp on my back for whitetail. Ill tell you the saddle I have has made things a game changer for being light and mobile!

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, here in Virginia we have a ton of backcountry. Deer numbers are low, but age class structure is better. Planning a boat-in adventure this fall with the wife. Last two years we were backpacking into areas, but killed deer on the hike in and just took them back to the car from there lol. My profile pic is her deer from last years aborted pack-in.

Hey mind if I ask you a few questions and pick your brain a bit? I’m in VA and trying to bring the wife on something a little different than usual sitting on a hillside at my friends farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's a long ways away from your neck of the woods but Stu Osthoff has written some pretty good short stories on hunting whitetails in the BWCA.

Never done it but it's certainly sparked my imagination....

Hey mind if I ask you a few questions and pick your brain a bit? I’m in VA and trying to bring the wife on something a little different than usual sitting on a hillside at my friends farm.

No problem shoot me a PM

OP
G
I know it's a long ways away from your neck of the woods but Stu Osthoff has written some pretty good short stories on hunting whitetails in the BWCA.

Never done it but it's certainly sparked my imagination....

Thanks. I will find those and give them a read.

rayporter

WKR
I have had success in the mountains of Georgia and here---

last week looking out on the leatherwood wilderness
07pYhDr.jpg

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone has their priorities. Right now, with an infant that doesn’t sleep well and a wife that works a lot, making it out for ~10 days out west is just not feasible. The wife would probably let me go, but I’d feel guilty and don’t want to make the trip with that weighing on me.

I still need to quench this thirst for some backcountry hunting though. Being in Missouri, there are a few large tracts of publicly accessible lands that can get you a mile or two from any road. Some of these are accessible by hiking and others can be reached only by boat or canoe/kayak and are landlocked by private land otherwise. Does anybody take advantage of similar opportunities in their home state for whitetail hunting as kind of a poor man’s backcountry hunt?

It’s hard finding like minded people around here. Most want to sleep in a fancy “deer camp”, which definitely can be a blast, but it’s not necessarily my style.

You need to look at the MO managed/draw hunts. Swan lake is one of the tops and good draw rates and some booners running around. Lot of detailed info on draw rates and success rates, worth the trouble to do it

woodson

FNG
I’ve had my eye on a couple islands in the Columbia’ish area. There are some big deer and tons of public land around the river that I feel gets overlooked in favor of duck hunting.

You aren't wrong at all about this!. Get a big enough boat and multiple hang-on stands and you are set. A game-cart or a plastic sled is really helpful for getting deer back to the boat. Feel free to PM me for some tips as I have moved out of this area, but have a lot of local knowledge I am happy to share.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a couple backcountry whitetail hunts with friends here in Michigan's Pigeon River Forest. Not too many places where you're ever more than a mile from a road or trail but it's a heck of a lot of fun and a beautiful place to camp. We basically setup basecamp for a weekend and then mobile hunted some of the areas we had scouted earlier in the year. Was a ton of fun, some deer (and elk) were seen, but nothing killed that weekend. Never bumped into another hunter either. 9/10 would do it again. This area is about 4hrs driving for most of us, so not like it's an extreme travel distance or anything.

Usi05

WKR
I've done a couple backcountry whitetail hunts with friends here in Michigan's Pigeon River Forest. Not too many places where you're ever more than a mile from a road or trail but it's a heck of a lot of fun and a beautiful place to camp. We basically setup basecamp for a weekend and then mobile hunted some of the areas we had scouted earlier in the year. Was a ton of fun, some deer (and elk) were seen, but nothing killed that weekend. Never bumped into another hunter either. 9/10 would do it again. This area is about 4hrs driving for most of us, so not like it's an extreme travel distance or anything.

I am doing some of that this year not too far from there.

Also planning to hit some remote areas in UP near where I am from. Let me know if you wanna do some exploring up near Marquette.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I am doing some of that this year not too far from there.

Also planning to hit some remote areas in UP near where I am from. Let me know if you wanna do some exploring up near Marquette.

Hey thanks for the offer!

It’s hard for me to get up there for hunting but I’ll keep that in mind!

I hunted UP for first time last year in Marquette county about 30 minutes SW of Ishpeming, near Greenwood reservoir. Beautiful area. My wife’s cousin bought some land up there. Deer hunting was so-so but if I go back up there it will be to hunt grouse and hare and also possibly pull a bear tag. The public land we hunted was awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't overlook the public islands on the Mississippi River. There are some tremendous deer and turkeys in there, and not many people who are willing or able to walk more than 1/2 mile.