Backcountry Whitetails

Calcoyote

FNG
Here is a question for the Idaho/Montana/Wyoming hunters:

I live here in Oregon and have always hunted Mule Deer and Blacktail but I have really gotten bitten by the Whitetail bug. I hunted in Western Montana last year and LOVED it. This year I am going to be in Northern Idaho the week before Thanksgiving chasing Whitetail.

I love backpacking and love the wilderness. I would rather shoot a small buck in backcountry than a trophy on private land. That strategy works great with Mulies and Blacktail because some of those bucks like those lonely spots, but what about Whitetail??? It seems like the Whitetail I see are either on Timber company land that was recently logged, or on public land that borders private. Do you guys see Whitetail in the backcountry??? Can backpacking in for Whitetail be profitable?

By the way, I do realize that I am probably hunting hunting too late in the season this year to backpack in. I would imagine that late in November there will likely be too much snow and the deer would have already moved down to winter range. I am thinking about next year.