Backdoor says Dad and I drew CO LE archery elk...the work begins

bz_711

WKR
After 7 years of OTC (which I've loved every minute of)...Dad tells me early this year it's most likely his last year to hunt elk (turns 68 this year). He had 4 PP, so I decided to burn my 6 PP and try for a group archery tag to unit 49. Backdoor says we drew...great news...except for the feeling that we're starting all over in a new unit with only a 5-6 hunt to get it done. But I love a challenge.

Primary goal is to get Dad an elk, he's yet to take a shot in his 5 seasons going out with me. I will still urge him to shoot any legal elk, and it's nice that spikes are now allowed.

I'm all ears if anyone has pointers for archery elk in 49...and I'll do my best to pay it back with what we learn/see this season as it would likely be another 5+ before I'd even get chance to go back, and not sure that it what I want to do anyway...OTC is fine for me.

Summer will be fun though for planning and daydreaming, at the very least the success rates are much better than the 6-8% our OTC unit sees. September in the Elk mountains...sure not going to complain about that!

Bl704

WKR
Matt Congrats!

Can't help with unit 49.

I suspect you'll have plenty of help already, but if you need another hand, let me know. I'm looking for an excuse to head back to CO again... :) else I'll hopefully catch up with y'all next year.

We put in for 49 as well, although in reality 1 more year till we draw. We had 3 pp and a few guys drew with 3 last year. Can't tell yet as we put in for 55 as a second choice.

We have hunted around there and know a few guys that have hunted it, but at this point I don't know much about the unit.

Stay in touch and maybe we can share some research.

What OTC units do you hunt(pm me if you don't want to make it public) Maybe We can share some tips as well.

BTW, just checked and we drew.....something.

standard_lengthy

Lil-Rokslider
There are two outfitters that operate in that unit. Half moon packing and track'em outfitters. Half moon sets up their camps in early summer so it would be a good idea to call and ask where they will be putting other hunters so you don't run into them

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
Cant help with 49 either but that's a beautiful unit and should be a great hunt!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Matt Congrats!

Can't help with unit 49.

I suspect you'll have plenty of help already, but if you need another hand, let me know. I'm looking for an excuse to head back to CO again... :) else I'll hopefully catch up with y'all next year.

Bill - PM Sent.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
We put in for 49 as well, although in reality 1 more year till we draw. We had 3 pp and a few guys drew with 3 last year. Can't tell yet as we put in for 55 as a second choice.

We have hunted around there and know a few guys that have hunted it, but at this point I don't know much about the unit.

Stay in touch and maybe we can share some research.

What OTC units do you hunt(pm me if you don't want to make it public) Maybe We can share some tips as well.

BTW, just checked and we drew.....something.

PM sent

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on drawing, and good luck with the daydreaming!!! I'll bet you're hearing bugles already!

Nice. I put in for 49 with 3 pts but after drawing my Gila tag I was Praying I didnt draw. Luckily I didnt. I will most likely hunt 49 next season, so I am looking forward to hearing about your hunt!!!

1jonmon

Lil-Rokslider
Does putting in as a group reduce ones chances? I understand that if one person in the party draws then everyone draws...? Seems to me that CPW would HAVE to consider that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
It just reduces the groups chances to whatever the lowest points were. So everyone in the group still has to have the needed points to draw.

This.
For example...My dad had 4 PP, I had 6PP...so putting in for a group essentially took my 6PP and treated me like I only had 4PP (and I don't get to keep the other 4, they all are gone anytime you draw a first choice). Easy choice for me as Dad said this is last year...he might just be full time fly fisher and camp cook in the future:)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Easy choice for me as Dad said this is last year...he might just be full time fly fisher and camp cook in the future:)

Too late now........but another option would have been to just have your dad draw this year and "take" him hunting concentrating on getting him his bull. And then you could have drawn next year and hunted for yourself with him keeping camp. That way you essentially get two seasons in a row in a draw unit, and you get some good quality scouting time in this year for next year's hunt. 5-6 days just isn't much time for getting one guy a bull, let alone two.

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
Too late now........but another option would have been to just have your dad draw this year and "take" him hunting concentrating on getting him his bull. And then you could have drawn next year and hunted for yourself with him keeping camp. That way you essentially get two seasons in a row in a draw unit, and you get some good quality scouting time in this year for next year's hunt. 5-6 days just isn't much time for getting one guy a bull, let alone two.

I was thinking the same exact thing when I read the original post.