Backing sleeping bags for kids

Doing some backing over the next few years with my son. Looking for a 15-20 degree bag that is built to fit smaller/shorter people.
Something built fairly well, light and not going to break the bank if possible
Thanks

Depending on their size and age you may do better to jump to a decent adult bag. I bought my kids peewee bags and then REI kindercones. Son has now outgrown the rei bag. He is 5’8” heading to over six foot. The Instead of buying another youth bag, I stepped straight to an adult long. I plan to tie off the extra foot box space until he needs it.

I did the same once my kids out grew their youth bags,went to the scout store and bought them both kelty cosmic down bags regular length...I think they ran around 80 bucks each with the discount we got for wife being a leader.

revcwood

FNG
My two smaller boys (8 and 6) have Eureka Grasshopper bags. My oldest (11) upgraded to a Marmot Trestles (adult size) when he outgrew the youth size bag.

I turned one of those Costco down blankets by Double Black Diamond (750 FP, 16 oz) into a kid's sleeping bag with some simple hand sewing. I think it'll work till my kids are in their teens. Going to make another for my daughter. I'd guess good to 50 F, maybe colder.

Akicita

WKR
Doing some backing over the next few years with my son. Looking for a 15-20 degree bag that is built to fit smaller/shorter people.
Something built fairly well, light and not going to break the bank if possible
Thanks

I have four grand-kids ages 3, 5, 10 and 14 and bought them all the same 20 degree down quilt - The small ones I wrap like a burrito and the bigger ones use them as they are intended by folding down or under any large portions. At roughly 22 -25 ounces, all but the 3 year old can pack them on their own and they will work for them no matter how big they get and as well as they take care of them.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a North Face Tigger 20* and a REI Kindercone 25*. They're both good bags that pack down fairly small. The temp rating for my girls is a little on the generous side, I'd rate them down to 35* without adding a liner of extra clothes.