Backpack as checked baggage

DocH

FNG
I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I'm a little challenged at figuring out how to effectively search for topics on the site. I have an EMR2 and am considering flying with it. I've never flown with it and I'm concerned about all it the straps or waist belt getting caught, etc. as it goes through the bag handlers/equipment. I would compress it as much as possible and use the Velcro strap keepers to keep it as streamlined as possible, but I really can't afford to get to my destination and not have my bag arrive with me. Am I just being too paranoid things? Any advice would be appreciated.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I dont check backpack I put my spotter, binos, tripod, and camera anything expensive in the pack and carry it on. Then stuff the tent, and camping stuff in my suite case.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I've never thought twice about checking a pack, thanks for increasing my future stress a little bit :D

N2TRKYS

WKR
Throw it in a heavy duty trash bag. Keep it from getting dirty, as well. Normally, I use my pack as a carry on.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I've checked mine several times and not had any problems. Ask the airline for a large plastic bag when you check in at the ticket counter. All the airlies use them for packs, car seats, etc... As mentioned above, though, I would recommend carrying on board any valuables, including optics.

weaver

WKR
I also use mine as a carry with optics ect.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I've never checked a pack. Always cinch them down and carry them on. Hundreds of trips internationally and around North America.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Will it fit in a Military Duffel bag? I've used one of those to fly, Im thinking put it inside and you wont have to worry about anything happening

Throw it in a heavy duty trash bag. Keep it from getting dirty, as well. Normally, I use my pack as a carry on.
This^^^^ I also carry a couple extra heavy duty compactor bags so I end up having at least one for my flight back home. I'll also echo what else has been said regarding expensive optics, etc., I carry my spotter, binos, sat phone, and all electronics in a zippered, waterproof, carry-on, duffle bag.

WKR
Big duffle or hockey bag. Doesn't have to be expensive & no reason for a lock, they'll just cut it off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I will tell you carrying on your bag with the expensive stuff on it ensures it does not get opened and raided in transit. That is why I carry it on also if my suit case gets lost I still have my necessities. My bow flies but that is checked through tsa but at the same time there is no way I gonna trust thousands in optics, an expensive pack and camera to be tossed arpund by the airline employees or raided.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I would never check any backpack that I cared too much about. Those bag handlers don't give a damn about how your pack is handled and I would never judge the durability of a backpack or anything based on its condition after going through that. You might be fine 19 times out of 20 but some tough stuff gets shredded in that process.

Correct me if in wrong but I think the limit is 24" for a carry on bag. Does anyone carry on their 26" frame?

weaver

WKR
Not saying it couldn't happen but my friends have carried on 26" packs multiple times without a problem. Just don't pack it too full.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
LL Bean sells a 8600 cu in bag. I have two, one with wheels, one without, If I fly with the pack, it goes in that bag. Problem solved. \\

I would not want that baggage transport device to disassemble my Kifaru pack on that way to a trip where I really needed the pack.

I've checked my pack dozens of times for both work and hunting over many years. Often no other effective way for me to do it without juggling extra bags etc that I don't want at the end destination. Carrying a 26" frame on is doable on the full size jets, but the turbo prop connectors I often use in AK/Canada it's a non-starter. Optics and electronics go in a smaller carry on. Straps on the main pack get cinched tight and I like to use webbing keepers if possible. Hip belt gets wrapped back around the pack and buckled to the rear. If the airline has heavy duty bags for car seats available I will usually request one to save conveyor belt abrasion.

I've certainly seen some wear and tear over the years, but nothing destroyed yet.

chops24

WKR
I've checked mine several times and not had any problems. Ask the airline for a large plastic bag when you check in at the ticket counter. All the airlies use them for packs, car seats, etc... As mentioned above, though, I would recommend carrying on board any valuables, including optics.

This