Backpack as day pack and sleeping bag vs quilt

Greetings fellow roksliders,

I have a couple of questions for those that know and use either of the above, backpacks as day packs and sleeping bags vs quilts.
I'm in the market for a new backpack for hunting, I've been reading all the posts, watching all the reviews, and doing my best to educate myself before I pull the trigger. There are a lot of good packs out there and they all seem to have there own little thing they like to brag about (I'm sure they are all great), I also know that a backpack can be a personal fit choice, meaning one pack may fit tall packers better than another or visa versa. What I'm interested in (after reading the Kifaru pack thread and seeing the different configurations) is how many of you use your backpack as a day pack and how well does it work?
Hydration, how do you carry your hydration bladder? Is the pack bag really a good size when compressed down? Do you find it low noise or do you have to work to get it quiet?
Getting a backpack that will carry your gear is only one aspect of the pack for me, I want one that will double up as a day pack so I don't have to carry that in also.

The second question is, how many have gone from sleeping bags to quilts? And why? Do you really stay warm in Sep-Nov temps in the Rock Mountains, or up north in the Cascade Mountains? Did you need to get a better sleeping bad?

Thanks for you insight and if you have pics of your backpack as a day pack that would be a great help also.

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
I use my Mystery Ranch Marshall as a daypack all the time. In my opinion if you're going to only get one backpack get one big enough to do a multi day hunt out of and use it as a day pack as well.

I find it cinches down well enough that it's not noticeable and not a burden. Once it's cinched down it's probably only marginally bigger than what a smaller daypack would be. Also don't have the issue of trying to find space if you're packing something out.

I carry a nalgene in a side pocket so I don't need to get into the backpack for water or use a bladder with a hose. In my backpack I carry a gravity filter with a bladder that I fill the nalgene out of.

I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chime in here with better ideas

EdP

WKR
I do something very similar to Clarkdale except my pack is a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. It's a large bag on a relatively small frame that carries it well regardless of load. The top pocket can be detached and left at camp and the bag compressed to function as a daypack. That way my meat carrying pack is with me at all times. I prefer drinking from nalgene bottles and don't use bladders. The lower side pockets are open topped with elastic closure and hold a 1/2 liter bottle perfectly and in easy reach.

I find when using a rucksack for my daypack and carrying a rifle, after several hours my shoulder is aching. That's not the case when using my MR as a day pack.

No experience with quilts so can't help you there.

Warmsy

WKR
I use a 5200 kuiu pack as a day pack for the reasons clarkdale17 mentioned. Cinches down real nice. Carries even 90 pounds really well. Does seem a little bulky sometimes, especially if I'm only hiking. Mine makes a squeaking noise after about 30 pounds are in it. This one has a configuration where you put meat or sandbags between the frame and the pack. Super versatile.

I like my water bladder in side pocket with hose.

Can't help you on Quilt.

I have a exo for packing out but for general hunting and daily use were i dont need to pack heavy i love the kuiu venture.I have the 1800 and 2300 and prefer the 2300 for hunting and the 1800 for hiking,fishing,traveling or just walking around town.Lots of pockets.
Went to a quilt from ugq,i toss and turn bad and cant stand a bag.Get wide and long and 15-25 degrees colder than what you will encounter.

I thibk just about all packs probably compress down pretty well. I have an exo k2 5500 and a kifaru hoodlum and both compress down pretty good. The smaller packs are obviously better for compressing down but if you can only buy one bag id start big and then you can always get a smaller one down the line. Im also not a meat shelf user so i liked the space for putting meat inside the bag. And both my packs had a pocket and hanging tab on the inside of the bag and a little hose hole to fish out the hose to the shoulder strap. Both packs are awesome and i still have both

OP
B
Thanks guys, The pack I have now is an old Cabela's backpack, and when I say old, I mean about 25 years old so it's time for an upgrade. This thing is like a model T next to a Tesla in the backpack world.

BDRam16

WKR
Another vote for getting a bigger bag and cinching it down. Better to have a bag that you can do anything with than spend the money on one and decide to do a longer trip and realize you need a second bag now.

rideold

WKR
Thanks guys, The pack I have now is an old Cabela's backpack, and when I say old, I mean about 25 years old so it's time for an upgrade. This thing is like a model T next to a Tesla in the backpack world.
Nothing wrong with an old pack if it works well. I'm still using a Gregory Mammoth for everything. It has to be going on 30 years now. I think of replacing it with a Stone Glacier Sky 5900 but can't get past the price.

*zap*

WKR
There are sometimes good used pack deals on here and that is how I purchased my packs. Big bag that compresses well for small loads is the way to go. I use my sleeping bags as much in quilt mode as sleeping bag mode. Unzip enough to leave a footbox and keep zipper facing down and use it that way....my wiggys bags get lots of use that way...because they are all long/wide and offer a good amount of coverage in quilt mode. I do not think I would ever buy a quilt thou. Nothing like a good bag when it is cold....

Drenalin

WKR
Most big bags compress well for day use, some do it better than others.

I switched to a quilt a couple of years ago. First was an EE Enigma, which they rated at 20 degrees. For me, it’s more like a 30-35 rating. I’ve taken it down into the 20s and was ok, but not great. I just got a Katabatic, but haven’t had it out yet. I don’t see myself in a mummy bag ever again. The pad is critical, you’re looking for a total R-value of 4.4 or higher.

crich

WKR
X10 for getting a big bag. Id rather have it than not and really need it.

Your water situation is very personal as well as dictated by your bag features. If Im using a bladder I dont like it in my main compartment because the load compresses it and its a pain to access. Side pocket is the way to go IMO.

Regarding the quilt I use one down to about 30 at night. After that I transition to a wide 0 degree bag. I toss and turn a lot and cannot sleep in a mummy bag. As far as pads go you need a good insulated pad regardless of your bag choice.

*zap*

WKR
It took me a long time to get used to a tighter sleeping bag. (side sleeper and turn side to side thru the night) Now when I turn I grab the bag by the top of the bottom zipper with my top arm and turn the whole bag with me...that way the zipper is always easily accessible. Works for me and I had serious claustrophobia issues years ago when I started using bags. I slept in a bag every night for a long while with the heat off and sometimes the windows open to make it colder until I resolved that issue.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Proper sleeping pad is key for staying warm in quilts, or getting up off the ground in some fashion (hammock, etc). There's a reason they can't really provide true "survival" temp ratings like they can with a sleeping bag.

If you're talking up high in the mountains in early Fall I'd bring my zero degree bag and sleeping pad and be comfortable all night. Nothing replaces a good, warm nights sleep. I'll carry the extra weight if it means I'm sleeping comfortable and this is coming from a guy who's preferred sleep system is sheet of Tyvek and a western mountaineering GWS bag; nothing else.

OP
B
There are sometimes good used pack deals on here and that is how I purchased my packs. Big bag that compresses well for small loads is the way to go. I use my sleeping bags as much in quilt mode as sleeping bag mode. Unzip enough to leave a footbox and keep zipper facing down and use it that way....my wiggys bags get lots of use that way...because they are all long/wide and offer a good amount of coverage in quilt mode. I do not think I would ever buy a quilt thou. Nothing like a good bag when it is cold....
I had never thought of using the sleeping bag that way. Nice way to have the best of both worlds and keep things simple. Thanks,

*zap*

WKR
Being out in the woods away from your vehicle/civilization when it is cold can suck.....the one thing I count on is a sleep system that I know 100% will get me warm even if the temps are below what I expected. If it is warm for the bag then I can unzip it and use it like a quilt but I have the other option of using it as a bag. Nothing like being cold and getting in your bag/quilt and not getting warm after an hour...

crich

WKR
I had never thought of using the sleeping bag that way. Nice way to have the best of both worlds and keep things simple. Thanks,
There are "quilts" that zip to mimick a sleeping bag as well. I guess the main difference would be the attachment system for a pad which a traditional sleeping bag does not have.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It took me a long time to get used to a tighter sleeping bag. (side sleeper and turn side to side thru the night) Now when I turn I grab the bag by the top of the bottom zipper with my top arm and turn the whole bag with me...that way the zipper is always easily accessible. Works for me and I had serious claustrophobia issues years ago when I started using bags. I slept in a bag every night for a long while with the heat off and sometimes the windows open to make it colder until I resolved that issue.
Seems like you have it dialed in but I had the same issue with mummy bags back in the day. Once western mountaineering came out with their "semi-rec" cut shape it was love at first sleep.

*zap*

WKR
I use a kodiak...but I have an old moonstone mountaineering that is cut tight for my 30° bag and an old versalite. I may put the versalite for sale. My wiggys are fairly roomy but I do have a real tight fit overbag that I use for above 50°.

The best thing I did was suffer thru adapting to a tight bag....