Backpack belts/suspension sizing

KineKilla

WKR
Do the popular (SG, MR, SO, Kuiu, etc.) manufacturers take layers of clothing into consideration when spec'ing their sizing charts?

I measured my waist as directed at 33". If the pack maker's charts shows S/M do you think they've considered the fact that once a person adds baselayer, mid layer, insulating layer and shell they'd be much closer to 34-35"?

I'm getting ready to order a system but hate the hassle and expense of the online return process so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seek Outside does not. We do consider layering when we give advice to people on the fence size wise or of they are very specific as in I only hunt late season .

I've noticed with the past several years with Kifaru is that there's room for clothing going off their size chart. So buy what you'd need for not much on and you'll still have room for late season layers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
So, from the limited responses thus far I have gathered that it is dependent on the brand of pack. Some have sized their suspension systems to accommodate layers while others have not.

Guess that leaves me at square one, maybe it will and maybe it won't. I have to imagine that the belt sizes are adjustable enough that a little bit of clothing is not going to make a huge difference but a full late season clothing set up might.

sako75

FNG
When I was ordering my stone glacier xcurve I was on the low edge of a large belt so I got that and it worked. But I had some hip discomfort and got a medium to try room to spare with winter clothes on. Just for more info my wife has a small belt on her pack and I can still use that belt in the fall hunting but not enough adjustment for me with winter clothes on. I take a 34-36 waist in pants

schmalzy

WKR
When I was ordering my stone glacier xcurve I was on the low edge of a large belt so I got that and it worked. But I had some hip discomfort and got a medium to try room to spare with winter clothes on. Just for more info my wife has a small belt on her pack and I can still use that belt in the fall hunting but not enough adjustment for me with winter clothes on. I take a 34-36 waist in pants

I had the opposite experience. I was spot on sizing for the medium but swapped to a large and it was night and day a better fit for me as the power pulls were hitting my hip bones. I can’t lose anymore weight or I’ll have to go down to a medium, but for now I love the large. I’m a 34 waist.

I think it just shows that these packs can be tailored to YOUR specific body very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
For my SG Xcurve I was between a medium and large belt. Went medium and used it for a year and packed out an elk with it and it was just ok- I could never get the belt tight enough because of the angle against the power pulls. Ordered a large belt this year and it’s great. No slippage, can torque the belt tighter than I’d ever want it. I’ve been training with it a good bit and wish I’d gotten a large to start with. I’m a 34-36” pant guy. I’ve lost about 25 lbs recently and the belt is still fine(closer to 34” now).

When I was looking I did notice Kifaru’s medium covered a larger range of more common waist sizes and it made more sense to me which I’d pick if I went with them.

OP
KineKilla

KineKilla

WKR
For my SG Xcurve I was between a medium and large belt. Went medium and used it for a year and packed out an elk with it and it was just ok- I could never get the belt tight enough because of the angle against the power pulls. Ordered a large belt this year and it’s great. No slippage, can torque the belt tighter than I’d ever want it. I’ve been training with it a good bit and wish I’d gotten a large to start with. I’m a 34-36” pant guy. I’ve lost about 25 lbs recently and the belt is still fine(closer to 34” now).

When I was looking I did notice Kifaru’s medium covered a larger range of more common waist sizes and it made more sense to me which I’d pick if I went with them.

The medium size wouldn't tighten enough but the large will? That seems counter intuitive to me but I haven't used a system that offers different sizes. All my backpacks are one size fits most day packs.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
The angle of the power pulls being near my hip bones didn’t allow the webbing to actually pull through the buckle to tighten so it wouldn’t lock. Weird but true.

I still have about 3” of adjustment left in the large. I’m still losing weight so I’m keeping the medium in case I have to switch back.