Backpack capacity for 5 day elk hunt?

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
The article on The GIF is by Aron and you can find it in Aron's Corner.

Sky1926

FNG
I'd bet the 3500 will be fine. As pointed out above, lots will depend on the size of your gear and how many "lightweight" items you take and how many "non-essentials" you leave at home. The problem might become what to do when/if, (but hopefully "when") you get something down and have meat to pack out....

I've done 5+ days in a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 - even with a few non-essential items. Video here:Bag Dump: 5-day Backcountry Elk Archery Hunt Gear in a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 - YouTube

Just bought a set of those pull outs because of your video...just what I was looking for. Thanks for video

I went 3500 route, still working out my system but I think for 5 it should be fine with a few sacrifices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Glad the video helped Sky1926. There are a bunch of videos on that channel that will help you decide what you may need. There are changes made to every system and not everything goes on every trip. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for the feedback!

Lawnboi

WKR
Also good to mention that usually strapping stuff to the outside of your pack sucks, just my opinion. Walking through the woods with a small pack and half my stuff hanging off was how my first backpacking trip went long ago.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Also good to mention that usually strapping stuff to the outside of your pack sucks,

I agree. I like a pack that is as small as it can be with everything, or almost everything on the inside. Usually my kifaru field chair is on the outside, but that's pretty much it...

It's nice not to have the pack snagging on every branch as you walk by...

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Really struggling with going 3500 vs 5500. Mainly day hunts with some 2-3 day spike camps. I have a Kelty 5500 and the thing is massive. Can't imagine needing that much space but everyone says go 5500. Thoughts?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I really need to learn how to edit my posts. I currently hunt with an 1800cu fanny and it's more room than I need for day hunts, just for context.

ljalberta

WKR
Really struggling with going 3500 vs 5500. Mainly day hunts with some 2-3 day spike camps. I have a Kelty 5500 and the thing is massive. Can't imagine needing that much space but everyone says go 5500. Thoughts?

These things are gonna come down to personal preference. Some prefer a smaller bag so they don't 'overpack' or so they feel a little slicker cruising through the backcountry. In reality, if you have a bigger pack, no one's forcing you fill it up - just need to exercise self-control and ignore the GIF. I, as well as many other would rather have a pack that's too big than too small. With compression straps, the large packs suck up to the size of the smaller packs, so they're not at all bulkier with the same load out inside. The 3500/5500 Exo for instance, when compressed side by side, it's hard to even tell the difference between them, and the weight penalty is mere ounces. The other thing is, do you prefer to use the load shelf or put meat in the bag? Buy a bag planning for the pack-out, not the pack-in. Another option is if you're purchasing the pack new, why not order both bags, give them a test-run and return the one that doesn't fit your style.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
These things are gonna come down to personal preference. Some prefer a smaller bag so they don't 'overpack' or so they feel a little slicker cruising through the backcountry. In reality, if you have a bigger pack, no one's forcing you fill it up - just need to exercise self-control and ignore the GIF. I, as well as many other would rather have a pack that's too big than too small. With compression straps, the large packs suck up to the size of the smaller packs, so they're not at all bulkier with the same load out inside. The 3500/5500 Exo for instance, when compressed side by side, it's hard to even tell the difference between them, and the weight penalty is mere ounces. The other thing is, do you prefer to use the load shelf or put meat in the bag? Buy a bag planning for the pack-out, not the pack-in. Another option is if you're purchasing the pack new, why not order both bags, give them a test-run and return the one that doesn't fit your style.

Thanks for this. I have the EXO K2 frame and so those are the two bags I'm considering. I guess my biggest thing is I don't want gear flopping around loose inside it. I will certainly be using the meat shelf, so that's not really a concern. I'm liking the idea of those Kifaru zipper bags to divide my stuff in an organized manner, so that will help. You're right though, it is pretty easy just to compress the pack. Just trying to cut weight and also I can get used 3500 bags and save some cash. Harder to find the 5500's, which frankly should be a sign.

ljalberta

WKR
Thanks for this. I have the EXO K2 frame and so those are the two bags I'm considering. I guess my biggest thing is I don't want gear flopping around loose inside it. I will certainly be using the meat shelf, so that's not really a concern. I'm liking the idea of those Kifaru zipper bags to divide my stuff in an organized manner, so that will help. You're right though, it is pretty easy just to compress the pack. Just trying to cut weight and also I can get used 3500 bags and save some cash. Harder to find the 5500's, which frankly should be a sign.

If you're doing 2-3 days and using the shelf, you'll probably have plenty of space with the 3500. I think it's gonna be if you decide to start stretching those trips out to 5+ days, you'd want the 5500. I personally have a Kifaru MW/Guide lid, which is around 7000 cu and and it holds everything steady even with just day hunt gear. At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with either bag. Plus, if you purchase an used 3500 and want to try the 5500 later, you should be able to sell the 3500 and recoup most of your money anyway.

from Exo's description on their website: (3500 ci bag and lid, 1000 ci exterior pockets, 2500 ci load shelf area)
Google tells me that's 3 5-gallon buckets, plus another 4 gallons in exterior pockets. Load shelf is 10 gallons additional space I wouldn't even think of using unless I were packing out meat. That's tons of room unless you're using a giant coleman sleeping bag, egg crate mattress, and all cotton clothes.

If you can't pack for 5 days in that, you need to research some more backpack hunting 'what's in your pack' videos. There's a lot of great resources out there.

I was doing 5 day hunts out of a Badlands 2800 pack for several years. It was great once I figured it out. Everything had a place and it had to be put back there or it messed up my packing system. Some key items always stay on me, like a headlamp, knife, some cord, etc. They go in pants pockets. I put my food in a dry bag and strap it to the outside if i'm running a small pack. I prefer to give my down bag the extra protection of being inside the pack. I have a zero degree down bag that compresses to a bit smaller than a basketball. My biggest breakthrough on packing small was an air mattress that has no foam in it (not a self-inflating thermarest type, which don't pack down so well), a big agnes model that is like a pool air mattress. It deflates down to nothing bulk-wise, but still weighs a bit.

Food is always my heaviest bulkiest item.

Don't be constrained by keeping your tent in the bag you bought it in. The fly can go in a side pocket, the stakes tuck in a little cranny over here and the tent itself maybe goes in the other side pocket. The poles go against your back. Or do a tarp. A couple of REI compression sacks can really help you maximize space, but of course add weight. Roll socks and underwear tightly- and only take one extra set. Same rollup method with light thermal underwear that's sometimes nice to have early season in the high country - keeps you warm at night and is more practical than a bag liner because you can wear them during the day if the weather turns. No extra pants or shirt, Just whatever insulating layers you'll need to stay warm in the mornings/evenings.
Etc...
I agree that you don't want a ton of crap strapped to the outside. This should be plenty of room to get you going. And agree that you should give it a whirl in the summer so you know what you've got.

Mike7

WKR
We go pretty light, but with enough for a safety margin and we're not 150 lb light weight guys...and my buddy's Exo 3500 on the hike in on a 5 day mule deer hunt needed some Beverly Hillbilly items attached to the outside, which isn't the greatest thing for hiking through we brush.

He now has a 5500, and for day hunting all of his gear is compressed into the upper 1/2 of the pack right up against his back, which carries really nicely

OP
A

ahatclif

FNG
Thanks again for all the advice. I am glad that this thread has kept going.

My current plan is to move forward assuming the 3500 will be big enough for everything. I am continuing to watch the classifieds for a 5500 bag but they are rare and don't last long. I have a handful of various sized drybags that I could easily strap to the outside of the pack if needed. That wouldn't be my first choice but a 20 L drysack would be about 1200 cubic inches and I am hoping I wouldn't need that much extra capacity under any circumstances.

This choice is mostly financially motivated. I bought the Exo 3500 used on Rokslide and I don't want to drop and additional $280+shipping for a new 5500 from Exo. The next bag that I buy (if I ever buy another) will probably be something in the 5000-7000 range.

Jon Boy

WKR
If I need some extra capacity out of my 3500 Ill put my sleeping bag on the outside of my pack attached to the bottom. Never notice its there and it frees up a lot of room. If you still need more room I'd start evaluating what in your pack.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
If I need some extra capacity out of my 3500 Ill put my sleeping bag on the outside of my pack attached to the bottom. Never notice its there and it frees up a lot of room. If you still need more room I'd start evaluating what in your pack.

That's always an option. Just put it in a sea to summit eVent compression dry sack The straps from the compression sack make for an easy attachment point and your bag will be nice and dry when you get to camp. Not a bad idea to do this even if the sleeping bag fits in your pack as you may need that room, hopefully, if you're packing out meat.

Good Luck!