Backpack deer/sheep hunt current preferred spotter options

I'm curious about people's preferred backpack hunting spotters given what's currently on the market when the spotter is used some for glassing.That is, not just checking something already found with binos. Anything high end out there now would be a big step up, I've got really old optics and want to upgrade. I've looked thru the threads and the Kowa 55 series looks really interesting, but seems like it might not be as good for panning around a mountain a couple miles away with the narrower field of view compared to something like a swaro 65, or other 65ish scope. How is a Kowa 55 for glassing? Compared to a Swaro 65 or similar option? Weight is at a premium for me... the 80ish objective options sound like a great image but are more than I want to pack with camp. Thanks and have fun glassing.

Ram94

WKR
You’re talking swaro so I’m assuming it’s within your budget....go that route and you won’t have any questions or second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t usually scan with my spotter (Kowa 553), but I will sometimes scan a certain area of a mountain with it and I don’t have any problems with the fov. If I do scan bigger areas I’ll stick it on 30-35x and have no problem at all. That being said I like scanning with binoculars on a tripod better than ANY spotting scope.

OP
N
ram94, the swaro 65s certainly sound great but I also like the idea of taking a pound plus out of my pack w/ something like the Kowa

Peaks&Creeks, thanks, good to hear it scans well for you. What sort of tripod do you like with the Kowa? I like that it wouldn't need a beefy tripod.

6mm Rem, a friend let me try his Leupold GR spotter about 15 years ago (way pre-HD) and it was a really easy scope to get behind and scan with so I can see why you'd like it for that. Nice big easy field of view as I recall. I also like that it'd save a lot of cash over those other options! It's good to hear it's still a good option.

Ram94

WKR
ram94, the swaro 65s certainly sound great but I also like the idea of taking a pound plus out of my pack w/ something like the Kowa

Peaks&Creeks, thanks, good to hear it scans well for you. What sort of tripod do you like with the Kowa? I like that it wouldn't need a beefy tripod.

6mm Rem, a friend let me try his Leupold GR spotter about 15 years ago (way pre-HD) and it was a really easy scope to get behind and scan with so I can see why you'd like it for that. Nice big easy field of view as I recall. I also like that it'd save a lot of cash over those other options! It's good to hear it's still a good option.

Fair enough. For what it’s worth, I traded up an 80mm Viper for a 65mm Athlon Ares. Compared it side by side with a Razor and Pentax EDii and picked the Ares. Under your price point, but I didn’t see a need to spend more than necessary for very marginal gain. Granted I’m not scanning much, but it is very packable.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Sirui T-024SK carbon tripod with the Sirui VA-5 panhead. It comes in at 2 pounds 14oz on my kitchen scale. I’ve also been using the KDC tripod that’s only 10ounces when I’m going deeper and don’t expect too much wind. I’ve said this in other posts too, I’ve compared the Kowa to the Swarovski 65 ATS many times. There’s nothing it gives up to the Swaro, except a slight decrease in FOV at full magnification, which I think some folks make a bigger deal out of than it should be. But with the KDC tripod setup you’ve got a sub 3 pound spotter/tripod combo.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Kowa 55 is excellent, however, it is a narrow FOV. For all day glassing you'd be best served with the Swaro 65 with their 25-50x eyepiece. Please call us, 516-217-1000, to discuss this and speak with Joel for Tripod advice

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Swarovski ATS 65 20x60 is a nice balance between weight and optical performance. We have found that using objective lenses smaller than 65mm make glassing large areas a challenge. The Sirui ET-1204 has become one of our favorite tripods. It weighs 2.4 pounds and provides enough stabilization for heavy optics or a rifle.