Backpack Elk Hunting on a Budget

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a clothing list I came up with from what I already have and other deals I found online and will buy. Thoughts? Anything I should add or drop?

C4E Merino 50/50 Blend Boxer Brief (3).......$60
RedRam Merino Short Sleeve T (2)..............$50
RedRam Merino LS Top..............................$30
RedRam Merino LS 1/4 Zip Top...................$35
C4E Merino 190 Bottom.............................Own
C4E Assault 1/4 Zip Shirt...........................Own
Gander Mtn Fleece Vest.............................Own
C4E Switchback Pants...............................Own
Puffy Down Jacket or Vest TBD...................TBD
Russell APX Gale Jacket.............................$85
SmartWool PhD Outdoor Light Socks (2)......$21

some comments on your list
Here's a clothing list I came up with from what I already have and other deals I found online and will buy. Thoughts? Anything I should add or drop?

C4E Merino 50/50 Blend Boxer Brief (3).......$60 camofire all the time
RedRam Merino Short Sleeve T (2)..............$50 wait for sale @ STP
RedRam Merino LS Top..............................$30
RedRam Merino LS 1/4 Zip Top...................$35 double 1/4 zips?
C4E Merino 190 Bottom.............................Own
C4E Assault 1/4 Zip Shirt...........................Own
Gander Mtn Fleece Vest.............................Own
C4E Switchback Pants...............................Own
Puffy Down Jacket or Vest TBD...................TBD
Russell APX Gale Jacket.............................$85 another option would be marmot precip, not camo, but possibly a better jacket at the same price point
SmartWool PhD Outdoor Light Socks (2)......$21

That will work fine. I made due for years with cheap camo pants from sportsmen warehouse and under armor base layers. You will do just fine. Currently running Kuiu and firstlite and couldn't be happier. What budget?!? :)

Jon Boy

WKR
Get some russel apx gear while you still can. You can get each piece for 30 bucks (normally 120 typically). Thats the route I went and couldnt be happier. Im a ways out from being outfitted in kuiu gear so I think theyll work just fine for the next 3 years.

lintond

WKR
Core4 is having a spring sale right now. 25% off with coupon code SPRING25 until April 30.

groc426

FNG
Get some russel apx gear while you still can. You can get each piece for 30 bucks (normally 120 typically). Thats the route I went and couldnt be happier. Im a ways out from being outfitted in kuiu gear so I think theyll work just fine for the next 3 years.

I don't mean to tread on this post, but any idea where to get this discounted other than Cabela's. I'm on an extremely limited budget and looking to outfit myself, yet on the some-what quality side. Cabela has great prices, but they don't seem to have many 'large' options available now.

Does anyone have experience with the Outdoorsmans Optics Hunter Pack System?
Google "Wilderness Pack Specialties" I believe they mfg that pack for them. I have a couple other WPS packs but not the Yukon Optics Hunter.
I have both thier smaller frame packs; the Compact Frame Combo & the Outfitters Combo. And I can switch bags back/forth.

I do have to admit, I did switch out the belt & straps to a Nimrod Base Belt harness system to gain more modularity.
I really like the frameless Nimrod system as I typically hunt w/ just the Base Belt and a set of meat slings I fab'd.
But I also like the lightweight WPS frames for heavy hauling too, so I combined them. mix & match modularity.
I mainly hunt off the back of mules in NE Oregon Wilderness, so I've never really liked the traditional back packs as they interfere w/ saddle.
But the modularity of the Nimrod/WPS hybrid gives me the best of both worlds. I can ride w/ the Nimrod Base Belt & Gear Bag and have everything I need to jump off and make a run at some animals. If I need to shuttle meat I have my meat straps that I can buckle on the back to move qtrs. And I can still buckle the gear bag on top of meat if need be. Like to haul out heart & liver etc.

Or if I'm hunting out of the truck, I can run w/ the WPS frame & Bighorn bag.
And I can drop the bag & frame off once at base camp & run light w/ the Nimrod Base Belt & my meat straps.
Like I said... mix & match, size up or down as needed. PM me for some links to pics if you care to see what I've done.
Anyway works for me. Good luck on your hunt.
Hunt'nFish

PS, I also have a Oregon Packworks "Orion" that I like as well. This one might be more your style. Frameless but again, very modular.
And built like a tank right here in Oregon. Check out thier vids.

Last edited:
OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mean to tread on this post, but any idea where to get this discounted other than Cabela's. I'm on an extremely limited budget and looking to outfit myself, yet on the some-what quality side. Cabela has great prices, but they don't seem to have many 'large' options available now.

Ya it's tough to find larges in the Russell gear because it's being discontinued. Gander Mtn, Amazon.com, and shop.russellathletic.com Clearance Section are some places to start. Or just do a Google search and hope you're lucky. All of the RedRam Merino and SmartWool socks I found on Sierra Trading Post, plus I have a 30% off coupon.

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
It's going to be early to mid-September so should I just bring a rain jacket (like C4E Torrent, Marmot Precip, Russell L5 Cyclone) and not a regular softshell jacket? I'd rather not bring both to decrease weight and cost.

Solitude

WKR
Yes just the rain jacket or risk it an take a garbage bag and a standard shell (what I do for Sept). You said you are in a budget and the chances of rain is well.....not too great :)

Solitude

WKR
Also, did not read the entire post so i apologize if it has been mentioned, but Alaska Game Bags are cheap, lightweight, work well for me and get er done for a budget minded guy.

Yes just the rain jacket or risk it an take a garbage bag and a standard shell (what I do for Sept). You said you are in a budget and the chances of rain is well.....not too great :)
I'm the opposite. For early season I run w/ just the softshell.
I can see the forecast and don't like to backpack hunt in the rain. And besides a little light rain isn't gonna hurt anyone.
And the softshell dries fast and breaths well. But honestly, even it comes off once the sun comes up.
I suppose it comes down to what weighs less.

I can see the logic in taking a UL breathable rain jacket simply as backup and nix'n the softshell.
Problem is I like my softshell (Columbia Silent Sheild) to hunt in.
Great pockets w/ large enough chest pockets for enough gear to go spot or hunt w/o a pack.
Kinda nice living close to 3 differant Columbia outlets. (Wink)
Think I paid around $80 for top/bottom set of Silent Sheild.

Also I know everone here is all crazy about Merino and all, but don't under estimate the value of a good fleece 1/4 zip pull over
or two for layering. Many times this is all that is needed in the mornings.
And if you understand the value of washing in DWR replenishing cleaner, the water beeds up and runs right off.
And again it dries fast.

Hunt'nFish

Google "Wilderness Pack Specialties" I believe they mfg that pack for them. I have a couple other WPS packs but not the Yukon Optics Hunter.
I have both thier smaller frame packs; the Compact Frame Combo & the Outfitters Combo. And I can switch bags back/forth.

I do have to admit, I did switch out the belt & straps to a Nimrod Base Belt harness system to gain more modularity.
I really like the frameless Nimrod system as I typically hunt w/ just the Base Belt and a set of meat slings I fab'd.
But I also like the lightweight WPS frames for heavy hauling too, so I combined them. mix & match modularity.
I mainly hunt off the back of mules in NE Oregon Wilderness, so I've never really liked the traditional back packs as they interfere w/ saddle.
But the modularity of the Nimrod/WPS hybrid gives me the best of both worlds. I can ride w/ the Nimrod Base Belt & Gear Bag and have everything I need to jump off and make a run at some animals. If I need to shuttle meat I have my meat straps that I can buckle on the back to move qtrs. And I can still buckle the gear bag on top of meat if need be. Like to haul out heart & liver etc.

Or if I'm hunting out of the truck, I can run w/ the WPS frame & Bighorn bag.
And I can drop the bag & frame off once at base camp & run light w/ the Nimrod Base Belt & my meat straps.
Like I said... mix & match, size up or down as needed. PM me for some links to pics if you care to see what I've done.
Anyway works for me. Good luck on your hunt.
Hunt'nFish

PS, I also have a Oregon Packworks "Orion" that I like as well. This one might be more your style. Frameless but again, very modular.
And built like a tank right here in Oregon. Check out thier vids.

this sounds interesting, i ran a bighorn from WPS for awhile and i really liked the layout of the bag, hell it would be a killer daypack if that was my only need for it. my biggest issue with it was the waistbelt didnt carry the weight i was asking of it for being a frame pack. it wouldnt stay tight either. if you got another belt to fit on there that could be just what that thing needed. if i hadnt of sold it i think i would rig that bag on a bikini frame and be good to go for 1 night and under

I'm the opposite. For early season I run w/ just the softshell.
I can see the forecast and don't like to backpack hunt in the rain. And besides a little light rain isn't gonna hurt anyone.
And the softshell dries fast and breaths well. But honestly, even it comes off once the sun comes up.
I suppose it comes down to what weighs less.

I can see the logic in taking a UL breathable rain jacket simply as backup and nix'n the softshell.
Problem is I like my softshell (Columbia Silent Sheild) to hunt in.
Great pockets w/ large enough chest pockets for enough gear to go spot or hunt w/o a pack.
Kinda nice living close to 3 differant Columbia outlets. (Wink)
Think I paid around $80 for top/bottom set of Silent Sheild.

Also I know everone here is all crazy about Merino and all, but don't under estimate the value of a good fleece 1/4 zip pull over
or two for layering. Many times this is all that is needed in the mornings.
And if you understand the value of washing in DWR replenishing cleaner, the water beeds up and runs right off.
And again it dries fast.

Hunt'nFish

my softshell weighs as much as my spindrift and rain jacket combined and is not as good an insulator or as weatherproof... when camp is not on my back i will definately use it

my softshell weighs as much as my spindrift and rain jacket combined and is not as good an insulator or as weatherproof... when camp is not on my back i will definately use it
True, but those puffy jackets are kinda noisey and he did say weather wasn't really that much of an issue.
Ok, I yeild.... 1/4 zip fleece w/ UL rain jacket for back up.
Like said by someone else, some good deals on the discontinued Russell APX Cyclone stuff out there.

For me keeping warm isn't a real issue. As a 6' 250+lb guy built like a mule,
I don't pay too much mind to weight. But I can see were you skinny guys have to.
You can't pack as much, or for as long, you get cold so easily, and gotta eat
every 2hrs otherwise you poop out. he, he, he. (Yeah I'm jealous and being facetious.)
Hunt'nFish

stephen b

WKR
this sounds interesting, i ran a bighorn from WPS for awhile and i really liked the layout of the bag, hell it would be a killer daypack if that was my only need for it. my biggest issue with it was the waistbelt didnt carry the weight i was asking of it for being a frame pack. it wouldnt stay tight either. if you got another belt to fit on there that could be just what that thing needed. if i hadnt of sold it i think i would rig that bag on a bikini frame and be good to go for 1 night and under

Yes the belt to me on those WPS frames are one of its down falls. One other is its ht, as just like the MR Nice frame, it is on the short side. But since I am 5'8", it does not work too bad for me. Oh- And another downfall is they are heavy; most of the setups with the standard Molle frame are over 7 lbs.

BTW- I had the chance a year ago to weigh one of those Outdoorsman Optics packs ( just like the one on the Meateater show) and it came in a just over 9lbs empty. Yikes!

For quite a number of years I used that frame and harness from them (WPS). I still have an older model Bighorn bag that is lighter than the ones now. Mine is right at 1lb. 15 oz for a 26-2800 ci bag. In fact I bowhunted/ bivy hunted for a couple overnights last fall with that bag attached to a duplex frame. I also have a WPS Muley pack that I have cut out the waist belt and other stuff that now makes it 1 lb and I can use that on a couple frames.

A couple years ago since I still had a couple of WPS bags ( but had sold the frame and harness from WPS ) I bought just the frame itself ( made by Downeast and same frame that WPS uses) on eBay for only $12 shipped. I have shoulder harnesses that work very well with it and are much better IMO than the WPS sh harness. And as far as waist belts go, I have a couple of combinations that work real well for that Molle frame. The best is using a Dana Design ext frame lumbar pad with a Kifaru waist belt. It really is great and it does carry like a dream for a day pack. The problem though is that they are heavy. Mine comes in at right about what the WPS one is for just the frame; WB; and sh harness- about 5.25 lbs before even putting a bag on it.

But for some uses these frames can be a great ( albeit hvy) pack for day use and hauling. My Son in Law used one ( my modded out one) last year for deer hunting and he thought it was one of the most comfortable packs he ever used. He thought the REI Mars pack that he usually used was comfortable; but he thought the Molle framed pack was more comfortable. He said it fit his back great and he said when using it as a day pack, it felt like it was not even there- it conformed to him so well.