Backpack fishing...spinning rod and reel setup

I want to incorporate some fishing into my backpack trips this summer. I am in Colorado where fly fishing rules, but I have all of the fly gear. I am looking at picking up some new spinning equipment for when we hike up to little lakes. My wife also can't fly fish and doesn't care to learn, so if I take spinning equipment only it will cut down on a bunch of crap I would have to carry.

I need advice/info on your rod and reel combos, cases and ways of transport, and what other tackle you carry with you. I'm looking for stuff that's packable and light that I can last to my pack, but I don't want to lose functionality by going with some telescoping rod that can't fling a silver spoon more than 10 yards.

Beastmode

WKR
I carry a clear bobber with a piece of tippet tied to it. Tie a fly on the end. Usually about any fly will work but a royal wulf seems to me my local favorite.

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
well - unfortunately, I have thought extensively about this and tried a variety of various setups. I typically will pack into Lake Eleanor up in Byers Peak wilderness and there are a TON of fish up there. I tried an ultralightweight spinning setup, but the bulk of the spinning reel make it difficult. it takes up precious space and the line jumps off those cheap spinning reels VERY easily.

What I do - get an Orvis 7-piece travler fly fishing rod. The break down to like 10 inches, and you can use a compact 2 or 3 weight reel. You will catch more fish too!

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
LL bean home brand travel rods are excellent and they come on sale regularly or if you sign up with them they email 20% coupons regularly. I borrowed a buddies for a Caribbean trip a few years back, between him and his dad I think they have 3. Beans has a lifetime warranty as well.

Very best,

Ian

zwoehr

FNG
I use a lightweight okuma rod and a Shakespeare synergy 200 reel. The rod weighs almost nothing and the reel is maybe 4 or 5 ozs. I use a clear bobber that you can fill with water (forgot what it's called) for a float and weights with flies as lures. Works great for brook trout in the alpine lakes in the Olympics. As for carrying it I just strap the pole to my pack and try to be really careful.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are big fans of the Daiwa mini spins. Lightweight, and the little case works as a mini tackle box:

3fe5a00d.jpg

It weighs in at just under 24 ounces. That includes the case, rod, reel with line, and a small amount of tackle. Here is what the inside of the case looks like:

1c509b2f.jpg

SANY0745.jpg

SANY0722.jpg

SANY0723.jpg
[

Last edited:
Got one of those little daiwas myself. Had it for 5-6 years, still going strong. Use it backpacking and take on an annual trip to Wisconsin and throw it in the kayak.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Home built 2 weight is my weapon of choice. I take a sage click 1 fly reel. I use a light weight rod case that came with a different rod. I can't remember what it's made out of off the top of my head. Weight savings can surprisingly add up if you condense down to one fly box of go to flies and choose a lighter fly box.

tttoadman

WKR
my small setup is the top of an old spinning rod and about 20ft of fly line tied to the bottom eye. If I wanted to make a pack in setup, I would just use the top 2 pcs of my 8' 4wt and do the same thing. no reel required. even a 10" trout in a high mt creek is awesome on a handheld rod 4' long.

SDC

Lil-Rokslider
A tenkara rig takes up a ridiculously small amount of space and weighs very little.

I have to actually find my UL spinning rig (this is what happens when you move). It's a tiny little thing.

OP
B
Thanks everybody, I am heading out to cabelas right now to go look at some stuff and see which route I want to go.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I run a fenwick 4 piece spinning rod in a 7 foot length. I pack it in a fluorescent light tube cut to fit the desired length. I have to strap the bottom section to the outside with rubber bands because the bottom eye won't fit inside. this setup will accommodate two rods in that manner. I run a shimano synergy reel w/rear drag. You can get great casting distance with this setup and works well for small to large fish. I like the rear drag so you can make quick adjustments if necessary. I have backpacked this setup many days and haven't had any issues with damage. The rod is in the $60 range.

OP
B
Thanks everyone. We ended up getting the eagle claw trailmaster rods and put a couple cheep $29.99 cabelas fish eagle spinning reels on them. Bought a small little case to hold some tackle and we are good to go.

Went fishing this weekend with them on a camping trip and my wife even reeled in a nice 22" 3 lb rainbow on her rig.

Works well, light, and packs down to a small little rod case.