Backpack for a first time 10 day Elk hunt

splojo

FNG
Hello! So I think I posted this in the wrong forum earlier. (sorry new to forums) So a buddy and I are going to Montana in September for a backpack archery hunt! Im looking for help tho! I need a backpack for the trip and am wondering what kind do you all think is best to hopefully haul an elk and carry 10 days worth of supplies? Right now I am looking at the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0. I saw one for sale by @msstate56 and may bite at that one.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Sooo much info on this topic. There's a rabbit hole of info all over the forum here. I've done a ton of research in the last year and came to the conclusion that there's 3 tiers of packs. You can either spend the big bucks and get a quality pack like Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Exo, or Stoney Glacier. Spend mid-tier money and get something from Slumberjack, Horn Hunter, Badlands or Tenzing, etc. Then there's the Wal-Mart random brand name specials on the bottom.

All of them will work, it just depends on your budget, how durable you want it to be, how much weight you want it to carry and how comfortable you want to be while wearing it.

Personally, I went with a mid-tier Tenzing pack as it's been a long time since I've gone elk hunting and my budget isn't the greatest with a mortgage and two kids right now. You can bet I'll be swapping it out for a top-tier pack in the next couple seasons though. That's my endgame!

Scrappy

WKR
Don't overlook top tier used packs on the classified. I'd buy used before I bought a lower tier. I'm saying that because I tried the lower tier my first year. Let's just say I saved and worked overtime to be able to get my kifaru.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How much elk hunting / elk packing experience do you have?

First time backpack elk hunt in warm weather can get you in a mess quick if you don't have your stuff together.

Idahunt

FNG
This season will be my first 10 day backpack elk hunt as well, after sifting through the forums and listening to podcasts and taking advice from those with plenty of experience I bought a used kifaru fulcrum from the classifieds here. It seems the experts agree that you should buy the best you can afford. Put your money into boots, packs, and optics. I'm just a newbie at backpack elk hunting so my plan has been to take the advice of those who have already figured it out. Hope this helps

OP
S

splojo

FNG
What's your budget? Sounds like your planning on keeping camp on your back the whole time? Or are you going to spike camp?
I’d like to stay under 300$ if possible! We are going to spike camp but probably hike up to 15miles the first day to get into the country

OP
S

splojo

FNG
How much elk hunting / elk packing experience do you have?

First time backpack elk hunt in warm weather can get you in a mess quick if you don't have your stuff together.
This will be my first trip. The guy I’m going with has gone before but to Idaho. We are going end of September 23-Oct 1..it seems like temps will be 50°-20° Based on historical records

Scrappy

WKR
I’d like to stay under 300$ if possible! We are going to spike camp but probably hike up to 15miles the first day to get into the country
With a 300 budget you can get a top brand frame which is the most important part of a pack. A few cheap dry bags with your camp lashed to a good frame and your set. Get a good pack down the road. The frame will allow you to carry camp with you and an elk out.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my first trip. The guy I’m going with has gone before but to Idaho. We are going end of September 23-Oct 1..it seems like temps will be 50°-20° Based on historical records

Has the guy you're going with ever knocked an elk down? They are not a small animal. Not to rain on the parade but packing an elk out from 15+ miles deep is going to be brutal to say the least. And that is if you're in shape and used to the elevation. I would be realistic and educated about what you are signing up for.

OP
S

splojo

FNG
Has the guy you're going with ever knocked an elk down? They are not a small animal. Not to rain on the parade but packing an elk out from 15+ miles deep is going to be brutal to say the least. And that is if you're in shape and used to the elevation. I would be realistic and educated about what you are signing up for.
Yea, he and his dad have. Thanks for the advice!

SWOHTR

WKR
...have you ever done this before?

Seriously. Let’s manage some expectations here. It’s a romantic idea that has the potential to lose its appeal after the first day. Not to be doom and gloom, but have a backup plan and something at the truck...base camp.

I suggest trying a bunch of one day trips and possibly a few overnighters before committing too much.

But to answer your question: get a frame, then add bag(s) to it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
15 miles? Have an outfitter with horses on your InReach to come get it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
15 mile deep backpack elk hunt. Do some math.....

Drop a bull opening morning, you've got 3 big loads or 4 manageable loads to get out. 50-70 degree temps, best if it's on ice ASAP.

15 miles out, say 2k gain/loss X2 guys heavy
15 miles in, 2k gain/loss, empty
15 miles out, say 2k gain/loss X2 guys heavy

45 miles with 6k gain/loss in probably 24 or 36 hours......are you a competitive ultra runner? I'm not. I don't backpack hunt elk 15 miles deep.

My advice to most people asking about their first backpack hunt / backpack elk hunt is to start with a backpack mule deer hunt. Better success rate, much more manageable packout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR

I'd keep that under 4 miles. If you go 15 miles you'll either be walking in circles or crossing highways.

For a $300 pack I'd look for a used Kuiu - you'll need another $200 or so to get into "alpha" packs (did I just make that a thing?).

However, I'm a guy who had the same romantic notion and went on my first one last year. We went just over 4 miles into a canyon that other people didn't want to go, and the only other people we saw in a crowded OTC unit in 6 days was 2 guys that we helped pack out a very nice 6x6. I didn't notch my tag but we had an absolute blast and are chomping at the bit to go back this year. So, don't let the idea and some of the comments scare you, but be aware that it is serious business. If you decide you don't like it when you are miles deep in the wilderness, guess what? You are still going to be miles deep in the wilderness.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hello! So I think I posted this in the wrong forum earlier. (sorry new to forums) So a buddy and I are going to Montana in September for a backpack archery hunt! Im looking for help tho! I need a backpack for the trip and am wondering what kind do you all think is best to hopefully haul an elk and carry 10 days worth of supplies? Right now I am looking at the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0. I saw one for sale by @msstate56 and may bite at that one.
You're not going to have enough room I don't think. I do a lot of 7 to 14 day hunts off my back and I run a Stone Glacier 6200, 6900, 7900 depending on the weather of where I'm going and number of days. I have not run the Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 but it only have 4932 cubic inches and I run out of space on my 10 day hunts even with my Stone Glacier 6200 cubic inches and end up using a dry bag on my load shelf for the pack in. So if I was you I would look into a bag with at least 6900 cubic inches and a load shelf for the elk.

Last edited: