Backpack for Alaska Moose Hunt, Bone in Requirement

CC

FNG
So excited to started planning a DIY Fly in Moose hunt in Alaska for 18. I am researching which Pack I should go with. I have been blessed to own a Barney Pack frame and a Kifaru Argalli. I have hauled out a bull Elk on the Barneys and cow on the Kifrau. The Kifaru is hands down the most comfortable pack for hiking in the timber and for lighter loads 60-70 lbs a great pack. I know it can handle more! I haven't put 100 lbs in the Kifaru yet, but the Barneys sure handled 105lbs Nice when I hauled out my bull elk. I know Moose quarters will top the 100lb mark and cape and Antlers are huge. The question that I have, should I get a Barneys bag to go on the frame, Yukon or Hunter? I know I loose the shelf going to the Yukon....good or bad? or should I take the kifaru? Can I fit a moose quarter in that bag? Can I strap a skull and cape too? Hoping for Luke to Chime in and others who have owned both bags. Thanks again for helping me along. Blessings
Casey

I think that with the Barney's frame you have the perfect moose quarter hauler and unless your going to be doing some kind of backpack hunt, there's no need to purchase a bag. I don't think fitting a moose hind quarter (bone in), into the Argalli bag is going to happen unless you shoot a pretty small moose. The average rear Alaska/Yukon bull moose quarter is going to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 lbs and can push 160-170 for a big bull. Coupled with that, they can be pretty big in diameter, again assuming your leaving it on the bone. Hey, I have a question for you, how's the fishing in Poindexter Slough these days?

OP
C

CC

FNG
I think that with the Barney's frame you have the perfect moose quarter hauler and unless your going to be doing some kind of backpack hunt, there's no need to purchase a bag. I don't think fitting a moose hind quarter (bone in), into the Argalli bag is going to happen unless you shoot a pretty small moose. The average rear Alaska/Yukon bull moose quarter is going to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 lbs and can push 160-170 for a big bull. Coupled with that, they can be pretty big in diameter, again assuming your leaving it on the bone. Hey, I have a question for you, how's the fishing in Poindexter Slough these days?

Thanks for your advice! I'm thinking I would like to have a bag along for the trip as we like to backpack as much as possible. We do all most all of our hunting here 1.5 miles plus from the road. I was told with an Alaskan Moose you don't want to get much father than a couple miles from camp though. Can I fit a rear quarter into a Pinnacle bag? Or Go with the hunter and compress the bag when not in use and strap on the quarter with the frame. I wish I could see a hunter bag with a quarter still on the meat shelf, I agree the Barney's frame is just about perfect for hauling a quarter. The meat shelf seems to put the weight right where it needs to be... That's why I'm kinda afraid of attaching a bag to it, although I have read people like the pinnacle bag. I was thinking It would be hard pressed to fit a quarter into the Argalli. I have read where some attach the grab it, but to me it seem like it wouldn't function as well as the Barney's.

We moved to Dillon a couple years ago. The slough is still very popular, can see it out our back window. My son pull a nice trout out of the upper Beaverhead last year.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Barney's packs have hauled more moose quarters in the last 30 years in Alaska than any other pack...and for good reason...they flipping work. The Kifaru is great overall pack, but if I was hauling quarters give me the barney's....or my EMR 2, but def not the Aragali. ;)

OP
C

CC

FNG
Barney's packs have hauled more moose quarters in the last 30 years in Alaska than any other pack...and for good reason...they flipping work. The Kifaru is great overall pack, but if I was hauling quarters give me the barney's....or my EMR 2, but def not the Aragali. ;)

Thanks for chiming in Luke. Yukon or Hunter?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I like on big bag of the pinnacle more than either but of what you mentioned I would get the Yukon for sure

GKPrice

Banned

I agree with what he says ^^^^^^^

geriggs

WKR
I'm going with papa bear for first time this year. I'm bringing mountain rambler and cargo panel. Probably overkill but we will see. Hoping for best.

OP
C

CC

FNG
That said I would just bring a frame myself like Troutbum suggested. Doesn't get much simpler than that and save ya money.

I just got done with some testing. I found for me with 90 lbs of rocks in a sack, the Kifaru would carry the weight a little better. I have had a bad back and the kifrau keeps the weight on the hips better than the Barneys so I don't need to lean forward as much... both are extremely good packs! I have a 32 inch waist and the Barneys just doesn't nail it like the Kifaru. I like the idea of keeping the frame bare as both of you have mentioned. So my plan is to keep the frame bare and use as/when needed for haul outs. I may look into getting an EMRII bag to take for the Kifaru as you mentioned it works for Moose quarters too. I hope to do some Pack rafting in the future and I believe the EMR will hit the spot. Hopefully the next test will be with 600-700 lbs of meat :) Thanks again all for your advise!!!!

Daniel_M

WKR
Keep in mind a moose hind quarter can weigh upwards of 150#, and typically not boned out in the field. Tough to beat the Barneys load shelf.

You won't find a better stable platform to strap bone-in moose quarters onto than the Barney's. I run 4 NRS camlock straps on mine and it's super easy to just flop a quarter down and strap it down solidly. I've seen/heard of guys putting a Kifaru belt onto a Barney's before. If all it is is the hipbelt comfort, I'd just mount that Kifaru belt onto the Barneys and call it good.

OP
C

CC

FNG
You won't find a better stable platform to strap bone-in moose quarters onto than the Barney's. I run 4 NRS camlock straps on mine and it's super easy to just flop a quarter down and strap it down solidly. I've seen/heard of guys putting a Kifaru belt onto a Barney's before. If all it is is the hipbelt comfort, I'd just mount that Kifaru belt onto the Barneys and call it good.

I thought about that. The hip belt is where its at on the Kifaru. Does anyone have pictures of a modified Barneys with a Kifaru hip belt? I know this has been brought up before but I have never found any pictures.

kodiakfly

WKR
I thought about that. The hip belt is where its at on the Kifaru. Does anyone have pictures of a modified Barneys with a Kifaru hip belt? I know this has been brought up before but I have never found any pictures.

Friend of mine down the road did it and has hauled with it. I'll see if I can get some pics.

Stikine

FNG
Just bumping this back up...I'm interested in any belt modifications to the Barneys frame that folks have tried and had success with? Mine seems to eventually slip down on me.