Backpack for awkward loads

GabeAK

FNG
So I’m in the market for a new hunting pack. I am trying to decide between a Seek Outside breakaway and the Kuiu LT Pro. I have done a lot of research to narrow my selection this far but i’m having a hard time deciding between these two. I could use from help from those that have experience with either or both of these pack systems, specifically when it comes to their ability to handle large, heavy, awkward shaped loads. I typically haul meat out of the backcountry bone-in so my concern in particular is that the load sling mode of the Kuiu pack might not shine with half a caribou or a moose quarter in it. Anyone with these packs have experience hauling big awkward loads like that with either of these packs? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have used Kuiu for a year. Handled the weight fine, but the issue for me was the boned out load shifting on me. It handled as much weight as I could physically carry. I am prototyping out this as a more secure way to carry a heavy load.

Its on a Kifaru, but it will go on a Kuiu frame too. The bag will fit right over the top.20210210_073613.jpg20210210_073531.jpg

OP
G

GabeAK

FNG
Nice! That looks like a pretty sweet setup for boned-out-meat-hauling. My issue is I want my pack to handle irregular shaped loads with a depth of 10-20 inches between the frame and the bag. I’m not really looking to fab up my own system or tweak an existing one. I’d like to buy the pack best designed for the task. I’m leaning towards the SO breakaway system. Just have to decide which bag to go with...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I picked up a Seek Outside frame a few months back, I have not gotten to use it much, but it carries well for what I have done (strapping a child carrier to it and sand bags). My guess is the strap system on it will carry a load as well as my Exo does, and I really like how the Exo carries odd loads.

It is also pretty easy to connect an Exo bag to the SO frame, if the SO bags don't appeal to you.

No experience with Kuiu packs, so cannot compare the SO with them.

OP
G

GabeAK

FNG
Thanks for the insight! Curious what child carrier you strapped to it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice! That looks like a pretty sweet setup for boned-out-meat-hauling. My issue is I want my pack to handle irregular shaped loads with a depth of 10-20 inches between the frame and the bag. I’m not really looking to fab up my own system or tweak an existing one. I’d like to buy the pack best designed for the task. I’m leaning towards the SO breakaway system. Just have to decide which bag to go with...

What sort of irregular loads? If they are stiff, the straps will be fine.

20 inches is pretty big, not sure the strap goes that long. I can check the Kuiu size.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the insight! Curious what child carrier you strapped to it.

The Deuter Kid Comfort Active. The shoulder straps on the Carrier are easy to remove, making the attachment cleaner and making it easy to put things between the carrier and the pack frame. I am considering cutting off the child carriers hip belt to clean it up more, but have not convenced myself I want to permanently modify it yet.