Backpack for carrying Lone Wolf Assault

Cmb213

FNG
Hey all! I'm looking to find a pack that I can use for day hunts on public land here in New England. I'd really prefer to carry my stand between a frame and the pack, not strapped to the outside. I was looking at designs like the Kifaru Stryker and Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38. It would be a daypack 95% of the time with a once every few years trip out to my brothers place in Colorado. I'm focused more on the ability to securely and comfortably carry my stand a few miles into public land, with enough bag space to stuff my cold weather camo in and hopefully quarter up and pack out a nice doe or 2. I dont have any brand loyalty here, but I dont wanna spend a few weeks pay on the setup either. What do you guys think? Suggestions? Any help is appreciated!

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the Mystery Ranch sawtooth 45 for the same purpose. It comes in tomorrow. I was looking at the pop up but it seemed a little bit too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cmb213

Cmb213

FNG
I'd be interested in what you're thoughts were on the sawtooth after you get to play with it for awhile

Exo.

Bag pulls off the frame. They have a seperate load panel available to secure things directly to the frame.

I could get pictures of the assault on a k3 frame for you if interested.

I use a pop up 38 to hunt NY and PA. It handles a stand and winter layers well. If you get lucky, it may have trouble handling gear, stand and meat in one trip, but then again so might you. It won’t do as well as a full size frame for carrying a big camp load.

other MR options like a sawtooth, pintler, mule on a full size frame, as well as other brands will work too and the will be better as full size haulers but not as small as a day pack.

I am fortunate enough to have both the pop up and a full size MR frame with a 45 and 80 liter bag (Pintler and beartooth). If I only had one, it would be the pintler but I do like how small the pop up is in daypack mode.

OP
Cmb213

Cmb213

FNG
Exo.

Bag pulls off the frame. They have a seperate load panel available to secure things directly to the frame.

I could get pictures of the assault on a k3 frame for you if interested.
If you could get pictures i would definitely appreciate that! Thanks!

If you could get pictures i would definitely appreciate that! Thanks!

So I was confused on my Lone Wolf, it's the bigger stand, Alpha? But I have the smaller XOP knockoff of the assault. So that's what is pictured.

Ignore how fat my pack and shirt make me look. That's my story anyways.

IMG_20210308_174415273_HDR.jpgIMG_20210308_174754353.jpgIMG_20210308_174824121.jpgIMG_20210308_174836897.jpgIMG_20210308_175117829.jpgIMG_20210308_175128974.jpgIMG_20210308_175138533.jpg

This is an Exo k3 with a 4800 bag with the k2 crib panel. Tall frame without the extensions extended. I have kill kit, small tarp, and puffy stuff in the bag.

Following up with option 2. Not enough picture space.

Here is a Hill People Gear Decker frame. I really like this pack too. Little more utilitarian, not featured so much for hunting but it is a good pack.

IMG_20210308_180016475.jpgIMG_20210308_175833695_HDR.jpgIMG_20210308_175826935.jpgIMG_20210308_175813540.jpg

This is the Decker frame and bag. Bag has all the same stuff that I had in the Exo shoved into it.

They both work really well with the stand. Both carry it without any movement. I don't think one would work better than the other for carrying the stand, it's just whatever else you might want out of the pack. I believe either would allow you to haul meat and stand just fine. The 4800 bag has more capacity, the exo frame with their panel also allows you to move weight up your lumbar a little more than the HPG does.

OP
Cmb213

Cmb213

FNG
Thanks for posting the pics, I've spent a lot of time looking at packs online and looking at dimensions or bags and stand platforms but its more helpful to have a visual to compare with, appreciate it!

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I've used my Kifaru packs on those occasions the last 2 years where a treestand was needed. Treestand between bag/frame or buckled in on back of pack.

Truthfully, the best treestand pack I've used was a Eberlestock X-2. Best treestand, sticks, carrying pack used. And easy to hang in the tree.

Still have my Lone Wolf alpha, assault hand climber, Assault fixed and 2 sets of 3 climbing sticks (stealth stripped), But my saddle system the last 2 years is my 1st choice if going up a tree. Just due to one stick climb method, saddle, rappel rope and total weight of 7lbs. EZ carry in & out. Up in a tree, set up to hunt in less than 15 minutes.

tbian1

FNG
I've used my Kifaru packs on those occasions the last 2 years where a treestand was needed. Treestand between bag/frame or buckled in on back of pack.

Truthfully, the best treestand pack I've used was a Eberlestock X-2. Best treestand, sticks, carrying pack used. And easy to hang in the tree.

Still have my Lone Wolf alpha, assault hand climber, Assault fixed and 2 sets of 3 climbing sticks (stealth stripped), But my saddle system the last 2 years is my 1st choice if going up a tree. Just due to one stick climb method, saddle, rappel rope and total weight of 7lbs. EZ carry in & out. Up in a tree, set up to hunt in less than 15 minutes.
I also loved my x2 for stand hunting. Unfortunately I just couldn’t get it to fit right. I’m 6’ and the hip belt always rode at or above my belly button.

I’m currently looking at replacing it with a ligature Stryker or ME Pintler.

tracker12

WKR
Over the years I have tried using a pack. but always come back to a Molle system on my stand then attach a small pack to it. Carries as well as a pack and you loose all the pack weight.