Backpack for hauling chainsaw

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
After last archery season I started getting really active with a group that volunteers in the national forest doing trail maintenance. This spring and summer I'm going to be hauling a chainsaw for long distances into and in-between the work areas and would like to strap it on my pack rather than have it on my shoulder. On occasion, the trips will be overnight so I want something that will also accommodate camping gear so I'm not interested in the purpose built wildland fire packs. Due to the likelihood of fuel spills/leaks I'm extremely reluctant to use my hunting/backpacking setup, a seek outside peregrine. And, to be honest, while I totally love my Seek Outside system I'm not sure it is robust enough to hold up to prolonged hauling of odd shaped, hard sided, heavy things like a chainsaw. I never thought I'd say this, but I wish I still had my old MR crewcab as that would have been perfect. I'm just wondering what you guys would do. Get a separate bag for the S.O. frame and hope the frame and suspension don't get gas spilled on them? Get a dedicated setup for trail work? Any ideas or suggestions on which direction to look would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Just slide it into a contractor or trash compactor bag and strap to outside of your pack.

I carry a little Stihl vertically in a contractor bag in my college "book bag" to clear trails or clean up camp widow makers on our land. It doesn't leak a drop of fuel. Oil is on the chain, which I sleeve before putting in the bag.

I spent a few seasons doing trail work for the forest service and carrying a chainsaw is a bitch after a few miles, especially as you gain elevation. I used my crewcab as you mentioned, worked so good.

hadda

FNG
I have had 3 jobs where I had to do serious multiday trips with a chainsaw and carrying it on the shoulder with a padded sheath is def the best option if youre using it often. Also happens to be the simplest and the cheapest solution. My coworker just cut up a cheap foam pad and taped it around a plastic bar cover. . To go hands free to climb or rest get a large biner put it around webbing on the hipbelt and around the saw handle. If you were packing it in and THEN using it, maybe theres a good pack option but I never found a good solution while carrying camping gear. It is definitely not worth spilling gas all over an expensive pack. This is coming from a guy who has owned a Kifaru EmR2, crew cab, and arcteryx packs worked as a hotshot firecrew, park ranger, hunting guide and often carries a husky 372 or stihl 362. Im also a gear dork. ;) But I had to admit simple was better

Outlaw99

WKR
I’m in a similar situation. Don’t need to haul camp gear, but need to carry a days worth of fuel, bar oil, axe, wedges, etc. Already have a duplex hunter frame; leaning towards a Stryker xl, Stryker, or nomad 2. With the addition of a grab it and other pouches as needed. Curious to hear more thoughts and experiences

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found chainsaws easier to tote with a pack by removing the bar and chain from the head and reassembling when I get to where I’m going. Less wear and abrasion by the chain that way too.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All these ideas are better than the WWII/Korean War issue GI packboard (no belt) I used on trail work for the USFS back in college. The MR NICE frame would have been perfect. These new tall frames are so much better, but too tall to throw a saw over the shoulder, at least for me.

Last edited:

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta agree with hadda, I've tried some different options, always end up throwing it over the shoulder. A nice padded sheath is key

I pack a chainsaw in my Kifaru Stryker. It’s nice, as I’ll be riding a section that needs no maintenance, then have a log that needs cut, then back on the mule, then off again. I can have it in and out in 30 seconds.

tjb44

FNG
I would say a Kifaru Stryker could handle it as well as a Kifaru frame with the cargo net rigged up. Also, you mentioned Mystery Ranch - some of their military line of bags are pretty well built to carry awkward loads like that.

hadda

FNG
Be very very wary of any carrying option that puts a leaky, greasy, saw with sharp dogs in your pack and top of all your fancy camp gear. Also be wary of any option that makes the load too tall or far away from your back. This is the problem with any meatshelf or " strap it to the outside of the pack" situation.

OP
Pigdog

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies! I’ve done the over the shoulder with a padded scabbard in the past and will still do that for shorter distances or when I’m using the saw along the way. I really like the looks of the Stryker and think it would probably be perfect. Maybe I’ll work some overtime while the weather is still questionable and go that route. There’s a MR frame in the classifieds that’s not too expensive that I’m tempted to grab and add a bag to later, but it’ll be a while before the snow starts to melt so I’ll probably just keep waiting for the right deal on a good durable hauler to come along.