Backpack Gear list Critique

Wrench77

WKR
I'd recommend you look at the sawyer fast fill for the squeeze filter, it makes it so you can fill your bladder without removing the bladder from your pack. I bought the in line Sawyer earlier this year but I didn't like unloading/loading the pack every time I need water, so I've switched to the squeeze with fast fill and I'm much happier. I also have a piece of Tyvek you can have if you wanna give it a try.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Is it puncture resistant Wrench? Thats reason I need it. I will investigate the fast fill. Wouldnt the Sawyer inline adapter kit do the same thing? Wait is the Fast fill the little valve I put on my hoses? If so I have that already. But I still need the sawyer adapter kit so I have the little adapter to put on both ends of the sawayer. Thanks again.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah I just looked at the fast fill. I do already have that. So Im good there. But need the inline adapter still. Cant find it anywhere locally. REI. DICKS, Sports Authority non carry it.
Update did the REI store lookup for that part and the flagship store has it. Im going to call em at 9 and verify then head down there and snag it.

James

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
You can also just get a patch kit and then you don't have to bring two pads. That is a big waste IMO. ThermaRest sells a small universal patch kit.

If you choose to the bring the Ridgerest pad you can just use that to sit on. I have a buddy that uses one for just that reason.

If you want to bring the REI pad (which is what I would do) just buy a cheap blue pad and cut a small piece to sit on. They are warm, cheap and weigh next to nothing.

Piroducksx3,
Pm me with your email address and I'll send the weight calculator to you.

Thanks justin thats a good idea on the blue pad. I will look at that. And good point on the Thermarest as a seat.

Wrench77

WKR
image.jpgimage.jpg
Is it puncture resistant Wrench? Thats reason I need it. I will investigate the fast fill. Wouldnt the Sawyer inline adapter kit do the same thing? Wait is the Fast fill the little valve I put on my hoses? If so I have that already. But I still need the sawyer adapter kit so I have the little adapter to put on both ends of the sawayer. Thanks again.

Tyvek is pretty tough stuff if you take a little care choosing where your going to put it down you should be good. The piece I have weighs 4.5 ounces. If you use the sawyer fast fill there is no need to run the sytem in line also.

Last edited:
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Wrench. I use a platypus thats why I want the inline. I fill my platypus with dirty then put it inline with the fast fill to my Camelbak. I also use this for at camp so I can filter clean as I go at camp. I like your system too though. Thats Ligit and I may do that also for quick fill while on the go. Wrench we are dong a hike around the lake later at Bowles and Wads you should join me and Crazzytrekker. We are prepping for our Scout trip which is next weekend =-)

Let me know if you want to join us for a hike.

James

Wrench77

WKR
SHTF, thanks for the offer. I did six miles yesterday off trail and tore my heels to pieces so I'm gonna have to pass this time.

Rucker61

WKR
Thanks justin thats a good idea on the blue pad. I will look at that. And good point on the Thermarest as a seat.

I just picked up a Thermarest Z-Seat. It's 2 oz, and it will work as a seat for camping or glassing, while also sitting in the Grab-It as protection for the bottom cam of my bow. It might even work as a rather firm pillow.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thats a score Rucker. Nice. I got my adapter kit. for the Sawyer now. This works better then I thought fills 3 liters with gravity in around 3 minutes. totally contained system and all of this weighs less then the PUR I had. Loving it. I will have to do a Video of this inline Sawyer Squeeze Filter working. Porbably the best water filtration Ive seen and fastest with no effort, no pumping.

Jager

WKR
If your that keen on ditching ounces, ditch the sleep pad, it is a comfort, not a necessity, ditch the fire tinder and flint, you have waterproof matches, ditch the toothpaste and either use just water or salt, do you realize what toothpaste smells like to an animal, they will pick it from miles. You get my drift, if you want to be ultra light going in hard and fast JUST take complete necessities. There is no complete food list in your image, but i'm betting you could ditch some of it.

Ah yeah, ditch the Goal Zero.

I'm with Snyd though, 34 pounds is nothing, I prefer to carry a few extra comforts these days rather than ounce count, it is a real trade off though, after stomping for 4 or 5 hours you are swearing at yourself for bringing the sleep pad or such, but when you have stopped for the night and crawl into your bag, you then appreciate carrying it.

Look fwd to seeing a few trophies from you, good luck.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Try this. Cut out everything that is still considered by you to be a luxury and put it aside and load your pack and do a real hard training hike with your pack. Then after you have recovered a few days add the luxury items back and do it again and see if it made any real difference to you. At this point you are trying to save a few onces and I bet in the big picture it won't make a hill of beans difference in your day but going without a pad will plain suck. Buying a new pack to save two pounds and be just as comfortable and able is brilliant. Buying a new sleeping pad that cuts a third of the weight out of the old one without losing r rating or cushion is brilliant. Cutting your pad all together and struggling to sleep ... not so brilliant.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Dave excellent advise thanks and you have some great points. Jager also the same. Excellent advise and well noted.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Wrench. I use a platypus thats why I want the inline. I fill my platypus with dirty then put it inline with the fast fill to my Camelbak. I also use this for at camp so I can filter clean as I go at camp. I like your system too though. Thats Ligit and I may do that also for quick fill while on the go. Wrench we are dong a hike around the lake later at Bowles and Wads you should join me and Crazzytrekker. We are prepping for our Scout trip which is next weekend =-)

Let me know if you want to join us for a hike.

James

James have you thought about leaving the camelback at home and just using the inline filter to filter the water as your drink? We sometimes bring an MSR bladder for camp water if water is scarce, but otherwise just use our 3L platypus big zips to drink from during the day and hung as a gravity filter in the tent to fill up the cook pots and what not with. That might save ya some weight (around 6 oz) right there, then you never have to wait to filter to drink the water easier. I can pull my bladder, fill it in a creek, and put it back in my pack much faster than I can pull out the big zip, fill it, attach it to a camelback, filter the 3 liters, and then put the platypus/filter setup back. Just a thought.

OR Archer

WKR
i see you're packing two jackets. Id pick one and ditch the other. That'll save you 1.5# right there.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah Luke I totally thought about just hooking the Plat Big zip I have straight to my Sawyer and just drinking straight from that. Thanks I am still considering this as it would make complete sense my only reservation is where the water is where we are going till Im 100% sure having the extra may be a life saver.

Man Ive struggled with my Jacket situation and need to find a good balance here. I have 1 rain jacket, 1 hunting coat that is the scent blocker, then I have the puffy for insulation at night if I need it. Ive made a bit of an adjustment to the system already as my wifes REI which is big on her so it fits me is 16 ounces so Ive added this to my scouting trip which is saving me a few ounces. I wish I could find a good balance of insulation rain protection and hunting outwear all in 1 but thats tough to find without spending 100s of dollars.

Back to the Platypus Big zip. Luke do you guys use your plat as dirty water bag? I heard you have done a few vids on the Sawayer system, Can you point me to those?

Thanks again

its good to keep things in check. i try to play the part of ounce counter guy but felt like i should weigh my pack i wore scouting yesterday. 33lbs. for a quick day scout. hell i was back to the truck before noon. that weight is really nothing...

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
yeah thats a great weight. We are doing 3 days 2 nights for scouting 4th of July weekend and will be up at the Coninental Divide. Im sitting at 41# with water and Spotting scope and Tripod.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yeah Luke I totally thought about just hooking the Plat Big zip I have straight to my Sawyer and just drinking straight from that. Thanks I am still considering this as it would make complete sense my only reservation is where the water is where we are going till Im 100% sure having the extra may be a life saver.

Man Ive struggled with my Jacket situation and need to find a good balance here. I have 1 rain jacket, 1 hunting coat that is the scent blocker, then I have the puffy for insulation at night if I need it. Ive made a bit of an adjustment to the system already as my wifes REI which is big on her so it fits me is 16 ounces so Ive added this to my scouting trip which is saving me a few ounces. I wish I could find a good balance of insulation rain protection and hunting outwear all in 1 but thats tough to find without spending 100s of dollars.

Back to the Platypus Big zip. Luke do you guys use your plat as dirty water bag? I heard you have done a few vids on the Sawayer system, Can you point me to those?

Thanks again

Yep, the Platy is a dirty water bag which is nice cause the big zip opens up so large makes it easy to fill.

http://vimeo.com/45224015

At 10:45 of this video you can see me getting done filling Becca's Camelback bladder with my Platy big zip/saywer inline setup then fill up 3 liters of water for myself in about 7 seconds to drink as I go or gravity filter into a cook pot as needed. After this trip we decided we were time and effort ahead getting Becca her own Platy Big Zip/Sawyer inline setup as its faster to never have to wait to filter anyones drinking water for the day just filter as you drink, and its nice to have a backup filter for very minimal weight penalty one filter cracked or something for some unknown reason. We do sometimes carry a "clean water" 6 liter MSR bladder, but only fill that on a if we have to basis. Overall its so much faster to fill and drink straight from your "dirty" water bladder I've found. No squeeze BS for me!

cmeier117

WKR
Luke have you found a downside to that setup? I ran a 4L bladder with the 3in1 filter as a gravity filter. If I did your way I would save 4-5 ounces and could ditch the dirty 4L and run your setup.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke have you found a downside to that setup? I ran a 4L bladder with the 3in1 filter as a gravity filter. If I did your way I would save 4-5 ounces and could ditch the dirty 4L and run your setup.

I haven't found myself wishing for my hiker pro yet..but still have it in case I find instances that I do....in freezing temps you have to be a big more careful, but I drain the filters every night to get most the water out. Been using mine for nearly 3 years now and love it!!! Much faster, lighter, and not pumping, squeezing or waiting for chemicals to work or other such nonsense.