Backpack Gear list Critique

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So I have been counting the ounces in my pack and tonight I went through and itemized everything. Help me determine where I can shed some weight. 34# without water.

Let me know what you guys think and where I can lighten up my load.

7mag.

WKR
Your sleeping bag is pretty heavy. I have the same problem, my bag is 4.5 lbs.

I did my math wrong, your bag isn't that bad.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd leave teh goal zero at home, get a real tripod for your spotter or leave the spotter at home and the pod, and also bring a bow or rifle along atleast some sort of weapon unless you plan on just going with the CRKT knife ;)

Looks good overall....I'd run that no problem and not look back. Look forward to seeing some hunt reports from ya!

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Your sleeping bag is pretty heavy. I have the same problem, my bag is 4.5 lbs.

I did my math wrong, your bag isn't that bad.

yeah its just over 2 lbs =-). Cant get much lighter well unless I went with a golite bag but I think they are pretty close too.

It's a great list. If you were looking to cut weight something like a super down jacket for insulation for -11oz. In the sleep system you could go to an exped ul 7 for -11 oz and I guess I don't understand what the ground tarp with case is? I'm guessing you could use a piece of tyvek at 4-6 oz and save 10 oz. so that 32oz if you wanted to get real picky.

OR Archer

WKR
you could substitute a piece of tyvek for the ground tarp. super light weight and folds up really small. probably save you another 8-10oz.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Sleeping bag and pad could be lighter but that will cost a bit. Like others have said, Tyvek ground cloth would save a few ounces and that one wouldn't cost anything. Overall not too bad. Looks like you are missing a couple things too.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah this pack list is for just for up coming scouting trip. I dont have my bow and archery tackle in there as we dont plan on killing anything. The Tarp and case is just that its something I put down so my REI Stratus doesnt strike a hole since its a 2.5 inch blow up pad. Thanks for the tips. Is the Tyvek stuff puncture resistant? Thats why I have the tarp. Mountainsmith LT is my Shelter. Id love to snag a super tarp but right now the checking account doesnt allow for it. With my Bow and some different Ultralight backpacking foods I think I can keep it under 50# for 7 to 10 days. My Kill Kit would be adding in some Golite Monster stuff Sacks that weight about 3oz a piece. Gloves and a Havalon knife.

id say it looks a little incomplete. pad is heavy. as said substitute tyvek, muleman had a piece in classifieds.
your water filter is heavy. whats in the hygiene kit, seems heavy. puffy is pretty heavy as well. i wouldnt pack the goal zero. my .02

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
If I was being over critical, here would be my thoughts:
- a 21 ounce down puffy for pre-season scouting (here in CO) is too much
- that sleeping bag is heavy. Considering a light bag and wearing clothes if absolutely necessary
- that sleep pad is heavy
- ground tarp is heavy and could probably be eliminated (just depends)
- That pack is bomber, but heavy and you could probably do something lighter for pre-season scouting
- the light is the first thing I'd replace
- food is a personal choice and you might save some weight there as well.

I'm being picky, and it's not practical to go out and make a bunch of changes. When I was streamlining (years ago), I made a list of things I wanted to change. Then I looked at the price per ounce saved. I prioritized based on the most weight savings for the least amount of dollars. In the above list, I bet the light would be at the top of the list :)

breacher

FNG
I carry a bic lighter vs. other fire starting methods. Never failed me but I guess its possible it could break. It would save you over an ounce compared to what you are using. Might be splitting hairs though....?

cmeier117

WKR
Sleep pad - Get a new one, something under 20 ounces
Ground Tarp - tyvek
Goal zero - Don't take

With that said it looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't hesitate to use that for scouting and you shouldn't be that heavy for hunting.

blb078

WKR
If you can swing $150 get a thermarest neo air x-lite, just got one the other day and like it so far, that will save you about a pound in the pad
Get this instead of a goal zero, if you need it for something other than a cell phone to to radio shack and make and adapter http://www.newtrent.com/store/android-phone-external-battery-1.html
Golite has their down coat on sale for $99 and it's 15oz
If all your warming up is water you can get a titanium cup and a cheap esbit stove which would save some weight too

I just did this too and an area that could be much lighter for both you and I is the sleep system. Pretty heavy bag and pad. I have BA lost ranger 48 BA air core 24 and grand trunk travel pillow 12... its just so comfortable that I cant really be happy about spending money to upgrade in that area but it would be pretty easy to drop a pound there.

Snyd

WKR
I don't know... some guys just kill me..... 34lbs is nothin. I say maybe just ditch a few things you think you can live without based on some guys suggestions if you want. Save your money and have a nice trip. Unless you really want to spend hundreds of $$ to shave a few ozs. Been there done that. It's not always worth it. Put the $$ towards some better binos and spotter or gas for your truck. I'll say it again.... 34lbs is nothin. Go find some critters!

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For early season scouting and most hunting, my pad and quilt weigh 15 oz. (Xtherm) and 14 oz (Zpacks 30* quilt)
That's 29 oz total.

I think this is one area where most guys carry too much weight. If it's really cold I go to a 15* Marmot bag. (32 oz)

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
All Great advise for sure. Snyd Im with you on that. My friend. But My plan here is to shave as much as possible without increasing my costs to much. I have my limits. I maybe able to rework a few things based on the suggestions here and thats exactly what I was looking for is advice on where people see that I can improve. Now is it logical or economical to improve those areas? Some yes and some no. But at least I have the advice now and have some definite places to look at with my gear and what I can improve. If it means waiting for funds to do it then I go with what I got. But if I can swing something for this season Then I may do it.

Thanks again guys. This is why I love Rokslide. Great folks with Great advice.

by the way my Hygiene kit for me = Toilet paper Tooth brush Small Travel Tooth Paste and some Wipes. I know my limits and I cant stand fuzzy Teeth or wiping my arse with leaves =-). Wipes for me are very neccessary as I cant stand climbing into the bag at night being sticky from sweating all day. I gotta have something there. =-)

Thanks again everyone. I will make a list tonight and start researching and seeing what will be feasable to upgrade.