Backpack hunting choice

I’ll be doing my first muley hunt this year during Colorado archery season. I have a pack from my backpacking days. My question is, can an 80L backpacking pack (not a hunting pack) suffice for packing out a deer even if I have to make a couple of trips? It’s a solo trip.

Additionally, how ma 80L. What about a 60L?
Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be doing my first muley hunt this year during Colorado archery season. I have a pack from my backpacking days. My question is, can an 80L backpacking pack (not a hunting pack) suffice for packing out a deer even if I have to make a couple of trips? It’s a solo trip.

Additionally, how ma 80L. What about a 60L?
Thx.

I think the biggest thing is that backpacking packs are made with considerably less durable materials and components in an effort to shave weight. Be careful with punctures from bone or branches etc. Can it work? Sure. Are there better tools for the job... Definitely. Happy hunting

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Does it haul a load well? Many backpacking packs suffer above 40-60 pounds

Throw the max load you expect to haul in it and take a 6 mile walk. Then decided. But, yes, it will work.

My first three elk packouts were with a 100L Osprey backpacking pack. The Kifaru I have now definitely handles heavy loads better, but the Osprey was passable as a meat hauler.

OP
Planopurist
Does it haul a load well? Many backpacking packs suffer above 40-60 pounds

Throw the max load you expect to haul in it and take a 6 mile walk. Then decided. But, yes, it will work.

Good idea. I’ve used it for 50 lbs. for about 7-8 miles. I figure that’ll handle 1-2 bone-in quarters plus extra meat/gear.

OP
Planopurist
My first three elk packouts were with a 100L Osprey backpacking pack. The Kifaru I have now definitely handles heavy loads better, but the Osprey was passable as a meat hauler.

It’s an 80L (expandable to 96L) Mountainsmith rated for about 65 lbs. I may give it a go.

sndmn11

WKR
It should be ok with 2-3 trips. A quarter doesn't weigh much at all, worst case scenario you pack out a front with your gear on trip one, a rear, back straps, and extras on trip two, trip three is the remaining rear and front.

If the pack is similar to a "hunting" pack, one trip has been common for us.

It’s an 80L (expandable to 96L) Mountainsmith rated for about 65 lbs. I may give it a go.
You should have plenty of pack volume. I would recommend loading it up to whatever max weight you think you might carry then taking it on a test hike to see how well it carries. Keeping a heavy load high and tight can be a challenge without a load shelf...some extra compression straps might come in handy. When I was hauling meat in my Osprey, I would tie the meat bag to the carry handle at the top of the frame to keep the meat from sagging down to the bottom of the pack.

tracker12

WKR
Boned out deer is around 45#. most packs can handle that. I used to use an old Lowe 60L pack with good results

Depends what pack it is, my Dana Designs Alpine Arcflex carries extremely heavy weight as well or better than my hunting pack. Keep in mind that Mystery Ranch designs are pretty much rehashed Dana Designs packs. If the existing pack you have is an ultralight backpacking pack it may struggle with hunting weight loads and durability. If its a mountaineering design such as a Dana or Gregory, than odds are it will be more than adequate... Guys hiking in for mountaineering or big wall ascents carry every bit as much weight as you would packing out a mule deer or elk, maybe more. Don't get trapped into thinking that only a "hunting brand pack" will work. I have a hunting specific pack because I don't want to get my backpacking pack bloody, not because it can't handle the weight.

I used to use a Mountainsmith, they handle weight just fine. Use what you have, identify it's short comings, if any, for your use, than research a replacement, if necessary. Don't fall into the "cool" factor of having a hunting brand pack. 10-15 years ago, we all used backpacking packs, or army surplus pack frames, and they worked just fine.

Backpacking packs are generally not meant to haul the weight a hunter needs. Especially if you are lucky enough to harvest one. Its more than likely going to be uncomfortable under heavy load, and may also completely fail. Maybe not though…

S.Clancy

WKR
I started out with Osprey and Arcteryx packs, they work just fine for an animal here and there. Now, if you get to the point where you are packing 4,5 or more animals a hunting season, might want to spring for a dedicated pack.

With this much time until you hunt, i wouldn't even consider a hikers backpack. I'd either buy used? Or just pony up ;)

Luety

FNG
A guy I hunt with walks around with a backpacking pack then keeps a bigger hauling pack at the truck/camp. He just has his kill kit in the bag then after the harvest takes care of it, puts what he can hauls it out and swaps bags.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Heck, can use a couple of pillow cases then tie off and toss one over your back and let one hang in front. If are strong enough, that is.

I used a metal external frame pack on my first western hunt and poorly fit me and I was spike camping a new spot each night so was 70 pounds beating up my back. I began to wince. But, was a free loaner pack so i made out like a bandit financially that trip.

I then decided was time to buy a pack that would fit me better and was as if had died and gone to Heaven the next hunt. No tender spots on my back. 100 pounds felt like 70 pounds. Could secure the load better so less swaying of the pack on uneven ground.

I still use that pack and has lasted over 30 pack hunts. Works out to $10 a hunt. No back bruises. Steadier. Seems less heavy than is when a heavy load.

I would buy a different pack today but would once again look for a pack which molded to my back and fit snug on my hips so can shift the weight balance between hips and shoulders since that is a huge plus with my pack using the load lifter system.