Backpack hunting the east?

Been doing it for 30 years in the Mon forest here. Deer densities are very low across these ranges. Bear numbers are high, Tough hunting with more years eating the tag versus packing out the meat because it is so much ground that if the area you choose is void of hard mast that year, its going to be nothing but a camping trip. Find where the hard mast hit in the mountains and you will find good hunting. Mountain deer move with the food. Forget that square mile stuff. Only other thing I'll add is after the middle of October, you are very likely going to be in the 20's at night and, by early to mid November, single digits or lower at night. Keep that in mind. Because, it's every bit as western as anything you'll do out west. So, plan accordingly.

ScottinPA

WKR
Didn't realize there were so many guys on here from my area. I'm in Scandia, just north of Warren. Been thinking of doing the backpack thing in archery. If you guys are meeting to discuss this and don't mind another, let me know.

By that time of year I'm long over the tent life, but we do a week of rifle doe hunting with the wall tent and camper.
The weather can be down right miserable that last week of rifle.

Didn't realize there were so many guys on here from my area. I'm in Scandia, just north of Warren. Been thinking of doing the backpack thing in archery. If you guys are meeting to discuss this and don't mind another, let me know.

Do you know Ed Jones? He’s the one putting that big new build on the right of Scandia Road going to the New York border.

There is a lot of places to backpack hunt in vt, nh and me. Green mountains, white mountains, all the way to baxter. You can camp in all of it. Lots of game with terrain as rugged as I've seen out west. I'm one of the few who prefer it east. It's been years since I've seen another person in any hunting season unless I wanted to.

I’ve been looking at the Green Mountains for about 6 months to do a mountain whitetail hunt there.

I live in Warren, PA, after just coming back from CO yesterday, I also have a curiosity about back country hunting in the ANF. This might be better discussed over a beer?

I don’t drink anymore, (Army ASAP) lol but I’ll keep the fire stoked. The more of a Backcountry crowd I can find around home the better. Like brokenstraw rod and gun club just a little more hardcore.

Minnesota is about as far west as you can get in the east, but all the state forests allow distributed camping and hunting, and many have restrictions on motor vehicle travel. There's also, of course, the boundary waters, and while density is low, it's a cool place for a deer/bear hunt even if you come out lighter than you'd like.

I find that any ‘Eastern’ State that holds a decent black bear population/ has Sasquatch sightings...yes lol... holds some form of Backcountry

Haven’t done much lately, but been back packing in the Allegheny national forest for almost 30 years. My buddy has a camp by Tionesta off of route 666 right by the flying W ranch. The deer hunting has really gotten good up there and the bear hunting also.