Backpack Hunting With Diabetes, By Cody Hoff

I take it all out of the packaging and into a small plastic watertight Tupperware container. Makes it a lot more compact with very little garbage. Definitely check out the Tandem Tslim X2 and Dexcom. Game changer

Good idea, I’ve looked at the dexcom I like being able to ghost load the minimed, basically refill the reservoir without having to change everything, giving me a few extra days. Is that possible with the dexcom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram94

WKR
Good idea, I’ve looked at the dexcom I like being able to ghost load the minimed, basically refill the reservoir without having to change everything, giving me a few extra days. Is that possible with the dexcom?

I’ve never tried, so I can’t give you a great answer on that. I can pull 8-9 days out of 1 reservoir though so it’s not an issue really.

I’ve never tried, so I can’t give you a great answer on that. I can pull 8-9 days out of 1 reservoir though so it’s not an issue really.

Oh yeah that much more than I’m getting even with the refill. When hunting I’ll get about 6, I’m hiking so much I don’t need much insulin.

montei

FNG
I’m a similar build. Always wear mine on my upper butt area off to the side, just below where my belt on a pair of pants would sit. Haven’t had any issues with the pack when it’s there since the pack belt sits quite a bit higher.
This is also what I do. Works great. I also use a a wipe Called “skin tac wipes”. It’s basically an adhesive wipe that help the sensor and site stick better. They stay on forever that way.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
This is also what I do. Works great. I also use a a wipe Called “skin tac wipes”. It’s basically an adhesive wipe that help the sensor and site stick better. They stay on forever that way.
+1 on Skintac. Dexcom also has free over patches that are basically custom cut Tegaderm. You have to call for them. Medtronic has similar ones...

I spent a 10 day session with my son at his Scout camp in Missouri in late June, didn't have a CGM pull off the whole trip, which included a day hike of 24 miles, sweat soaked the whole time.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone found a spot for the Dexcom that works well with a heavy pack? I’ve tried under the pack belt on my sides, which is where I normally wear it but it will start to hurt eventually and also on my upper torso, lower lat sort of spot but it hurts to sleep on. I’m fairly lean/muscular so I’m leery to try back of the arm. Any suggestions?
CGM (Dexcom) on triceps, infusion (T-Slim) on outer upper thighs or glutes so that I don't sit on them. Finding an area with enough fat for good interstitial fluid flow without poking muscles below and not pulling the canula/sensor wire when moving is the focus...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Does anyone else use the Medtronic guardian 3 sensors & 770g pump? Good or bad? Lately their sensor quality has been all over the place as far and regulating and failures. Just curious what other people’s experiences are. No matter whether you’re in the backcountry or doing day to day stuff it gets pretty frustrating. And Medtronic doesn’t really have a good explanation or response in my experience.

hoff1ck

WKR
Does anyone else use the Medtronic guardian 3 sensors & 770g pump? Good or bad? Lately their sensor quality has been all over the place as far and regulating and failures. Just curious what other people’s experiences are. No matter whether you’re in the backcountry or doing day to day stuff it gets pretty frustrating. And Medtronic doesn’t really have a good explanation or response in my experience.

I don’t personally but that seems to be pretty par for the course with their sensor. We’re hearing the new one paired with the 780 is supposed to be better, so time will tell.

Hey guys,

I have a question for everyone, I moved to Alaska 2 years ago and have been having issues finding a reliable endo doctor here locally. I’ve been seeing a doc virtually, who lives in Cali. My issue is the doc wants to pimp me out to every other doc in their network. The doc also isn’t diabetic, which in my experience adds to the level of understanding of some of the realities of being diabetic. I recently got a new tandem pump, which is working well, but I had to make some changes bc of lows. The doc didn’t seem to happy about that asking why I did the changes, and imo the changes have taken care of a majority of the lows I was experiencing so the changes I did seemed to work. Needless to say I’m not impressed with my current doc situation.

Does anyone know of a local endo doc in Anchorage, the valley, or can anyone suggest an online virtual doc?

Also I’m using the G6 sensor, has anyone used the new G7 sensor? Pros cons vs the G6?

hoff1ck

WKR
Hey guys,

I have a question for everyone, I moved to Alaska 2 years ago and have been having issues finding a reliable endo doctor here locally. I’ve been seeing a doc virtually, who lives in Cali. My issue is the doc wants to pimp me out to every other doc in their network. The doc also isn’t diabetic, which in my experience adds to the level of understanding of some of the realities of being diabetic. I recently got a new tandem pump, which is working well, but I had to make some changes bc of lows. The doc didn’t seem to happy about that asking why I did the changes, and imo the changes have taken care of a majority of the lows I was experiencing so the changes I did seemed to work. Needless to say I’m not impressed with my current doc situation.

Does anyone know of a local endo doc in Anchorage, the valley, or can anyone suggest an online virtual doc?

Also I’m using the G6 sensor, has anyone used the new G7 sensor? Pros cons vs the G6?

The doc thing is tough. Endocrinologists in general are in short supply. Our group has been trying to hire more for a few years, just a small graduating pool each year. State laws make it tough too. Not sure how Alaska works, but here in Michigan I can’t technically see anyone virtually unless they’re here in the state because of the way our licenses work.

As far as the G7, I switched about 2 months ago. So far it’s pretty good. It’s not perfect, I tend to have a fair bit more signal loss than I ever had with the G6. I’ve been told that has been fixed and should get better with future shipments. But no transmitter and the half hour warmup time is really nice.

go_deep

WKR
Hey guys,

This might be a long shot, but teach out to the Barber Davis Center in Aurora Colorado, they do video appointments, and may work with you.

On the G7, my son switched a few months ago, going great. Takes about 20 minutes to get a number, a lot smaller unit, he seems to like it a lot.

This might be a long shot, but teach out to the Barber Davis Center in Aurora Colorado, they do video appointments, and may work with you.

On the G7, my son switched a few months ago, going great. Takes about 20 minutes to get a number, a lot smaller unit, he seems to like it a lot.

Thanks for the lead I’ll reach out to them.

The warm up time seems way faster than the G6. Good to hear it’s working well for him. I’ll see about switching over to the new system.