Backpack Hunting With Diabetes, By Cody Hoff

68Plexi

WKR
It is amazing how far tech has come in this area. If you haven’t seen it checkout Sensonic eversense. If they can deliver it will blow away any current cgm on the market in how long you can wear it. I’ve been contemplating moving over to the G6, I’ve always used a minimed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apple is also teasing a non invasive CGM in the Apple Watch. Not sure if that will be in the 7 or how accurate it will be out of the gate. And the battery life on an Apple Watch is terrible, but if they are investing in that tech now, someone will figure it out. There is a lot of $ to be made when they do.

Ram94

WKR
Not sure how many here are aware of this, but they are getting very close to a cure here in Alberta.

I've donated a few times already but it seems like they aren't getting the exposure that they need to hit their goal. Maybe Covid is stealing the spotlight. For anyone interested anyways...

68Plexi

WKR
Not sure how many here are aware of this, but they are getting very close to a cure here in Alberta.

I've donated a few times already but it seems like they aren't getting the exposure that they need to hit their goal. Maybe Covid is stealing the spotlight. For anyone interested anyways...

That would be a historical advancement in medicine!

Rosey

FNG
Thanks for a great article and encouraging others! Type 1 here as well for 30 years since age 20. Did a backpack Dall sheep hunt in Alaska at age 43. You can do it if you plan and prepare. You are so right that current technology makes it easier. I’m using exact same diabetes management system as you. Keep up the good work.

Scoot

WKR
Yet another Type 1 diabetic here too. I was diagnosed at 38 (a late bloomer, but definitely Type 1) and have dealt with it for the past decade. It sucks, but as you point out in your article, it's manageable. You really hit on all of the high points that I've dealt with on my trips. The added comments about glucagon are valuable too (I carry a pen because my ins still doesn't cover the nasal spray). Teaching a partner where it is and how to use it in advance could save your life.

Well done and thanks for writing this!

Last edited:

laclement

FNG
Yep you guessed it.. another Type 1. Since I was 8, 20 years this coming August. Also, a recent recipient of testicular cancer. Thanks for bringing awareness and the nice write up. I've hunted in Arkansas and Texas my whole life and went on my first western expedition last year for elk. I went solo and had an amazing time and luckily thanks to all the tools we have now didn't have any issues. I've got one of the Medtronic 770g with the cgm now. I went old school pump on my trip last September and just cut back the basals by 50% and probably about the same on bolus' too. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the cgm this year if I can make it out again. I carried gatorade packets and glucose gel packs to keep everything in line. Again, great article.

Ram94

WKR
Where are you guy’s inserting the cgm for hunts? I have mine on my side, so it sits underneath my pack belt. Usually no issues but it does cause some discomfort from time to time.
Also, picked up that nasal glucagon, so thanks for that bit of info! Great thread

laclement

FNG
I'm wearing mine on the back of my arm for everyday use.. I don't know how that will work in a hunting situation yet but I put StayPut med patches on it and 2 toddlers haven't ripped one out yet so there's that.

I wear mine on my abdomen high enough where it won’t rub from the hip belt.

hoff1ck

WKR
Yep you guessed it.. another Type 1. Since I was 8, 20 years this coming August. Also, a recent recipient of testicular cancer. Thanks for bringing awareness and the nice write up. I've hunted in Arkansas and Texas my whole life and went on my first western expedition last year for elk. I went solo and had an amazing time and luckily thanks to all the tools we have now didn't have any issues. I've got one of the Medtronic 770g with the cgm now. I went old school pump on my trip last September and just cut back the basals by 50% and probably about the same on bolus' too. I'm looking forward to trying it out with the cgm this year if I can make it out again. I carried gatorade packets and glucose gel packs to keep everything in line. Again, great article.
Thanks for the feedback! I always enjoy hearing about other people’s experience and I’m glad to hear you’re out west getting after it too.

hoff1ck

WKR
Where are you guy’s inserting the cgm for hunts? I have mine on my side, so it sits underneath my pack belt. Usually no issues but it does cause some discomfort from time to time.
Also, picked up that nasal glucagon, so thanks for that bit of info! Great thread
I started running mine sort of on the top of my butt off to the side, below my pant belt line. Used to use my abdomen, but found my pack belt made it uncomfortable and occasionally would get compression lows from the belt. Suspect the arm would work well too, but for me I’ve found keeping it below my pant belt line works phenomenally well.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys do a similar thing with your infusion sites as you do with your cgms? I’ve been using my abdomen for my infusion sites and I’ve had some problems with the belt on my pack (an osprey day pack) in essence rubbing my infusion site off on long day hikes

hoff1ck

WKR
Do you guys do a similar thing with your infusion sites as you do with your cgms? I’ve been using my abdomen for my infusion sites and I’ve had some problems with the belt on my pack (an osprey day pack) in essence rubbing my infusion site off on long day hikes
I’ll usually put my OmniPod on my opposite side hip from my CGM, or my abdomen above where my pack belt will be. Can see more issues with the tubing and the abdomen, so might have better luck with that upper butt, side hip area below the pack belt too.

I make sure both infusion and cgm are above my pack belt. I then put two pieces of leukotape like an X over the cgm. I found the IV 3000 tape I normally use on my infusion site doesn’t stay on due to sweat, so I use the tape provided with my cgm or leukotape on the edges so it can still be removed.

I read about diabetics climbing Everest and a lot of them have two infusion sets inn, just in case one fails. I know that is a bit extreme but if it is a concern that’s a short term option, until you can change it.

montei

FNG
Wow this is awesome. I am also a type 1 and have been since I was 7 and I’m 28 now. I live in the Midwest but the mountains have been calling. I’ve never let diabetes slow me down but elevation and the amount of exertion gave me pause. It’s cool to see how many other people also have diabetes on here. Nice to know I’m not the only one that has to deal with this.

The Dexcom and Tslim pump have been an absolute game changer for me personally. Thank you so much for the write up! Can’t wait for hunting season!

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the ideas, I’ll have to give them a good and see how it works for me. I figured I was probably doing something wrong, like normal haha

hoff1ck

WKR
I’m going to cover this a bit more in-depth on a future podcast episode. Would really like to give a little more background and take a deeper dive into a few things, so I’ll be sure to update here when that happens. Thanks again everyone for the feedback, much appreciated!

I was diagnosed when I was 13. Now 37. I agree about the technology. If anyone doesn’t use a cgm it’s a game changer. It’s like micro tuning ur bow to a sense. I am intrigued about the loop? I’ve never even heard of that. But being able to connect my pump and cgm together is interesting. I also use the omnipod and g6 Dexcom. Both devices have helped with better A1C and overall control.
I hunted Montana with some friends last September. Each day we hiked 6-16 miles. With 2000 ft elevation changes. I ran temp bolus of 50% and 70% depending on my exertion. Sometimes I’d have to completely suspend my insulin until we reached the top of the mountain we were climbing. Even when super active and insulin suspended my sugar tends to drop. So the clifbloks helped out w keeping my levels up.
does anyone have any other back up glucose options they liked? I took honey stinger chews, skittles and clifbloks. Also had protein bars and jerky for other snacks. Usually a mountain house or peak meal for dinner.
Like everyone else diabetes just means to be more aware and pack the essential things. The fear of goin low definitely added some weight to my pack. This year I’m going solo to New Mexico but with a guide who I made aware already. If anyone has any suggestions on the loop or different snack ideas I’d enjoy the information.

Hey guys I have a question I figured I’d ask here bc it would be nice to hear from some guys who have experience using pumps while hunting. So, my mini med warranty is up which means I can up grade to the latest and greatest mini med if I want or I can change over to T slim and Dexcom. I’ve used a mini med for 20 years now, so I’m pretty comfortable with it. I don’t necessarily love everything about it, mainly the alerts and there can be large variances in the cgm vs reality. I’ve heard good things about the t slim and dexcom setup, my doc is a believer in it also. So my questions are, has anyone switched from the mini med/cgm to the t slim/Dexcom? What do you like or don’t like about it? Are you happy with the change? How do you like it when being active, like hiking, hunting, working out....? has your a1c improved? Do you find large variances in the Dexcom since you don’t calibrate it?

Thanks for the help