Backpack Hunting With Diabetes, By Cody Hoff

hoff1ck

WKR
I can only speak for the Dexcom based on personal preference as I don’t personally use the Tandem pump, but it is fantastic. No calibrations and the 10 day wear time is super nice, and it’s definitely accurate with no calibrations. From a professional standpoint, we have a ton of patients who use that combo and do extremely well. The hybrid closed loop system should be really nice for exercise too. There’s nothing wrong with the medtronic combo, but overall the Tandem/Dexcom combo is probably the most efficient on the market currently.

whaack

WKR
T1D here. Diagnosed at 13, 40 now.

Running Omnipod with Riley link and Dexcom G6.

I run my G6 on the upper back of my bicep and omnipod on my thigh. Works great.

Question- are guys using recovery supplements while on the mountain? I be been on a steady diet of Ibuprofen while hunting but want to know if there is a better option for muscle snd joint recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whaack

WKR
Any recommendations for keeping food in tent during the night for low bs when In grizzly country?

hoff1ck

WKR
I usually keep 4-5 glucose tabs in a ziploc in my pocket, and a granola bar in my pack. I may use a gel packet this year overnight in place of the tabs, so that way it would still be sealed from the factory. I also set a temporary target overnight of 150 to hopefully avoid it altogether. Probably not ideal to have that stuff on me in G bear country, but neither is a low overnight that I can’t treat so I roll the dice a bit I guess. Curious to hear what others do.

My cousin - whose been type 1 for 25 years and very active - had me get these. Havent had one yet but he says they are great for hypo moments and they dont cause a huge crash after like candy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018SURL7S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Also, i’m halfway through Dr Bersteins Diabetes Solutions book. Its been helpful for me to better understand what all is happening to me. Curious if anyone epse has read it and, more importantly, if they follow his diet plan. The past two days Ive been strict 15 carbs per meal and snacking only on cheese, protein like hard boiled eggs, and almonds. My blood sugar has been around 120-150 but no spikes up on down. Almost flatline even after meals. Ill get lower but my body needs to ease into it. Im feel hypo when in the 90s still.

I can only speak for the Dexcom based on personal preference as I don’t personally use the Tandem pump, but it is fantastic. No calibrations and the 10 day wear time is super nice, and it’s definitely accurate with no calibrations. From a professional standpoint, we have a ton of patients who use that combo and do extremely well. The hybrid closed loop system should be really nice for exercise too. There’s nothing wrong with the medtronic combo, but overall the Tandem/Dexcom combo is probably the most efficient on the market currently.
I have the dexcom g6 welcome kit. Ill definitely stuck with it. Not sure about pump yet… sure i will but the idea freaks me out. I like the control of flexpens right now lol. But im barely over a week diagnosed. The new Omnipod that is coming out seems pretty amazing.

I have the dexcom g6 welcome kit. Ill definitely stuck with it. Not sure about pump yet… sure i will but the idea freaks me out. I like the control of flexpens right now lol. But im barely over a week diagnosed. The new Omnipod that is coming out seems pretty amazing.

Yeah I wasn’t to fond of the idea of a pump when I was in high school, but it turned out to be a much better way of controlling my diabetes. Sorry about your recent diagnosis, pumps and sensors will help with making things easier. Most days will be fine, they’ll be things that are frustrating, take the time to learn about how your body responds and better eating habits.

montei

FNG
Yes, the tslim pump with the Dexcom is the way to go. This is the best way to control it in my opinion.

kjw

WKR
Great info and tips going on here. I’m a father of an 8 year old daughter who has type 1. It’s definitely a different setup when she goes with and lots to think about and prepare as she gets older and starts doing longer trips.

Ram94

WKR
Anyone found a spot for the Dexcom that works well with a heavy pack? I’ve tried under the pack belt on my sides, which is where I normally wear it but it will start to hurt eventually and also on my upper torso, lower lat sort of spot but it hurts to sleep on. I’m fairly lean/muscular so I’m leery to try back of the arm. Any suggestions?

Anyone found a spot for the Dexcom that works well with a heavy pack? I’ve tried under the pack belt on my sides, which is where I normally wear it but it will start to hurt eventually and also on my upper torso, lower lat sort of spot but it hurts to sleep on. I’m fairly lean/muscular so I’m leery to try back of the arm. Any suggestions?

Have you tried the abdomen area just left or right of the bellybutton? That is typically where I have my infusion set and sensor (minimed). You could also try placing a belly band or layer of clothing or material in just that area to reduce the rubbing and pressure. I also don’t do the back of my arm. I use lueko tape over the infusion set and sensor to help keep it in place, works well.

Also what pack are you using? Is your hip belt padding taking up all of the real estate, is the belt to big? I ask bc you said you are pretty lean, so a smaller belt may reduce the pressure in certain areas. Just throwing out ideas.

Ram94

WKR
Have you tried the abdomen area just left or right of the bellybutton? That is typically where I have my infusion set and sensor (minimed). You could also try placing a belly band or layer of clothing or material in just that area to reduce the rubbing and pressure. I also don’t do the back of my arm. I use lueko tape over the infusion set and sensor to help keep it in place, works well.

I like the idea of a layer of something between. I’ll give that a shot. My belt is sized well. I actually had Stone Glacier modify it to be between a medium and large and it made a big difference in comfort. Thanks for the idea

hoff1ck

WKR

I’m a similar build. Always wear mine on my upper butt area off to the side, just below where my belt on a pair of pants would sit. Haven’t had any issues with the pack when it’s there since the pack belt sits quite a bit higher.

I like the idea of a layer of something between. I’ll give that a shot. My belt is sized well. I actually had Stone Glacier modify it to be between a medium and large and it made a big difference in comfort. Thanks for the idea

I also run a SG and have had them modify the pack for me.

Ram94

WKR
I’m a similar build. Always wear mine on my upper butt area off to the side, just below where my belt on a pair of pants would sit. Haven’t had any issues with the pack when it’s there since the pack belt sits quite a bit higher.
That actually seems like it would be a perfect spot for me. Not much body movement there and enough cushion. Hadn’t considered that spot before. Thanks Cody!

Is that where you have it for daily life as well?

hoff1ck

WKR
That actually seems like it would be a perfect spot for me. Not much body movement there and enough cushion. Hadn’t considered that spot before. Thanks Cody!

Is that where you have it for daily life as well?
Yeah have been using that spot for a few years now. I just swap sides each sensor change, but it works really well.

Glad this thread popped again. I have a sheep tag (10 days) a goat tag (6 days) and my brother has a goat tag (7 days) this year. What are you guys doing to cut the weight and extra garbage of all the supplies, infusion sets, sensors, backup needles….. are you repacking it a specific way? I know I can reuse reservoirs as long as I have a spare. I’ve been able to stretch infusion sets to 5 days.

For reference I use a minimed but I am up to either upgrade or switch to dexcom

Ram94

WKR
Glad this thread popped again. I have a sheep tag (10 days) a goat tag (6 days) and my brother has a goat tag (7 days) this year. What are you guys doing to cut the weight and extra garbage of all the supplies, infusion sets, sensors, backup needles….. are you repacking it a specific way? I know I can reuse reservoirs as long as I have a spare. I’ve been able to stretch infusion sets to 5 days.

For reference I use a minimed but I am up to either upgrade or switch to dexcom

I take it all out of the packaging and into a small plastic watertight Tupperware container. Makes it a lot more compact with very little garbage. Definitely check out the Tandem Tslim X2 and Dexcom. Game changer