Backpack Month: How to Select a Pack by Aron Snyder

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

How could we ever have a Backpack Month without hearing from the one and only Aron Snyder? He's here with a complete guide to buying a backpack. No matter what pack you buy, you need to read this article. Aron discusses Torso Length and building lists to make sure you get your pack purchase right the first time!

I guarantee you'll learn something if you read this:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/backpacks/129-buying-a-backpack

Last edited:

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Aaron, reading that made me realize i do need two packs for the hunting I do, now to find the one.

mauidiver

WKR
Thanks for making me really think about things I didnt even realize. Being a greenie at packing this was a very informative article. Thanks Aaron.

Colberjs

WKR
In the article you mention the possible need for two packs. Are you meaning on the same trip. Packing in your gear and your day pack and then using the daypack once you set up camp?

I have a couple different packs to use as day packs. An Eberlestock and a Badlands. I really need a large pack for hauling in camp and hauling out meat. But I can see the benefit of the large pack doubling as a daypack too.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the article you mention the possible need for two packs. Are you meaning on the same trip. Packing in your gear and your day pack and then using the daypack once you set up camp?

I have a couple different packs to use as day packs. An Eberlestock and a Badlands. I really need a large pack for hauling in camp and hauling out meat. But I can see the benefit of the large pack doubling as a daypack too.
Not on the same trip....I'm strongly against packing in two for one trip.

Jimss

WKR
Thanks Aaron, that was an excellent article! I would have to agree that having at least 2 packs is a bonus! For the most part I generally hunt 2 separate ways. The first is day hunting from my truck. I generally cover lots of miles so it's a bonus having a compact and super light pack that I have quick, easy, and quiet access to my gear. I'm usually in stealth mode so having compact and quiet access is super important to me! Loud velcro, zippers, and material are avoided! I think it's important to consider what gear you use on a daily basis when considering a day pack. I constantly use my spotting scope and tripod so it's essential to have a pack that I have secure but quick and quiet access to my scope attached to my spotting scope. I always carry water so it's important to have access to a separate compartment for hauling either a water container. The reason I said separate is because more times than once I've had an issue with water leaking to my other gear! It's also nice having a smaller compartment for maps, gps, flashlights, knife, and small gear that is used on a daily basis. This can be a pouch or lid. It's also nice having a larger main body of a bag to keep items secure and dry. I usually store larger items such as raingear, larger coat. A bonus to a daypack would be a pouch and straps four hauling a bow, rifle, antler sheds, etc. With that said, I think it's important to consider what you pack and use on a daily basis for pack #1.

The 2nd pack I use is a multi-day pack generally capable of hauling hefty/bulky loads (camp and meat pack). I have exclusively used and abused an 8+ lb Arcteryx Bora 90 for the past 15 years. It has withstood the test of time and been an incredible meat hauling pack! I've never had a stitch or zipper go bad. I bought it at a fraction of the price of other packs. Anyone on a budget I would highly recommend this pack. I bought mine when they manufactured them in Canada. Since that time they switched to making them in the orient...bummer..but I think they are still pretty good packs. I've been doing more and more sheep and goat hunting in Alaska the past few years where every ounce is important. Most Alaska super cub bush planes restrict hunters to 75 lbs and I have slowly but surely been cutting 1 ounce at a time. Looking through my gear list my backpack is one of the heaviest items where I can potentially dump substantial weight. I obviously don't want to skimp on quality when hauling 40 to 100+ lb loads in remote locations and want a pack capable of hauling hefty, bulky loads relatively comfortably for a week at a time in rugged terrain. Everyone that has packed capes, antlers, meat, and gear know exactly what I'm talking about!

Most daypacks are designed for hauling bulky, hefty loads over 50 lbs but a bonus would be having a daypack capable of hauling out a load after a kill. If you are willing to haul a little heavier pack frame (such as a pack with duplex/bikini frame) it may save a trip to the truck to pick up your hauling pack. In this situation it may actually be good to have a 3rd pack. If you are confident you're going to harvest a critter in a day or 2 it may be worth hauling around a couple extra pound pack that is compact and relatively light that is fully capable of hauling out an entire deer, antelope, sheep, or elk quarter. You may also be able to pack additional gear and food for camping out a night rather than returning to the truck.

With that said Kifaru has caught my eye for a meat/camp hauler and possibly a pack similar to the 3rd option I mentioned. Unfortunately what I seem to be finding out is that weight loss generally comes at a hefty price! I've invested a pretty good chunk of $ into shedding pounds on my gear. I'm not getting any younger so the loss of weight on my back is an added bonus! Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying out Kifaru in the near future!

Again, great article Aron!

Bighorse

WKR
Jimiss, nice rambling thoughts! I so enjoy a good gear thread. I own a stable of backpacks. Just like you the Bora 90 is one of them. With all due respect it hasn't taken the abuse of hunting so well. I've had the harness fall apart by the stitches. Both stays have worn free from containment. The bottom of the belt and the bag have experienced much damage. The load lifters/ harness attachments have failed. It also comes with too many backpacking attachments. That being said... Arxterx warrantee is solid and I got everything repaired or replaced.

If you haven't purchased a well thought out hunting pack yet, your in for a treat! Best wishes in your load hauling adventures.

Jimss

WKR
Bighorse, I would be curious if your Bora 90 was one of the earlier models made in Canada or later ones from overseas? I usually pack 1 or 2 animals a year with mine but it has held up fantastic. It sounds like you put your packs through a lot more abuse than mine! I mostly hunt Colo and Wyo. Possibly the constant moisture in Alaska may take it's toll?

Bighorse

WKR
Well I think it was just the weight and terrain honestly. I know one year it packed a sheep from a walk in Brooks Range hunt, two Mt goats, a Brown Bear, and maybe 10 Sitka deer. After two seasons it was trashed. Moisture.... Nope the fabric on it is really nice. It was the stitching that failed. I even wore out the chest strap on it. The design also swayed too much with weight. It was fine until going north of 60. I think it is Canadian model. It was sent to Canada for repairs too.
Sorry to derail the thread. I believe that when choosing a pack you should always consider how it carrys heavy weight. (100+)
Can I hunt tomorrow with my Bora.? Yes! Would I? Yes! It's a capable load hauler. I prefer other designs is all.