Backpack Month: Paradox Pack Review by Jared Lampton

I can tell you all the Paradox is a great frame and pack system. I used it the past 2 winters Wolf Trapping, I used an extended same frame as in the article, And the Pack bag and talon. I strapped a Loring Fiberglass HD Packbasket to the frame and held up by the load shelf. I used it to haul in heavy wolf traps w 12 feet of chain and 6.5 lb drags. I took several 1.5 mile trips in with 149 lbs in it. It was more than I care to pack for sure, But it did it amazingly well and has held up well so far with extremely heavier use that it was intended for. Ive used it almost daily for 3 months in 2 years of trapping. I cant imagine using anything better for my use. I love the pack for hunting also. Andy

I can tell you all the Paradox is a great frame and pack system. I used it the past 2 winters Wolf Trapping, I used an extended same frame as in the article, And the Pack bag and talon. I strapped a Loring Fiberglass HD Packbasket to the frame and held up by the load shelf. I used it to haul in heavy wolf traps w 12 feet of chain and 6.5 lb drags. I took several 1.5 mile trips in with 149 lbs in it. It was more than I care to pack for sure, But it did it amazingly well and has held up well so far with extremely heavier use that it was intended for. Ive used it almost daily for 3 months in 2 years of trapping. I cant imagine using anything better for my use. I love the pack for hunting also. Andy

Now that's heavy! Good to know the pack can handle that sort of weight over time. Thanks for sharing that.

Bighorse

WKR
Is it possible for you to post pictures of the bottom of your pack now that you've hauled heavy. Nobody sits softly or puts down a load that size easy. I'd like to see how the curved frame area has taken that level of use.

Also, how did you carry all that trapping gear? Talon only or load shelf and bag?

Did you find any of the loads poking you in the back through the mesh?

Thx!

KHNC

WKR
My Unaweep is all packed and ready for AZ lion hunt in two days. Only minor thing ive seen on mine is the buckle falls off now and then if you don't watch it. This is when im wearing the pack without the waist belt buckled. Usually on my flights when im boarding or off loading. Don't always buckle it. I would like to see the belt made so the buckle wouldn't easily just fall off. I had to get a flight attendant to go back in the overhead and get the buckle once.

My Unaweep is all packed and ready for AZ lion hunt in two days. Only minor thing ive seen on mine is the buckle falls off now and then if you don't watch it. This is when im wearing the pack without the waist belt buckled. Usually on my flights when im boarding or off loading. Don't always buckle it. I would like to see the belt made so the buckle wouldn't easily just fall off. I had to get a flight attendant to go back in the overhead and get the buckle once.

Is your buckle not on a loop in the webbing? The evo that I have is set up on a loop for the power pull...can't slide off.

KHNC

WKR
Nope , it falls off constantly . I have to remember to keep it buckled all the time or it will be gone. Maybe that's not a feature on the unaweep ?

KHNC

WKR
Kevin, what im referring to is the fact there is no safety sewing on the webbing at the end of the buckle. Surely you know what im referring to with the buckle coming off?

KHNC

WKR
Is your buckle not on a loop in the webbing? The evo that I have is set up on a loop for the power pull...can't slide off.

I reread your statement. Yes, the buckle is on a loop. However , it easily comes off if you don't watch it. When the loop gets extended and the buckle gets to the end of the webbing is what Im referring to. Nothing to prevent the buckle from sliding off easily. Id like to see a folded over sewn section on the belt at the end.

Paradox heavy use notes

The Pack after the 2 seasons is in excellent condition and the frame also, The LORING Fiberglass packbasket was strapped TO the frame and load shelf underneath. The Packbasket held the Traps and drags, so the bag was not subject to that wearing, But the bottom, and edges were subject to the pressures from ultra heavy loads. I havent been able to upload pics, Off my phoneIMG_20150304_095219860.jpg they are possibly too big of files.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I reread your statement. Yes, the buckle is on a loop. However , it easily comes off if you don't watch it. When the loop gets extended and the buckle gets to the end of the webbing is what Im referring to. Nothing to prevent the buckle from sliding off easily. Id like to see a folded over sewn section on the belt at the end.

If you start to run out of webbing it could be an issue, otherwise it is very hard to get it to come off on its own if threaded correctly. You can send me a photo and I can look to see if it is threaded correctly. If you are always short on webbing sizing up a belt size is not a bad idea as it usually comes with enhanced comfort as well at heavy loads

KHNC

WKR
It only happens when I leave it unbuckled during transport . Throwing it around and stuff . It's packed for my hunt tomorrow right now but I will take a pic and send u one when I get a chance. Thanks

I see what you are saying now and how that could potentially be an issue.
I really like how the compression strap ends are folded and sewn flat at a 45 degree angle. It seems like a nice balance between not letting the buckle slide off easily but making it easy enough to remove it when you want to.

Nate

FNG
Jared,
Great review of what sounds like a great pack. You are testing that pack in some very rugged country. Also was glad to see you guys had a successful season. Nice to see hard work pay off.