Backpack Mt. Rifle Scope Opinions

OP
idig4au

idig4au

WKR
What length barrels are you fellas running on these ultra light mountain guns, if you dont mind me asking?
I shoot just a factory Ruger M77 long action which has a 22" barrel and a Leupy 3-9x40. All set to go it comes in at ~8.5lb. I would sure love to get it closer to the 7lb mark.

Is there already a thread on this else where, dont want to derail the OP thread too much?

I'll be running a 22" Proof Research ABS barrel on my build. I don't know how much the Ruger action weighs, but the first place I would look would be replacing the stock. I'm assuming the factory stocks are fairly heavy. MPI, McMillan Edge, or maybe Brown Precision could be good choices for an lightweight stock if they work with Ruger actions. Would probably have to send them your gun so they can properly bed everything unless you have experience doing so....

Khaybes

FNG
Kahles

Hello,

Wanted to give you another option to look at, the Kahles KXi. This optic weighs in at 16.5 OZ and can be had with the 4D-Dot reticle to give you holds. This is a 1" tube with a very bright illumination. Click adjustment in .25 MOA and the optic is built in the second focal plane.

Link to scope:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/14...cope-35-10x-50mm-illuminated-4d-reticle-matte

Just another option, and from the oldest optics company in existence.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I am the US rep for Kahles and a fellow hunter and shooter myself.

Regards,
Ken Pratt

Shrek

WKR
I have a 3.5x10x50 kx and for the money I'm disapointed. My ziess conquest is as clear and gathers light just as well. Save $700 and get the 3.5x10x50 conquest. On sale at camera land and if you get a rapid z retical you get a $100 rebate. There is no better customer service than ziess. Had an adjustment dial bind and ziess sent a loaner while they fixed mine.

Khaybes

FNG
Sorry to hear that Dave,

The KX was the predecessor to the KXi, which has improved lens coatings as well as illumination. If you have a chance, please compare yours to the new and improved and I am sure you will see a difference. Technology changes all the time and we do our best to keep our optics on the brink.

If you think there might be a problem with the optic, I can oversee the inspection. Just let me know.

Regards,
Ken

Shrek

WKR
Ken ,let me be clear , there is nothing wrong with it and I like it very much. In fact it sits on my main deer rifle and I have been looking through it for the last 13 deer I have shot. That said , I think the ziess conqust was a better deal at $700 less. If coatings have been improved then that may not be so anymore. As for illuminated reticals , I find them to be a gimmik and possible hinderance. I have never been in a situation where I could see and identify an animal that I couldn't use my unlit retical. However , batteries go dead , extra light interfears with image ,and it adds weight.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Ken!

It is awesome to have a major rep available to the members.

I have quite a bit of experience with Conquest and Z3 scopes. I like them both, and think they offer a lot of value. I actually think the Z3 has a pretty good optical advantage over the Conquest, and like the speed and flexibility of the BRH reticle. Both are well ahead of any Leupold offerings I have seen, both in optical performance, and especially eye relief variability. I haven't really seen the new VX-6 yet, and it is supposed to be much improved though.

I also like well-done illumination, because it makes thinner reticles more useable in low light and first focal plane designs. If it is interfering with the image, there is something wrong.

I am quite interested to check out some of Kahles' offerings.

M77 Weight

What length barrels are you fellas running on these ultra light mountain guns, if you dont mind me asking?
I shoot just a factory Ruger M77 long action which has a 22" barrel and a Leupy 3-9x40. All set to go it comes in at ~8.5lb. I would sure love to get it closer to the 7lb mark.

Is there already a thread on this else where, dont want to derail the OP thread too much?
Good luck gettin the weight down on that M77 pig. I pack one in .270, 9lbs with a relatively light VX2. As far as I know, all u can do is get another stock that wont even get me to 8lbs. As far cuttin the barrel down, Ive heard (on this site), that u may risk accuracy. Cant say Ive overlly researched it, so Im interested in what u find out. In the meantime, Im shoppin for something lighter like maybe a ruger american.

Shrek

WKR
Check out the savage lightweight hunter. The ruger m77 has a heavy cast action and not much you can do to make them light weight. IMO savage makes the best rifle out of the box these days. The short barrel affects velosity adversely not accuracy.

Check out the savage lightweight hunter. The ruger m77 has a heavy cast action and not much you can do to make them light weight. IMO savage makes the best rifle out of the box these days. The short barrel affects velosity adversely not accuracy.
That Savage in .308 is another one IM considering. Same scope w/ Talley rings & I would still be way under 7 lbs.

Shrek

WKR
With it's lightened action and stock it is a real weight winner. Can't go wrong with a 308 win. A thingto know about savage is that you don't need a smith to change a barrel. Just a barrel nut wrench and a go and no go guage. Ebco sells a kit for about $225 to your door. Any round in the 308 case family will fit the action and bolt face. If you don't like the short barrel or 308win then change it.

With it's lightened action and stock it is a real weight winner. Can't go wrong with a 308 win. A thingto know about savage is that you don't need a smith to change a barrel. Just a barrel nut wrench and a go and no go guage. Ebco sells a kit for about $225 to your door. Any round in the 308 case family will fit the action and bolt face. If you don't like the short barrel or 308win then change it.
Thats impressive! Im going to check that out. What is included in the Ebco kit?

dotman

WKR
That Savage in .308 is another one IM considering. Same scope w/ Talley rings & I would still be way under 7 lbs.

This is what I'll be getting in the next 6 months or so. I think it is the best value for the money. I just wish they had a 7mm version.

Shrek

WKR
If I remember correctly it is a barrel , wrench , and go guage. You screw the barrel down on the guage until it touches and then the nut down to hold it. The lightweight hinter has a rough finnished nut so that may take a different wrench to take on and off but thats about it. I don't know if a standard contour barrel will fit in the channel without widening it , but that is no big deal. Look on ebco's website for details.

Shrek

WKR
They make it in 7mm-08. That is my main deer rifle round. It is a 700 remington that I had to do a bunch of work to to make shoot. All my new rifles are and wll be savages. I'm looking at a lightweight hunter for a custom project. I want a light 6.5 saum wildcat with a 26" barrel. It only has to be a one or maybe two shot rifle to hunt with so I will go with a pencil barrel and the model 11 short action.

Shrek

WKR
I just hoped over to savages website and see they have gone to a smooth nut. It will just need a different type of wrench. They are still the same design as far as I can tell. I'm heading to savage shooters to get the whole story.

Shrek

WKR
I have a post up asking about the smooth nut now on savage shooters. The search on that site is useless. I hope to get some replies soon with the lowdown on what is needed.