Backpack noise/ squeaks

Griz

FNG
I have an Alps commander Z backpack, absolutely love it. I've probably worn it a total of 20 times give or take. Its basically brand new, been slightly wet a few times and absorbed some sweat. My problem is that its loud. Whenever I'm walking its constantly making noise and squeaking etc. Could this be cause its still new and stiff? Do other guys have this problem? I'm planning on 2 weeks of bear hunting starting may 5th and would love to quite this thing down before I blow a stalk due to noise.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Fellas

I find all packs will squeak at some point, and it's usually when they get dirty/grimey.
I find it's always when the pack material rubs on a smooth surface, usually the frame of part of it.
Just the other day I fixed a squeak on my pack by putting a piece of leukotape on the frame.

OP
G

Griz

FNG
Thanks for your reply. I'll look into taping or maybe I'll take it outside and clean it real good. I did send Alps an email and I'm waiting to hear what they say but I think you are right in that all packs will make some noise.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned above, Step 1 is finding the noise source. Step 2 is fixing it.

I've also found that changing how I load/where items are placed within the pack can change it too. For instance, I had a squeak on an REI pack that happened whenever I put hard objects on the outside. The compression straps held it in place but something just squeaked every trip. I finally took a z-lite pad and created a barrel around the outside edge inside the pack and then packed everything inside this "barrel". Tightened down the compression straps and it was good to go.

Another cause can be the bag itself being lose from the frame. Make sure the attachment straps are tight once it's on your back. The ability of the bag to move independently of the frame is often times a source of noise.

OP
G

Griz

FNG
Thanks for all the input fellas. I'll do some trouble shooting and let you guys know how things go. On another note I contacted ALPS and they were very prompt with a response and offered to ship me a new pack free of charge. I'd rather just work out the bugs in this one. I'll see how it goes

Great pack for the money, I had the same issue with mine. After going over all the joints/pins and taping them with some gorilla tape the squeaking nearly went away. If you can't find it, ALPS is a great company to deal with and has very good customer service as you already know. Good luck on your hunt!