Backpack Opinion....

Just looking for opinions from those of you who have had a Kuiu and Exo Pack system at the same time. Not looking for which pack is better.... seen enough of that....just which one you preferred and why...

I am looking for another pack and I already have a Kifaru with multiple bags.....no problems there....just looking for a lighter system. Just for the record...I am 6'-2" with a long torso and about 194 pounds.

Blessings~

hunting1

WKR
I have several Kifaru’s and the newest Kuiu Pro. Think of them as an F250 and a Raptor. To me, the Kuiu is more comfortable until the 100-lb loads come in. The Kifaru is US made, the Kuiu is Vietnam I think. My opinion.

rootacres

WKR
I have owned almost all of them. I have SG and KUIU currently. I think the comment ^^^ above is pretty accurate. For me the KUIU Pro is super comfy. For day rips they are real nice. The most weigh I have had in mine was around ~70lbs and it did just fine. I gave SG a try for my last two hunts. The pack itself with reasonable weights is close in comfort to the KUIU. I just like the bag/buckles of the SG so that's what Ive been grabbing.

With your existing frame Kifaru frame, you could have a replacement bag made for it as well to shed some weight without the total cost of a new pack. I'm exploring this now with Xpac, for around 10 oz (not counting straps) I think I can make something fairly waterproof, with plenty of exterior pockets for my use and around 4000 ci/ 65 liters.

I have both an older kuiu and a current exo k3.

I vastly prefer the exo. Specifically, the way the bag connects to the suspension. Also, I prefer the belt and the pack doesn't barrel from side to side like the kuiu I have.

The kuiu cinches down very small though. It does win in that regard.

I like both bags for different reasons. The exo is much heavier built.

pc3

WKR
My son has the Kuiu Pro 6000 (latest iteration) and gee its a well thought out pack and a lot lighter than my Kifaru. He loves it, and I like it too. Each has there place I think.

OP
Huntingfarandwide
With your existing frame Kifaru frame, you could have a replacement bag made for it as well to shed some weight without the total cost of a new pack. I'm exploring this now with Xpac, for around 10 oz (not counting straps) I think I can make something fairly waterproof, with plenty of exterior pockets for my use and around 4000 ci/ 65 liters.
And where might one pursue this at??

And where might one pursue this at??
You would just need to commission someone to do it- unfortunately I don’t have a super straightforward answer as I’ll be trying it myself. Might try zimmerbuilt and see if he has any ideas, and then perhaps a few cottage pack manufacturers and see of they can make something that fits the bill. You could also make a post in the MYOG subbreddit on Reddit to see if anyone else has some leads.

Kifaru’s bag attachment system is pretty straightforward, and could be even easier if you didn’t worry about making the frame sleeve. All you need is a bag with webbing that can be hooked to the loops on the kifaru frame via K clip, G hooks, or buckles.

Last edited:
OP
Huntingfarandwide
Update....bought a new KUIU Ultra Frame from one guy....and a Ultra 7000 bag from another. They both look unused and I got them for about half of what they were new....I will keep you posted as to how I feel about them once I try them out.