Backpack overload

gibby97

FNG
So I‘m headed out west on a bow hunt again. Last time I bought a cheaper Cabela’s brand day pack which was hard on my shoulders. I realized not all packs are equal. I have been researching a ton on what pack is best for my needs and it’s making my head spin.

I’m looking for something that I can pack out a potential kill as well as supplies for the day. If i did more than a day it definitely wouldn’t be more than an overnight trip. I’m obivously looking for something comfortable, plenty of pockets, waterproof, etc.

Been looking at MR Sawtooth 45 but wondering if this is too much, not enough or should I be looking at something different. If so what is it?

Marble

WKR
So search this forum and you'll find a bunch of info. Everyone will have their opinions on what's best.

I like to carry a pack with room left. I have never been on the mountain with an animal on the ground and wished my pack was smaller. That being said, there are different size lacks forots of reasons.

I'm not a huge fan of meat shelves but they do serve a purpose.

Do not skimp on boots, backpack or clothing. Any of those can cause unnecessary discomfort and ruin your trip.

I think your on the right track with the MR 45. I'm not familiar with them but they are popular. I like my kifaru packs and I'll stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the initial ascent. Been doing a lot of research on them. Spoke to the owner for over an hour today. There is some great videos on their site..

CoStick

WKR
Don’t stress, no need to spend money if you haven’t packed out an elk. You will know what you need better after. Even if you spend money odds are the first pack out will be awkward because you haven’t done it before. You will manage to get the first one packed out one way or another and great memories along the way.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My recommendation would be an Exo 3500 or 1800. But, that is because Exo works very well for me and is an amazing company to work with.

I have not used MR, but the Sawtooth 45 falls between the two Exos listed in size, so size sounds right for what you want. It has a load shelf, which I personally like. MR has a good reputation, not as good as Exo, Seek Outside, Stone Glacier, or Kifaru, but well worth trying if you like the looks of the pack. Plus, I hear you can usually find MR for a discount, which gives it the advantage in the budget department.

Seek Outside makes great packs, but they did not work well for my body. I want to try a Stone Glacier Terminus, because it is light.

hunterjmj

WKR
I day hunt with a Kifaru Minikeg. It's light, super comfortable and holds all my gear with room for a deer quarter. I'll usually come back the next day with my Kifaru Long Hunter to pack out remaining quarters. This is what I do and it's worked great for me. I like hunting without a big pack and I'd rather not pack an entire deer out in one trip if I can avoid it so this system works good for me. I just ordered the Kutthroat while it was on sale. As my kids get bigger the more snacks and gear I'll need so it'll fill that niche.
So many packs available for so many types of hunters and hunts it's daunting.
Watch videos and read reviews and maybe you'll narrow it down.
I'm sold on Kifaru but that's me. Good Luck.

Ive had an exo K2 5500, a kifaru hoodlum (6500 cu roughly i think) and bought a kifaru stryker xl(smaller day pack type bag). I havent hunted woth the stryker yet so i cant comment there but the exo and hoodlum are both great at handling loads for me. It is very hard to pick a winner based off that.
I will say exo is more of a simple pack, kifaru has endless add on pockets and strap options, which means they can be great or get cluttered. I love that about the kifaru. But if simplicity is your thing the exo is great. All preference there both are amazing packs

CoStick

WKR
My daypack is a Merlin on a seek outside revolution frame. It can pack out anything I can carry and is extremely light. That being said if I didn’t live in west and use it often I would use an osprey daypack or similar

EcoastDG

FNG
My wife and eldest son both use a MR Metcalf. My wife has used it as a daypack (it compressed pretty well)and also on a few multi day hiking/hunting trips. I like MR bags but after packing out a mule deer I found the shoulder straps are too narrow for my body frame. I switched to a Kifaru frame (Hoodlum and Ma deuce bags depending on hunt) and after packing out a few animals it has worked great so far. The shoulder straps are nice and wide.
A few weeks ago I was able to stop by the Stone Glacier shop and was able to try their frame. The staff there were great.
I’m am thinking of purchasing a Stone Glacier to use as a day pack and using my Kifaru for my multi day hunts.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of options out there. There’s really no right answer as everyone is different. Like boots. I have a Kuiu Pro 2300 as a daypack, and had the 5500 for multiday trips. The frame puts too much pressure in my lumbar for anything more than 2-3 miles, so now it’s just a daypack with meat carrying capabilities. I recently went to a Seek Outside pack and it distributes the weight more evenly across my whole back and I no longer get that pressure point on my lumbar. Most likely the SO pack will become my do all pack and the Kuiu will go to my wife. Try on as many packs as you can. Also make sure you get fitted properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gibby97

FNG
Lots of options out there. There’s really no right answer as everyone is different. Like boots. I have a Kuiu Pro 2300 as a daypack, and had the 5500 for multiday trips. The frame puts too much pressure in my lumbar for anything more than 2-3 miles, so now it’s just a daypack with meat carrying capabilities. I recently went to a Seek Outside pack and it distributes the weight more evenly across my whole back and I no longer get that pressure point on my lumbar. Most likely the SO pack will become my do all pack and the Kuiu will go to my wife. Try on as many packs as you can. Also make sure you get fitted properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you hit the nail on the head, there are so many options out there you don’t know what to do. I ended up going with the MR Metcalf. Hopefully it fits my needs, it;s not like i spend all year out west hunting elk.
Packs are pretty expensive to buy more than one trying to figure out what you like and don’t like.

When looking at a pack I usually think about all my gear and how I would organize it in the pack. Look at a bunch of pictures and some youtube videos and mentally map how your stuff will fit. Even take all your kit and put it on a table so you have a visual. If there is logical places for everything and good side pockets or straps then I will be inclined to grab that pack. I did that when I got my KUIU Venture 1800 and its been a really good back so far.