Backpack Recommendation for 4-5 day Hunts

patrat78p

FNG
I am looking to go on my first backpack hunt which will be a Archery Elk Hunt Late September in Montana. We are planning a 10 day trip and thinking we will be hitting 2-3 spots so pack would need to carry 4-5 days worth of food, camp and gear. Currently I have a Mystery Ranch Pintler that is a nice pack but i don't believe will allow me enough space to get 4-5 days. What are some of the packs others would recommend that they have used in these situations? I am hoping to find a few different packs that would work so that i could then watch the forums for a used one. Budget doesn't allow for me to buy all new. I would like packs that have load hauling capabilities as well.

Do you have regular backpacking experience? I ask because your level of experience might dictate how dialed your gear is and how much pack you need. Many people could do this trip with a 3500-4000 cu in pack. Others need 5000-6000.

Generally speaking, a MR Metcalf, Exo 3500, 4800, or 5200, or one of several Stone Glacier or Kifaru packs will work. Fair warning though, the used prices aren’t much better than new.

Your best budget bet is a MR Terraframe 80. They can be found on sale for $300-350.

OP
patrat78p

patrat78p

FNG
This will be my first time going on a backpack hunt so right now i am relying on some gear list from some of my favorite hunters to watch and also some experience from the group i am going with since this will be their 3rd straight year going.

Ya i wished used prices were better but 30-40% discount from new is worth it to me on these bags since they are so well built i can trust the used packs to hold up.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I would recommend going and watching the RS Backpack shootout and pay attention to what features you want and who has it. Then ask on RS if anyone in your local area has one to try on. Just because it has the features gotta make sure it fits and is comfortable for you. Packs are alot like boots. THey are a very personal thing and what pack works for some may not work for you. If you got the cash I would order a Pack from Kifaru, Exo, Sitka, or whoever you decide has a decent pack you want to try on. slap 35-40 lbs in and go hike and see which one works best. Then you can return the others you decide didnt work. But that will be ao grand tied up.
The Rockslide 2021 pack shootout will give you a good idea of what is out there and everyone is using. This is just my 2 cents. Im definitely not a pro at this stuff.

Dont look for a minimum size for a proposed hunt time. You can always put 2000ci in a 6000ci pack. You cannot put 6000ci in a 2000ci pack.

Marble

WKR
Dont look for a minimum size for a proposed hunt time. You can always put 2000ci in a 6000ci pack. You cannot put 6000ci in a 2000ci pack.
Fact!

I've never been elk hunting and wished I had a smaller pack.

Use the search function and look at gear/clothing lists on here.

I would say the #1 thing newbies do is pack their fears. Pack what you need and will use. Don't pack everything for just in case.

For a 4 to 5 day archery hunt your pack should be less than 50 pounds for sure and somewhere closer to 40 pounds. Some guys here can do it in the low 30s.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Do you have regular backpacking experience? I ask because your level of experience might dictate how dialed your gear is and how much pack you need. Many people could do this trip with a 3500-4000 cu in pack. Others need 5000-6000.

Generally speaking, a MR Metcalf, Exo 3500, 4800, or 5200, or one of several Stone Glacier or Kifaru packs will work. Fair warning though, the used prices aren’t much better than new.

Your best budget bet is a MR Terraframe 80. They can be found on sale for $300-350.

End of thread. Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my Exo 6800. Been carrying 40 - 75 pounds for local camp hunts for the last year. Very happy with it. In fact, I also use it as a day pack. It straps down to a very agile size when desired.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Take a hard look at the Initial Ascent IK4. The hunt you're going on was essentially the same hunt my son and I did in Colorado 2020. This pack was perfect for 4-5 days. Honestly, I could have squeezed in a couple more days of food and gotten 7 days out of it. It's a great pack and it'll haul heavy loads. Their customer service is great.

bline

FNG
One other option would be to get another MR bag to attach to your current frame. Just make sure that the bag will work on whichever frame you have since they recently updated the mountain light to mountain light MT frame and I don't think that bags are interchangeable between the two frames.

Jdw901

FNG
I’ve used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Dana, Lowe Alpine, and REI packs for 4-5 day trips and pack outs. Of those, I recommend the Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs the most highly. They’re durable, well designed, and carry pack out weights well. The difference between the two probably comes down to personal preference (features) and fit, but I don’t think you would go wrong with either.

Ravenk

FNG
A MR Metcalf, Exo 3500, 4800, or 5200, or one of several Stone Glacier or Kifaru packs will work but your best budget bet is a MR Terraframe 80.