Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

22lr

WKR
Such a good idea, best of luck and can't wait to read the outcome! Would be super interesting to see a budget pack (an Osprey, Alps Mountaineering or a lower tier Cabela's guide pack) as a control/see what pack actually gives you best bang for the upgrade money. But totally realize this is going to take awhile so may not be really possible to add low tier options.

For specific tests, definitely would like to see waterproofness with and without a cover (could just be in the yard with the sprinkler for a few hours to be more controlled/not take another 3 months waiting for rain storms while on trips).

Rokwiia

WKR
In my opinion, it isn't possible for there to be a test of the leading packs against each other unless Seek Outside was included in the mix. I'm glad that happened and looking forward to the reviews as well.

md126

WKR
I hear you. I also can't remember ever reading about Kuiu, Sitka, or Eberlestock leading the way in anything performance based.

I disagree. Maybe the load hauling packs are not on the same level as Exo, SG, Kifaru, etc but Sitka and Kuiu are at the top of the mountain (pun intended) as far as performance clothing goes.

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging. Interesting to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few test suggestions:
1. Smear the pack with peanut butter and honey and let a bear maul it.
2. Drop it off a steep cliff fully loaded.
3. Throw it in a wallow and then move it around until completely covered. Then do a five mile ruck.

In all seriousness, looking forward to this.

22lr

WKR
Thinking about this a bit more, a followup suggestion on the waterproofness (let's just agree that its a word) of the packs. I'm thinking it could be done in 4 steps:

1: Weigh packs bone dry with and without the stuff you add .
2: Expose to the sprinkler for a set amount of time, but probably shouldn't be less than an hour with the cover on and only 15-30min without the cover (really allow time for any seams to be fully exploited and water to seep into whatever it can find).
4: After giving the pack a few shakes and letting drip dry for 5 to 10min, reweigh with both gear inside and without.

Repeat with and without pack covers. When not using the pack cover limit to only a 15-30min drenching vs a full hour with the cover. Let the packs dry out for a few days between tests, or just until they are gone back down to their pre-test weight. Would probably want a scale that goes down to ounces and grams for that piece.

My thought is we can see if the pack kept in contents dry, and also if they absorbed any water that you may need to worry about later. By weighing with gear inside you can also give a pretty good semi-scientific (or at least controlled) amount/weight of water that each pack allowed into it. Would eliminate the subjective side of "well this feels wet but not too bad" line of testing. Would love to help set this up if I wasnt currently halfway around the globe...

Tagging along. It would be cool to have multiple guys independently test all of these under the exact same paramaters and then see what kind of patterns and themes emerge from multiple people independently doing the same tests and not sharing notes with each other until the end when they compile it into one epic review. Logistically it would be a little more difficult but it shouldn't take any more time then just one guy doing it, if coordinated correctly. Either way, looking forward to it.

tdot

WKR
Glad to see SO will be included and hope to see the packs evaluated and compared in a way that reflects their pricing. It'd be sad to see the lower priced packs tossed out or perfor poorly because they don't stack up against the top tier packs.

Thanks for taking on this project, it looks like a huge undertaking.

BigKuda

FNG
agree with some others need to toss in the seek to see if that floating system is what's they hype it to

prm

WKR
Great, I always enjoy reviews. Interested in whether it is more of a series of stand alone reviews or actual comparisons. How do you do a comparison test with Kifaru? There are so many customization options that you can’t really quantify volume, layout, and functionality. Looking forward to reading it however the review is done.