Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

bud

FNG
Good job Robby Denning! Should be great pack review. Your doing heck of a job running this site. Leaving threads open for good discussion that lot of sites close.
Carry on.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was there a timeline on this that I missed? It sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to it.
I plan on having part one completed and out no later than end of July but shooting for July 20th.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not trying to crap on your review...there was mention of adding other packs so I thought it would be a better fit than what was mentioned.

Carry on. My old bikini frame is nearing the end of its useable life so I will be watching to see how it goes

SO is in the mix now.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Such a good idea, best of luck and can't wait to read the outcome! Would be super interesting to see a budget pack (an Osprey, Alps Mountaineering or a lower tier Cabela's guide pack) as a control/see what pack actually gives you best bang for the upgrade money. But totally realize this is going to take awhile so may not be really possible to add low tier options.

For specific tests, definitely would like to see waterproofness with and without a cover (could just be in the yard with the sprinkler for a few hours to be more controlled/not take another 3 months waiting for rain storms while on trips).
Absolutely I’m doing that exact thing with a sprinkler, in the yard, no cover to see what the bag itself can handle.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have like to see seek outside in this head to head comparison too, surprised they were left out of a shootout this big. It will still be nice to see basically every other popular pack brands in a head to head like this.

SO is in the mix now.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although these reviews will likely be too late and are also somewhat contingent on hunting success, I will be watching the reviews closely.

Thanks for the reviews to come.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Plan is to have Part 1 and Part 2.
-Part 1: Tests I conduct posted no later than end of July.
-Part 2: Take each pack on a 3-5 day hunt and hopefully haul out an animal with it. Post date to be determined but followers and people interested will be notified.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if it is possible since these will be sized to the OP, but I'd love to see some female perspective on how these adjust and ride. Even if it is just a walk around the block with 20-30 lbs.

My wife and daughter would appreciate it.

Jeremy
I’ll see what I can do.

Thank you for all of your hard work sir. I am looking forward to the results also. I have tried 3 of those packs and have my favorite, but it took years to learn this. I hope that this can help other hunters either just getting into the game or wanting to upgrade their packs to save some valuable time and money.

bozeman

WKR
Following: I’ve had Kifaru, SG, Mystery Ranch, Exo and SG.........I know which one I’ve kept. Would be interesting to see comparison to what I found.
Thanks for this ZH!