Backpack Shootout - 9 Backpacks Go HEAD to HEAD ***Updated 8/5/2020***

MFury

FNG
I’m almost done buying a pack now - new to backpack hunting, new-ish to hunting, not new to backpacking.

Some things to maybe cover that I struggled to find CONSISTENT and COMPARABLE info on. Some sites had it (well done SG), some didn’t (Looking at you Kifaru), and some did a crap job of explaining it (Kuiu, re-read you pack fitment descriptions)

You probably have this stuff, but:
- pack fitment - especially evaluate frame size recommendation to torso length and demonstrate who needs “curved vs flat”
- for newbies like me - compare features to a typical “backpacking” backpack e.g arcteryx and explain why they matter. (Belt design, lumbar is design, frame height, fabric selection, etc)
- for load hauling tests - have at least two or three testers, no one person fits all pack types well, so having some who the pack fits test the load hauling matters. If the review only can say “it wasn’t comfortable for my fit type” than it doesn’t help anyone with a different fit.
- accessories - check to compare like to like (especially for price, weight) with some of the small pouches, lids, etc - some include them, some dont

TravisIN

WKR
Interesting stuff. I’m on my third pack setup. Learning more each time about what I like and dislike vs what I think I’ll like and dislike. Curious to how this turns out. That’s a lot of testing and I’m jealous!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a good line up. I think durability, ability to transport game, weight, and fit (for various body types) is huge. The ability to add additional gear (pockets, gun carries, etc) and comparability with various manufacturers will be great.
Can’t wait to see the results.

HNTR918

WKR
You should have SO send you a copy of this one.
(I like it to much to lend it out.)

comitted

FNG
Looking forward to the results. I agree with including usable volume of pack and how many days of gear can fit in the pack.

For people on a budget can there be a mention to alternative packs that might feature "trickle down technology" to the ones reviewed? For a lot of people the amount of models of packs are overwhelming.